How do so many people remain optimistic?

I have seen alot of negative posts on here lately, in fact I have entered my share, and there are always a few people who jump all over people who enter them. I have been a Bills fan for nearly 40 years, and I don't mean for this to be a negative topic, but how do people remain so optimistic, despite the lack of production from the team, the lack of effort from the Front Office and the unwillingness to spend on Ralph Wilson's part-not to mention selling one of our home games to Canada. I would love to feel optimistic, but it gets harder and harder each year. Are people just looking through rose colored glasses or is there something to feel optimistic about that I am missing?

I have seen alot of negative posts on here lately, in fact I have entered my share, and there are always a few people who jump all over people who enter them. I have been a Bills fan for nearly 40 years, and I don't mean for this to be a negative topic, but how do people remain so optimistic, despite the lack of production from the team, the lack of effort from the Front Office and the unwillingness to spend on Ralph Wilson's part-not to mention selling one of our home games to Canada. I would love to feel optimistic, but it gets harder and harder each year. Are people just looking through rose colored glasses or is there something to feel optimistic about that I am missing?

Hope.

When everything else is gone, there is always Hope.

I'm not optimistic, but it is too early to consider this offseason a failure. Many of the top organizations in football find free agent bargains after the crazy money is spent during the opening weeks of free agency. I think the bills will bring in a few more free agents that will help this team improve. And after that, the posibility of trades still exists. When it is all said and done, I do think the bills will be more talented next year. The question however, is can the win with next years schedule. If Edwards takes a giant step forward they can, if not the bill will probably be mediocre again.

Anyone who posts on a Bills message board throughout the offseason is a rabid fan IMO, and he/she has a valued opinion. Some fans take their dissapointment in the team and allow it to boil over into every opinion and post. I can understand how that frustration builds after years of mediocrity. Other fans stay hopelessly positive and optimistic about a team that is not on the rise once again. I'm only 29 years old and haven't suffered the punishment that some of you have. I have had my share but 40 years of bad teams is beyond my comprehension. Us younger fans need to remember that when defending this team, and understand that the history is as much a part of the anger as is the current team. Does anybody have real playoff hopes for next year? I don't but I know my mood towards the team has no direct effect on what the FO does. So for my own enjoyment I try to hold onto that small amount of hope. The Bills will be gone in my lifetime and we are fortunate to still have them. It's the old is the glass half full or empty argument.(no right answer)

The Bills are like a family member to many of us. A bond so close that you cling to every shred of hope for their success even though what you see is dysfunctional. You'll defend them in any circumstance. You know that better days are ahead.

The reason I feel optimistic is because I feel we have a decent enough team with a few more additions like another offensive lineman (G or C) and TE, as long as we get production from our QB. I believe Trent Edwards will be a special QB who has all the intangibles to be a great one. I think he really suffered after the concussion and basically wasn't right the rest of the season, even though he still had flashes of brilliance like the SD, Denver & KC games post concussion. If I'm right about Edwards, we will be a contender next year. Basically, I'm believing the Bills management is right puting all the eggs in the Edwards basket. If they're wrong, then the pessimists on this board will be totally right, because a team goes as its QB goes. This season will really tell whether Edwards will be the great QB that both the Bills & I expect him to be, or the injury prone loser that his detractors on this board claim about him. If the detractors are proven right, then we will truly suck & have no thoughts of being a contender for at least 2-3 years. If, on the other hand, I'm right, we'll be in the playoffs this season. Since I think I'm right, I'm very optimistic on this team's future.

Hi first post! To answer I'm optimistic because It will be a new year and new beginning. First I'll start with the offense, with the 2nd year under our OC and with Trent getting more experience under his wing there should be an improvement to our O without any change. Trent's play will dictate our season and he better be improved.

We got our Center Hangartner, I live in NC and like him he's young with some experience. Next with our line being upgraded Marshawn and Freddy should both take a step forward this year, and with the upcoming suspension there will be some healthy competition for the starting spot as Freddy will have his time to shine.

Now I believe we'll get a TE in the draft, and Fine will improve from last year (anyway improvement form Royal). At worst case we have Johnson/Hardy and both should improve from last year. Maybe Parrish will find his groove and we get some production from him and with a new TE the passing game should be better. I believe we'll be grabbing a OG before FA is done which completes our line making them better than last year. The only hole I see is the #2 receiver on offense, and who knows this can still get done through FA we still got cash.

