Major Plane Crash in Clarence Center (50 dead)

PTS

Kota, My condolences to your friends family and to all of the families who are going through this tragedy. As the day wears on I am sure we will have more connections to the crash.

I received 3 calls already by 9 am from acquaintances checking in on me. People from my industry know I am from Buffalo, but live in the NY area and assumed I may try to take advantage of the upcoming 3 day weekend.

Hang tight everyone, I am sure we will be hearing about more of our connections through this extended family we have here on TBD.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to call my Aunt in Tonawanda this AM to make sure my cousins husband wasn't on the flight. He fly's regularly out of BUF on business and in fact flew the exact same flight last Thursday night, but thank God he was in town this week and not travelling.

I used to not mind flying those Turbo Props, but had a couple unpleasant experiences. My sister was bumped from a flight from ATL to BUF and put on a Turboprop last Winter and I couldn't believe the Airlines would put profit above Safety to fly those things into Buffalo during inclement weather.

Not 100% sure, but the last major plane crash near Buffalo was a prop plane back in the 50's that crashed in Great Valley (between Ellicottville and Salamanca), plus the 2 Allegany Airlines Prop plane crashes in Bradford Christmas eve 69', and New Years 70'.

My prayers are with those familes and friends...

I had to call my Aunt in Tonawanda this AM to make sure my cousins husband wasn't on the flight. He fly's regularly out of BUF on business and in fact flew the exact same flight last Thursday night, but thank God he was in town this week and not travelling.

I used to not mind flying those Turbo Props, but had a couple unpleasant experiences. My sister was bumped from a flight from ATL to BUF and put on a Turboprop last Winter and I couldn't believe the Airlines would put profit above Safety to fly those things into Buffalo during inclement weather.

Not 100% sure, but the last major plane crash near Buffalo was a prop plane back in the 50's that crashed in Great Valley (between Ellicottville and Salamanca), plus the 2 Allegany Airlines Prop plane crashes in Bradford Christmas eve 69', and New Years 70'.

My prayers are with those familes and friends...

Easy, easy. They are safe. Those Dash 8s are like the Toyota Corolla of air travel. Very solid aircraft.

Thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends of the victims and the community at large. This is devastating all around.

As a firefighter I attended a seminar on responding to plane crashes, and dealing with the aftermath. It was very difficult, not physically but emotionally. You don't expect to have to deal with that as a small-town fire department. So in addition to the immediate victims I pray for the first responders who will also carry this with them forever.

Please be sure, someone, to post and pin any memorial fund/etc.

I am always shocked at how bad news coverage of these kinds of events is.

Everything I know about this tragedy I know from this thread and a quick glance at MSNBC.com. I have no desire to watch all the news agencies foam at the mouth with excitement over something new and gruesome to report.

Kota...my condolences to your friend.

I lived in Clarence; parent still in that house, in between the crash site and the airport. I used to hate when planes used that approach - all conversation stopped while they went over. The crash site is roughly 8-9 miles from the airport (my parents house in between at about 4 miles from the airport).

I looked on the map - it looked like the intersection we used to refer to as "four corners" - am I right? I used to date a girl that lived a few houses down from the intersection. When I lived there, there was a whole lotta nothing outside those few blocks, too.

Tragic. Thoughts and prayers out to my hometown folks.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but virtually every time I've flown into Buffalo over the past two years the approach into the airport has felt harrowing. Like we fly very low over houses for what seems like many minutes before landing - that low altitude combined with our typical crazy winds that seem to knock the airplane around, always has me at the edge of my seat. And this is usually in much larger aircraft.

It's a supposed eyewitness who crept onto the scene to get gruesome footage. His camera was confiscated and he was arrested but he gives a detailed account of what he saw.

Assuming that it's true -- his rights were violated. Authorities have no right to confiscate your film, even if you take photos/video while trespassing.

Except as evidence in an investigation...which it was.

IANAL, but that doesn't seem accurate to me - otherwise any photographing/recording of police officers could be considered "evidence in an investigation." I think they need a court order regardless.

http://carlosmiller.com/2009/01/21/do-poli...te-your-camera/

I'd be interested to know the real legal answer on it though.

Updated list

Crew members:

• Capt. Marvin Renslow, pilot, of Lutz, Fla.

• Rebecca Shaw, first officer, of Maple Valley, Wash.

• Matilda Quintero, flight attendant.

• Donna Prisco, flight attendant.

• Capt. Joseph Zuffoletto, off-duty crew member.

___

Passengers:

• Alison Des Forges, of Buffalo, considered one of the world's leading experts on the genocide in Rwanda.

• Beverly Eckert, of Stamford, Conn., whose husband died in the World Trade Center attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

• Ellyce Kausner, student at Florida Coastal School of Law.

• Maddy Loftus, of Parsippany, N.J. Headed to Buffalo for weekend reunion of women hockey players.

• Coleman Mellett, guitarist in jazz musician Chuck Mangione's band.

• Gerry Niewood, saxophonist and member of jazz musician Chuck Mangione's band.

• Susan Wehle, of Amherst, N.Y. Was cantor at Temple Beth Am in Williamsville.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but virtually every time I've flown into Buffalo over the past two years the approach into the airport has felt harrowing. Like we fly very low over houses for what seems like many minutes before landing - that low altitude combined with our typical crazy winds that seem to knock the airplane around, always has me at the edge of my seat. And this is usually in much larger aircraft.

I hate that approach as well. Youre low and getting bounced all over the place. Thats got nothing to do with the accident, but its just uncomfortable.

Coming into JFK for the 31s is like that, too. Youre low, over the water for a while and a lot of times its bumpy as hell.