Rotoworld reporting that the Bengals are nearing a deal with Coles

Some pretty negative "fans" commenting on that page.

How is this negative???

Not shooting down the Bills organization, not crapping on the GM,

just passing a respected journalists story to the board.

If the story is true, the fact he visited us first, and has not signed

yet, kinda made you thing he was not going to be a Bill.

Again, explain how that is negative??

One of the times.

Other time would have been to get Big Ben.

I also wished we got Jordy. Liked his demeanor.

Limas Sweed was available and he's the guy I wanted. He did decently last year too as the fourth receiver. He wasn't much worse than Hardy. The real difference is Hardy caught two TD's and Sweed didn't catch any. I'd still would rather have Sweed.

Limas Sweed was available and he's the guy I wanted. He did decently last year too as the fourth receiver. He wasn't much worse than Hardy. The real difference is Hardy caught two TD's and Sweed didn't catch any. I'd still would rather have Sweed.

Limas was someone I thought we might land. Liked him at the time, but

would have rather drafted Jordy.

How is this negative???

I think he is referring to comments made by Bengals fans on the comment section of the PFT note, not us Bills fans

:beer:

How is this negative???

He meant comments by the Bengals fans below the article that you posted.

Limas was someone I thought we might land. Liked him at the time, but

would have rather drafted Jordy.

Nelson wasn't available to the Bills. I'm basing it on the available players. I do agree with you that if Sweed and Nelson were available I'd have taken Nelson.

How is this negative???

No, no, no... you weren't being negative. The comments on the ProFootballTalk page which you linked to has many negative comments, which of course has no reflection on you. I was talking about them not you. Here is a sample...

The Great Purveyor of Logical Ineptidude says:

Imminent, eh? Just like the next losing season.

kessdaman says:

Only thing imminent is that the Bengals will suck

joebellio says:

Nice move Bungles…..

See Donte’ Stallworthless

bwnyc says:

Laveranues Houshmandzadeh

hopefully they over pay...

Yeah, why overpay...it is not like the Bills have any money or have real needs.

Let's keep hoarding draft picks....shooting for the stars...and taking CB's in the 1st round over and over.

No, no, no... you weren't being negative. The comments on the ProFootballTalk page which you linked to has many negaztive comments, which of course has no reflection on you. I was talking about them not you. Here is a sample...

My bad. :thumbsup:

Maybe I should read the post fully, huh? :beer:

I dont see any indication of a Coles signing in any of the links other than the coach saying more moves were on the way...I mean he didnt even indicate if those moves pertain to the WR position specifically and even sounded like he likes his young guys they drafted last year.

The fact that the deal Coles seems to be seeking is nearly what TJ got, logic would tell me that Cincy wont pay Coles that considering they didnt want to pay TJ that even though TJ is a better WR who knows the system and has great rapport with Palmer.

So, I doubt very much this story...

What happened to a "deal deadline" for Coles in Buffalo? Does andyone know when it actually is? If he doesn't want to be here and would prefer Cincy, screw him. Let him go. I just wish our FO would grow some grapefruits and stand up for themselves. Make the deadline public and then Coles would know that they aren't playing around. I think we could spend the $6 million a year more effectively anyway when it comes down to it. Not saying I wouldn't like to have him on our team, but man up and say whether you're coming to Buffalo or not.

What happened to a "deal deadline" for Coles in Buffalo? Does andyone know when it actually is? If he doesn't want to be here and would prefer Cincy, screw him. Let him go. I just wish our FO would grow some grapefruits and stand up for themselves. Make the deadline public and then Coles would know that they aren't playing around. I think we could spend the $6 million a year more effectively anyway when it comes down to it. Not saying I wouldn't like to have him on our team, but man up and say whether you're coming to Buffalo or not.

feels good to vent sometimes

Regardless of whether or not the Bills sign Coles or not, if we do not get a true #2 WR next year to compliment Evans, there is no chance in hell we will have a winning record.

