Ten thoughts on Super Bowl 43

What a great game. Close through and through, came down to the end. I enjoyed this game more than last year's.

I'm a little gassy from all the chicken wings and Heinekens.

So here are my ten thoughts from the game:

1. James Harrison was the DPOY and showed why. That pick-six was awesome.

2. Coach Whisenhunt showed how to use your challenges. Watch this game tape Dick.

3. What was with all the penalties? Some of those were questionable at best, very wishy-washy. Just let 'em play.

4. Larry Fitzgerald set a post-season record for receiving TDs. Congrats.

5. Santonio Holmes came of age and made a lot of great catches. Wow, what a finish. Well deserved MVP too.

6. Coach Tomlin is the youngest HC to win the SB. Congrats.

7. Defense wins championships.

8. Big Ben was incredible moving around in the pocket. It's crazy to see such a big man move around like that.

9. Blitzburgh brought the pressure and did a good job of pressuring Warner for the most part.

10. Six Lombardi's for Pittsburgh. I just want one. Please God, just one.

What a great game. Close through and through, came down to the end. I enjoyed this game more than last year's.

2. Coach Whisenhunt showed how to use your challenges. Watch this game tape Dick.

3. What was with all the penalties? Some of those were questionable at best, very wishy-washy. Just let 'em play.

5. Santonio Holmes came of age and made a lot of great catches. Wow, what a finish. Well deserved MVP too.

8. Big Ben was incredible moving around in the pocket. It's crazy to see such a big man move around like that.

9. Blitzburgh brought the pressure and did a good job of pressuring Warner for the most part.

Very well said. I would have been less classy about #10 tho.

1. James Harrison was the DPOY and showed why. That pick-six was awesome. I Agree, but showed some dirty play with that punch, should have been ejected.

2. Coach Whisenhunt showed how to use your challenges. Watch this game tape Dick. Great point!

3. What was with all the penalties? Some of those were questionable at best, very wishy-washy. Just let 'em play. Before the game began there was talk about how many penalties that crew calls per game. Their average was slightly higher then the NFL average per game.

4. Larry Fitzgerald set a post-season record for receiving TDs. Congrats. I love this guy! Thats the type of big WR we need.

5. Santonio Holmes came of age and made a lot of great catches. Wow, what a finish. Well deserved MVP too. I agree, I wouldnt know what to do if Big Ben got it. I cant stand him.

6. Coach Tomlin is the youngest HC to win the SB. Congrats. I agree, great coach. We can only dream.

7. Defense wins championships. A pass rush wins them....when you get after the QB everyone shines.

8. Big Ben was incredible moving around in the pocket. It's crazy to see such a big man move around like that. Very slick indeed, but I would have loved to see him get leveled.

9. Blitzburgh brought the pressure and did a good job of pressuring Warner for the most part. And Warner did fairly well avoiding it.

10. Six Lombardi's for Pittsburgh. I just want one. Please God, just one. I agree......

Cheers for this post. My thoughts exactly.....and our day will come.

I was shocked that the last fumble wasn't reviewed. It seemed to be pretty clearly a forward pass and they didn't even bother reviewing it! Cards should have gotten a final crack at the endzone in my book. It left the end of the game a little unsatisfying cause I thought the Cards got hosed on that one.

Otherwise I thought the game was pretty good - too many big penalties though and, as you said, a lot of them were pretty marginal.

I was shocked that the last fumble wasn't reviewed. It seemed to be pretty clearly a forward pass and they didn't even bother reviewing it! Cards should have gotten a final crack at the endzone in my book. It left the end of the game a little unsatisfying cause I thought the Cards got hosed on that one.

Otherwise I thought the game was pretty good - too many big penalties though and, as you said, a lot of them were pretty marginal.

I'm happy the game did not turn on some horrible ref's call or stupid play by either team. AZ took the lead. Pitt took it back. They earned the win. At least the Cards covered the spread.

PTR

I admire Harrison and his play.....but ejection should have happen for him. I think if it was a regular season game he would have.......I think he knows he was wrong.

Yeah. He's 30 years old, he should know better and focus his anger into his play when making tackles and sacks, not this crap. There's no place for that in the NFL.

Great Post, I totally agree. Please add a #11. Why in the hell would any network have Matt Millen on it as an expert??? Are you kidding me?? He totally ruined the Detroit franchise and was the principal reason they went 0-16 and set a dubious record. Unbeliveable to have him stitting next to Tony Dungee and Mike Holmgren. He disgraces them, I couldnt believe it.