Now on Defense, I believe our top 2/3 picks go here. We will get a DE/LB in round #1 and our DB's are good enough to hold the fort if we get pressure. Our LB's will be better with Ellison upgraded, add in a healthy Schobel and a DE who can actually rush the passer improves this defense. I think this is possible to get this done, and our D was decent last year.

I also like not overspending for Coles, and wisely using our money for value. We'll probably pay Freddy/Peters and pick up a OG/OLB instead. There's always hope look at the fins last year! I think were moving forward.

You're not missing anything...As long as that loser is Our HC there is little room for optimism IMHO...Let's see Him prove his doubters wrong...I'm not going to be holding My breath waiting for it though...I'm done with expectations concerning this Team...I expect nothing...This way the disappointment is limited... :lol:

Maybe they have only watched the team for a short period of time. Not enough PAIN!

I think plenty of the optimists come from one of two categories:

1. Younger fans who've only started watching in the past few years and haven't witnessed the ways of RW. Or

2. Fans who would be classified as casual fans, and don't understand when the hard-core fans complain. They're on a different wavelength and if the team loses, no big deal.

There aren't many places where the fans are more loyal, yet have less results-wise. I don't care for the mentality of "we have a team, better support it because they could move." Most of the teams who haven't done well in recent years have made changes, i.e. Miami, Atlanta, Kansas City, even Cleveland. But Buffalo keeps chugging along with the same cast of characters.

If more Bills fans looked around the league at what's happening, they'd realize the Bills are in a small minority of losers. I would hope fans demand more, but I'm not a casual fan who doesn't care about W's and L's.

I think there are 3 types of fans

1. Optimists...of which their number is very few

2. Pessimists...who seem to overreact to everything

3. Realists....who understand that this team has a lot of issues that still have a long ways to go to being fixed...yet aren't throwing in the towel because we aren't throwing tons of money around at big names

I think plenty of the optimists come from one of two categories:

1. Younger fans who've only started watching in the past few years and haven't witnessed the ways of RW. Or

2. Fans who would be classified as casual fans, and don't understand when the hard-core fans complain. They're on a different wavelength and if the team loses, no big deal.

There aren't many places where the fans are more loyal, yet have less results-wise. I don't care for the mentality of "we have a team, better support it because they could move." Most of the teams who haven't done well in recent years have made changes, i.e. Miami, Atlanta, Kansas City, even Cleveland. But Buffalo keeps chugging along with the same cast of characters.

If more Bills fans looked around the league at what's happening, they'd realize the Bills are in a small minority of losers. I would hope fans demand more, but I'm not a casual fan who doesn't care about W's and L's.

Bullsh*t!!

Just because your bitter about the Bills play mediocre football doesn't make you as G.W. Bush would say "the decider" of who is a casual or hardcore fan.

The bottom line is this is not a football issue, it is an issue of positive and negative people. Some people are inherently negative and have never seen the light and other people become bitter with time and acquire negativity through experiences of life and etc.

I promise you, if you see the world with more positive eyes, the world actually does look a little bit better than what you think it does.

I am an eternal optimist in just about every aspect of my life, and I'm as big of a die hard fan as you will find.

The Bills are like a family member to many of us. A bond so close that you cling to every shred of hope for their success even though what you see is dysfunctional. You'll defend them in any circumstance. You know that better days are ahead.

I was with you to the last sentence. Business as usual doesn't really support a dramatic turnaround. And when Ralph dies, all bets are off.

Pessimistic posts are one thing. It is rabid pessimism about EVERYTHING Bills related that tends to get on some people's nerves. There are some posters who will B word and moan about every single little thing, regardless as to whether they should be negative about that specific part of the team or not.

Most people are realistic in their expectations, but hope for better things. They are aware the team has been decidedly average/poor the last few years and have had some pretty wretched seasons the last decade as well. But the way some posters have it you would think the Bills have just finished their third 0-16 record in a row and are about to to make it four...

The non-stop negative posts can get irksome...

The reason I feel optimistic is because I feel we have a decent enough team with a few more additions like another offensive lineman (G or C) and TE, as long as we get production from our QB. I believe Trent Edwards will be a special QB who has all the intangibles to be a great one. I think he really suffered after the concussion and basically wasn't right the rest of the season, even though he still had flashes of brilliance like the SD, Denver & KC games post concussion. If I'm right about Edwards, we will be a contender next year. Basically, I'm believing the Bills management is right puting all the eggs in the Edwards basket. If they're wrong, then the pessimists on this board will be totally right, because a team goes as its QB goes. This season will really tell whether Edwards will be the great QB that both the Bills & I expect him to be, or the injury prone loser that his detractors on this board claim about him. If the detractors are proven right, then we will truly suck & have no thoughts of being a contender for at least 2-3 years. If, on the other hand, I'm right, we'll be in the playoffs this season. Since I think I'm right, I'm very optimistic on this team's future.

i hope you are right because all i see is a noodle arm glove boy afraid to do anything but dump off- once he got figured out by decent teams he was exposed

like a blind squirrel finding a nut and jp he had a good game once in while to give hope to fanatics but i don't see the 'special' in him

i hope I'm wrong because we are done for 3 more years if i'm not

Hi first post! To answer I'm optimistic because It will be a new year and new beginning. First I'll start with the offense, with the 2nd year under our OC and with Trent getting more experience under his wing there should be an improvement to our O without any change. Trent's play will dictate our season and he better be improved.

We got our Center Hangartner, I live in NC and like him he's young with some experience. Next with our line being upgraded Marshawn and Freddy should both take a step forward this year, and with the upcoming suspension there will be some healthy competition for the starting spot as Freddy will have his time to shine.

Now I believe we'll get a TE in the draft, and Fine will improve from last year (anyway improvement form Royal). At worst case we have Johnson/Hardy and both should improve from last year. Maybe Parrish will find his groove and we get some production from him and with a new TE the passing game should be better. I believe we'll be grabbing a OG before FA is done which completes our line making them better than last year. The only hole I see is the #2 receiver on offense, and who knows this can still get done through FA we still got cash.

Now on Defense, I believe our top 2/3 picks go here. We will get a DE/LB in round #1 and our DB's are good enough to hold the fort if we get pressure. Our LB's will be better with Ellison upgraded, add in a healthy Schobel and a DE who can actually rush the passer improves this defense. I think this is possible to get this done, and our D was decent last year.

I also like not overspending for Coles, and wisely using our money for value. We'll probably pay Freddy/Peters and pick up a OG/OLB instead. There's always hope look at the fins last year! I think were moving forward.

Great first post!! :lol:

Free agency isn't over... the draft hasn't even begun, and won't until the end of April...and it is still awhile until training camp.

Lets face it, there is still time for Jauron to save his sorry staff and A$$, considering the fact that they openly stated they need an elite WR opposite Lee Evans, and that the team needs to score more points. This gives me some real hope that the team might actually acquire a player who can help open up the passing game.

Lord knows the current OC is gonna do nothing but call passing plays,even when its a clear running situation. So why not enable the guy to at least have the personnel to make those plays work.

A really good tight end will also help enormously, passing options at RB,TE and another WR besides a possession player just might give the Bills a decent passing offense to compete against the Billicheats.

So yea, a WR and TE worth a damn in either FA or the draft will make my year, and give me hope.

PS, I could care less who they draft defensively, even god playing DE would fail to make the Tampax 2 work by himself, The bills don't have nearly enough talent for that crappy scheme to function the way it should. They will always be run on and will always give up the big play that defensive scheme was purposely designed to stop.

Bullsh*t!!

Just because your bitter about the Bills play mediocre football doesn't make you as G.W. Bush would say "the decider" of who is a casual or hardcore fan.

The bottom line is this is not a football issue, it is an issue of positive and negative people. Some people are inherently negative and have never seen the light and other people become bitter with time and acquire negativity through experiences of life and etc.

I promise you, if you see the world with more positive eyes, the world actually does look a little bit better than what you think it does.

I am an eternal optimist in just about every aspect of my life, and I'm as big of a die hard fan as you will find.

Sounds like your not being so optomistic about our pessimests LOL. Just kidding...listen, I am a realist and numbers and history hardly ever lie. I believe you can have all the talent on the field but at the end of the day the coach has to put the team in the right positions to suceed. Time and time again Dicky J was terrible managing the team on game day. And as long as we are playing the Tampa 2 its gonna be a long season. Thats the reality of it all. Ive been a bills fan for over 30 years and my family has had seasons since the franchis started. Ive seen many teams come and go from bullough, to stevenson, to knox, leavy, williams etc.... And this team out of all of them lacks emotion, savvy, chemistry and a good staff around them! Take a look at jaurons records on the past. Only one winning season, with Chicago and that year they had all the breaks go there way. There is a reason no one is beating down the door for him besides cheap ralph. I will still root the Bills on and follow them through thick and thin, however I wont be lloking for many W's with dick at the wheel.