Jeff Saturday

turftoe

I think that Bills would do far better focusing on the draft than on free agents, especially big name ones. This is especially true as a small market team. John Madden always says that free agents hurt the team that they leave more than they help the team they go to and I agree with him. They are usually expensive players and there's no way to know what the "fit" will be like with a new team. You are essentially paying for what they did at their previous team without knowing if they can do it for yours (different system, coaches, teammates, etc.).

That certainly applies to guys on the wrong side of 30 with big-time name recognition. But guys in their mid-20s with a lot of 'tread on the tire' are absolute game changers if you can get them (which is why so few actually change uniforms, compared to the 'name' guys).

I think that Bills would do far better focusing on the draft than on free agents, especially big name ones. This is especially true as a small market team. John Madden always says that free agents hurt the team that they leave more than they help the team they go to and I agree with him. They are usually expensive players and there's no way to know what the "fit" will be like with a new team. You are essentially paying for what they did at their previous team without knowing if they can do it for yours (different system, coaches, teammates, etc.).

there is some truth to that. Selecting Free Agents is a tricky process. I have always been a proponent of not signing someone based on reward but his potential. There is no doubt that the best teams build through the draft, but FA does have it's place. Look at the Patriots: Moss, Welker, Rodney Harrison, Seau, Mcginnest, Faulk etc. etc.

So if you do right, which is easier said than done, then it can be effective.

Agreed. Brown is exactly the kind of FA the Bills should be targeting, rather than high priced 'name' players. Hard to see the Ravens letting him go, 'tho. Still, word is the 'Fins want to take a run at him... ;)

Sounds like a really mature guy for his age...hard to believe this guy won't be a top-5 Center for a long, long time.

I don't think the Bills can afford to pay a 6year 50M dollar contract like for Dockery for a center when they also would have to pay a similar contract to Peters. I just don't see 4 of the 5 guys on the OL making 5 to 10M per year. The BILLS will have to either get a option-2 on the line or have to draft earlier......How it would have been great to get that center instead of the bust DT McCargo......

The BILLS have FAILED to build that OL through the draft and that is HURTING THEM....

I don't think the Bills can afford to pay a 6year 50M dollar contract like for Dockery for a center when they also would have to pay a similar contract to Peters.

IIRC, hasn't Dockery received most of his contract money already in terms of up-front bonuses (maybe Clumpy could answer this)? Also, FUG Peters...make him play the year under his existing contract and work something out in 2010, at which point the team will still have lots of cap/cash-2-cap space to work with...

IIRC, hasn't Dockery received most of his contract money already in terms of up-front bonuses (maybe Clumpy could answer this)? Also, FUG Peters...make him play the year under his existing contract and work something out in 2010, at which point the team will still have lots of cap/cash-2-cap space to work with...

If Peters avoids another off season, we would be horrible on the left side. For this team to provide better protection to Trent, it needs Peters in camp.....They have to address his contract as promised last year...If I remember Dockery got 15M guaranteed money and then the remaining 35M was prorated over the 5 or 6 years of his contract. How you slice and dice you will be paying 5+M for Dockery, and our RT each. And Peters ball park will be somewhere around 8M a year.....I just don't see the Bills be able to spend that kind of change on the line.

The Bills MUST CONTINUE to build their line in the draft.....