Great Post, I totally agree. Please add a #11. Why in the hell would any network have Matt Millen on it as an expert??? Are you kidding me?? He totally ruined the Detroit franchise and was the principal reason they went 0-16 and set a dubious record. Unbeliveable to have him stitting next to Tony Dungee and Mike Holmgren. He disgraces them, I couldnt believe it.

I was saying that too! How can this guy be on TV. Everyone in football knows what a dolt he is. He took over a bad Detroit team and made them worse. He drove that team into the ground, culminating in a 0-16 season. I'm am utterly amazed that he is welcome on a football TV set. How can anyone take him seriously knowing what he did in Detroit? He is fresh off a disaster, what a joke. He is full of crap.

Mike Tomlin made Dick Jaronisque mistakes in the big game....

On 4th and a inch in the 1st drive, he chose the FG rather than punching it in. Worst case if they don't make it, the Cards get the ball at their 1inch line and either punt and give great field position or have a INT/Fumble....Plus that kind of rattling of the offense would have set the tone for the rest of the game.

The Fitzgerald TD was definitely where the ball touched the ground and TOmlin was not quick enough to challenge it.....

Once again Big Ben and Dick LeBeaus defense bailed out the youngest SB winning HC.

one thing the NBC crew never mentioned at the time - that the Pburgh safety wasn't all that big of a deal as compared to a punt. a safety still requires cards to score a td, but steelers get a much better kickoff location. a punt from your own endzone is a nightmare. If that was belichick, he may have taken a safety if it came to 4th down.

Easy on Millen.........he had some very kind words to say about Ralph Wilson and how deserving he was to be in the HOF

Mike Tomlin made Dick Jaronisque mistakes in the big game....

On 4th and a inch in the 1st drive, he chose the FG rather than punching it in.

Yeah, those 3 points were meaningless.

He definitely should have tried to punch it in a 3rd time when half the Zona front7 was hanging out in the Stiller backfield. :beer:

The Fitzgerald TD was definitely where the ball touched the ground and TOmlin was not quick enough to challenge it.....

Do you know who Bert Emanuel is?

Pissing away a 2ndhalf timeout in a tight game on an unwinnable challenge would have been the rookie mistake.

Yeah, Tomlin really reminded me of Jauron tonight. :thumbsup:

Yeah, those 3 points were meaningless.

He definitely should have tried to punch it in a 3rd time when half the Zona front7 was hanging out in the Stiller backfield. :thumbsup:

Do you know who Bert Emanuel is?

Pissing away a 2ndhalf timeout in a tight game on an unwinnable challenge would have been the rookie mistake.

Yeah, Tomlin really reminded me of Jauron tonight. :thumbsup:

:beer:

Challenging that touchdown call would have been a MASSIVE mistake. Something Dick would do to blow a timeout. Of course, the only time you'll ever see Jauron anywhere near the Super Bowl is if he's hawking merchandise at one of the concession stands.

Great game, I just get sad thinking of how sweet it would be to see the Bills lift up the trophy. To me, the Steelers are everything I wish the Bills were...menacing defense, mean offense built around the run game, great coaching....why? WHY can't we get that again?!?!

It wasn't a forward pass....Warner lost control of the ball and his hand pushed it forward. I thought at the time that you could make a case for challenging the play, but it was clear to me that it was a fumble. No sense in delaying the inevitable.

It's too bad Warner didn't get that pass away - imagine winning the Super Bowl on a hail mary??? :beer:

Game was somewhat entertaining.

Not sure what you were hoping for, but for a game where we (Bills fans) didn't have a horse in the race, it was definately an entertaining Super Bowl. Yes, many penalties and a handful of turnovers doesn't make for a perfect title game as befits conference champions. BUT, it had a 100 yard pick-six -by a freakin' DE no less; a safety that turned into a go-ahead TD from the team that suffered the worst last play of a first half in NFL history -not to mention SB. The best WR's in the league this year performed like they were the best; moxy shown all night by veteran QB's; huge 4th quarter comeback led to late game lead changes; the game was in doubt untill 5 seconds remained.

Again, not sure of your standards, but I thoroughly enjoyed my Sunday evening.

Oh, and I won $200.00 on a square! :beer: