Jeff Saturday

turftoe

From what I have read, Polian has his hands full working against the cap and may have to put

the franchise tag on their CB Hayden. Saturday, a 3 time Pro-bowler, who is 34yrs old may be

a free agent. Granted, he is a little long in the tooth, but can still play at a high level. He has a

nasty disposition and is a good leader. I think he could also help Edwards in his progress toward

being a quality NFL QB. I'm sure Payton Manning is a little worried that this guy may get away.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting, seeing which free agents will be allowed to test the

market.

Polian priorities

I like it...hes seems to be playing at a high level still...anything is better than what we have.

I agree. He obviously isn't the long term answer but with a fairly deep center crop in the

upcoming draft, we could draft a quality prospect in the middle rounds and he could learn

from one of the best for the next couple of years.

I agree. He obviously isn't the long term answer but with a fairly deep center crop in the

upcoming draft, we could draft a quality prospect in the middle rounds and he could learn

from one of the best for the next couple of years.

P.S. I like your cupholders!

Centers last for long time and the experienced ones provide stability on the line....We really need a guy with his attitude to rub on folks like Peters and Dockery.....The Center for the Titan Mawae is a well travelled guy and yet he makes many plays....And Polian is usually right about linemen.

Centers last for long time and the experienced ones provide stability on the line....We really need a guy with his attitude to rub on folks like Peters and Dockery.....The Center for the Titan Mawae is a well travelled guy and yet he makes many plays....And Polian is usually right about linemen.

I could not agree more with this post. Lets get ourselves a proven Vet on the line to show these money grubbing slobs what it means to play on the line!

No way.

He is a finesse center who played in a pass happy offense. Doesn't do much for handling the big men of Wilfork, Jenkins and Ferguson in our run game.

Playing here, in the cold, against those big guys, he'd probably look worse than Preston.

I'd have to disagree about him being finesse and only good in the pass game - he routinely beats Wilfork when they play the Pats. In fact, he lit him up on the Joseph Addai touchdown to cap their win in the AFC Championship a couple of years back. He'd be a massive addition to the line and would bring championship experience.

No way.

He is a finesse center who played in a pass happy offense. Doesn't do much for handling the big men of Wilfork, Jenkins and Ferguson in our run game.

Playing here, in the cold, against those big guys, he'd probably look worse than Preston.

what is a "finesse center who plays in a pass happy offense". you sure do know your football

No way.

Saturday wired

Sounds to me like he likes to run the ball.

Saturday would be a DEFINITE upgrade that would bring a needed mindset to our OL. He's played in "big games" for a long time. In the playoffs you're facing the best competition and I can't recall anyone ever saying that he's been outplayed by the guys he was blocking. He's held up against Jamal Williams of the Chargers who's one of the best NT's in the game, Casey Hampton of Pittsburgh who's one of the best, and Travis Johnson of the Texans who's starting to become one of the best. Not to mention they play the Patsies almost every year and he's handled Wilfork. All the guys I've named are really big guys. Williams is 350+, Hampton is 330+, Wilfork is 330+, and Johnson is the lightest at about 310lbs. Saturday has handled them all. I'd take him lining up and making all of the OL calls for the next 3 years. We could then take a C in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft that could actually learn the position behind one of the best in the game.

Interesting in light of the many "we need to draft a Center in round 1" chatter that Saturday was an undrafted FA coming out of North Carolina.

At 295 pounds, I have to wonder how effective he'd be playing against the divison DTs six times a year, despite his experience. Here's his Scouts Inc. profile, just for chuckles:

"Comment: Saturday is a steady, durable and productive veteran. He has been the starting center for Indianapolis since his second season and he's only missed two games since the 2000. He has good initial quickness as a run blocker with good use of angles. He lacks explosion off the ball to create movement, but he has good upper-body strength to lock on quickly. He does a good job working combo blocks and is strong enough to take over and sustain when the guard leaves to make the climb.

He does a good job with his hand placement in a short area. When he tries to climb and block in space, he has some trouble adjusting versus quickness. He will give good effort to cut off angles and make linebackers run around him, but is starting to descend athletically in space. He has trouble with the stouter defensive tackles he faces and will get slightly off balance when they attack the inside of his frame quickly. As a pass-blocker, he is alert and aware. He has good reactions to blitzes and twist games with good change of direction. He can pivot and punch and has average strength to anchor an inline power rush. He doesn't show a lot of range or foot quickness to slide deep or wide before having to open his hips."

I say we first pursue Brown for the long-term solution. The guy is an absolute beast. And if we can't get him. Then let's go after saturday for a 2 year contract and pay the man a lot. Along with a TE, our offense could be very good with all of our talent. He still played at a high level last year, and it was not a coincidence the colts got hot the game he came back.

As I said in the Alex Mack post yesterday, the most coveted center in free agency (provided that the Ravens don't work out a long term deal) is Jason Brown. He is young, getting better and is already superb.

Jason Brown #60 C

Birth Date May 5, 1983

Birth Place Henderson, NC

Height 6-3

Weight 320 lbs.

Age 25

Position C

Experience 4 years

College North Carolina

ProfileStatsSplitsGame LogNewsScouting InsiderPhotos

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 78 | Key

Alert: None

"Comment: Brown is a big, strong and wide-bodied interior offensive lineman who has a very thick lower body that makes him difficult to move backwards. Brown played both guard and center in college. While he has only played guard in the NFL, he is capable of handling the pivot and should do an excellent job against massive nose tackle types from the center position. He is a very powerful man who can push a pile or anchor against bigger pass rushers. He is a mauler who puts smaller men on their back and he shows a willingness to finish his blocks. Brown has heavy hands and can stun opposing linemen with his punch and long arms. He is a smart player who acclimated to the NFL quickly and has good recognition of stunts and blitzes. While he continues to improve in this area, Brown is still much better coming forward than retreating in pass protection. He isn't a very good space player and once beaten, can struggle to recover against quicker, more athletic interior pass rushers. He is a two-year starter who should continue to improve. He works hard and is well respected. The Ravens need to be careful with his tender because if they tender him too low, many teams around the league could pounce on Brown. He is a legitimate starter on a power-running team and his stock should continue to rise."

This scouting report was written prior to the 2008 season. He played very well at center and is considered a team leader already. He's the only Ravens lineman to start every game the last two seasons. Elsewhere he's described as quick and explosive. Put him on our line and the Bills could run the ball at will.

Put him on our line and the Bills could run the ball

Agreed. Brown is exactly the kind of FA the Bills should be targeting, rather than high priced 'name' players. Hard to see the Ravens letting him go, 'tho. Still, word is the 'Fins want to take a run at him... ;)

Sounds like a really mature guy for his age...hard to believe this guy won't be a top-5 Center for a long, long time.

Agreed. Brown is exactly the kind of FA the Bills should be targeting, rather than high priced 'name' players. Hard to see the Ravens letting him go, 'tho. Still, word is the 'Fins want to take a run at him... ;)

Absolutely!! Overpay by a tad bit if you got to get him. I'm sure that Parcells will be looking to scoop him since they cut their center, citing lack of physicality.

I think that Bills would do far better focusing on the draft than on free agents, especially big name ones. This is especially true as a small market team. John Madden always says that free agents hurt the team that they leave more than they help the team they go to and I agree with him. They are usually expensive players and there's no way to know what the "fit" will be like with a new team. You are essentially paying for what they did at their previous team without knowing if they can do it for yours (different system, coaches, teammates, etc.).