We don't have a draft pick to spend on a 1st day WR, though Crabtree will be tempting to pass up. As of now, the Bills will go into draft day needing depth for the O-line, a pass rushing DE/OLB, a weakside LB, a safety, a fullback, and almost certainly a TE.

We will probably not be able to sign both Coles and one of the veteran linebackers that have been visiting. And I don't know why we keep bringing in Running Backs, Marshawn could be the next Michael Vick and it wouldn't be feasible for us to cut him. Correct me if I am wrong, but unless we trade him, he would not save us much money in regards to the Salary Cap. He wouldn't net us a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. And Fred Jackson/ Foster would cost us 5-6 TD's IMO.

So, if we don't sign a WR better than Josh Reed, we are in trouble.

Regardless of whether or not the Bills sign Coles or not, if we do not get a true #2 WR next year to compliment Evans, there is no chance in hell we will have a winning record.

We don't have a draft pick to spend on a 1st day WR, though Crabtree will be tempting to pass up. As of now, the Bills will go into draft day needing depth for the O-line, a pass rushing DE/OLB, a weakside LB, a safety, a fullback, and almost certainly a TE.

We will probably not be able to sign both Coles and one of the veteran linebackers that have been visiting. And I don't know why we keep bringing in Running Backs, Marshawn could be the next Michael Vick and it wouldn't be feasible for us to cut him. Correct me if I am wrong, but unless we trade him, he would not save us much money in regards to the Salary Cap. He wouldn't net us a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. And Fred Jackson/ Foster would cost us 5-6 TD's IMO.

So, if we don't sign a WR better than Josh Reed, we are in trouble.

I agree, we'll still need to find a solid #2 reciever for 2009 or this offense will continue to sputter.

No big loss, other WR's available.

Who?

There wasn't a whole lot available in UFA. Looking back the Bills are plagued by the same issues year after year. They legitimately believed Hardy would solve their problems as a #2WR. It's important to think about that for a moment. They trusted their passing game in some part to a rookie WR who wasn't asked to run a NFL like route tree with character issues. That's not a calculated risk, that's a huge gamble. Not surprisingly, he didn't fare well in his rookie season.

Now, we're back at square one looking for a #2. It's the same at OG, LB, etc.

This team in its current form isn't all that much different from the team who went 7-9 against the 2nd easiest schedule in the league next season. How will they fare against the AFC South, AFC North, and AFC East?

Hardy wasn't as much of a gamble as everyone thinks. Did he perform well last season? Not that well. But did he show flashes of what his size can bring if he polishes his route running? YES! We needed a big WR and we got one. Did we miss on Eddie Royal and Jackson? Possibly, but they are also undersized receivers with quick feet. The Bills have two of those and it wasn't worth taking another one. Not to mention, young WR's benefit from 3 things.

1) Who is throwing them the ball

2) What other WR's are on the field

3) What system they are in.

And I will say this:

McNabb +Cutler > Edwards + Losman

Brandon Marshall+ Westbrook > Lee Evans (given their size, strength and ability to run after the catch)

Andy Reid + Shanahan> Jauron.

So yea, I agree Modrak has for the most part been terrible. but don't blame him for Hardy.

Hardy wasn't as much of a gamble as everyone thinks. Did he perform well last season? Not that well. But did he show flashes of what his size can bring if he polishes his route running? YES! We needed a big WR and we got one. Did we miss on Eddie Royal and Jackson? Possibly, but they are also undersized receivers with quick feet. The Bills have two of those and it wasn't worth taking another one. Not to mention, young WR's benefit from 3 things.

Lots of players show flashes. McCargo did. So did Simpson and Youboty, but it doesn't mean they'll do anything.

One thing with Hardy is he doesn't seem to have a feel for the pro game. At times he was completely lost (running incorrect routes) and his route running seems even less than what's expected from a rookie.

There's a lot of time left, but you don't draft a guy in the second and hope he takes the pressure off the WR and even QB. The fact is, he's an unknown entity, and basing your offense around a guy like that is a huge gamble.