Superbowl memories

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One play that was especially painful for me was one that wasn't even in a Super Bowl but significant in that it prevented the Bills from possibly going to a Super Bowl sooner than they actually did in SB XXV.

The play: the Ronnie Harmon dropped end zone pass against the Browns in the playoffs in 1989 or 1990. It was a soft pass right in his hands. Painful.

The Talley missed tackle, the Thurman fumble up 13-6, and the Beebe drops are all solid nominees.

Does anyone get a sweeter deal than Beebe as far his performance vs. rep? The guy drops multiple TD's vs. the Skins and nobody cares because he ran down a fat clown the following year.

In addition to the many listed Super Bowl XXV plays listed, i want to add: The Bills defense choking and allowing the giants to score a TD with 10 seconds left in the first half. We could have gone into the locker room up 12-6 or 12-3, but no, it was 12-10 and an entirely different ball game.

How about all of them

Yep.

There was also a third and short drop by a wide open Reed in SB XXV in Gint territory that caused a punt. Catch it, and we're in field goal position...

This thread sucks! :beer: How 'bout one mentioning good/great SB plays?

Ingram catching that pass on 3rd and long and broke somewhere around a dozen Bills' arm tackles to pick up the first down, which I assume the 3rd and forever play the previous poster mentioned.

Agreed! The Bills secondary was pathetic.

Any play with Mark Kelso...very haunting.

Good one. I can still hear Dick Enberg saying "it's like they're playing with 10 men on defense" when referring to how deep Kelso played in coverage as the Cowboys gashed us.

Besides Scott Norwoods field goal, what ONE play still haunts you. Mine is from the Bills last Superbowl against Dallas. Up 10-6 late in the 2nd half Nate Odomes intercepted Aikman. Kelly drove the Bills down the field to inside the 15 with time for one more play. This is the play, the Bills ran that pathetic shuttle pass to Thurman Thomas for a few yards, then kicked a field goal to take a 13-6 lead a half. They should thrown to the endzone. They could had a 17-6 half time lead and got the ball first in the second half. That would of taken out the Dallas run game and they would of won. OH well. Happy Super Sunday. :wallbash:

I STILL CANT WATCH ANY RE AIRING OF A BILLS SUPERBOWL ON THE NFL NETWORK.IT HURTS ME TO MUCH ESPECIALLY 25 AND 28. THOSE ARE THE ONE WE SHOULD HAVE WON.

Oh, God ... It's January, 1993, in the Georgiqa Dome. I am walking down the aisle to my seat holding two large, cold ones. My timing was - for once - close to perfect. I say "close" because the Bills actually received the second half kickoff while I was walking down the aisle. So as I am about to start walking down my row to join Harv (AlbanyNY) I see that Kelly is ready to run the first play. So I do the polite thing and stop at the end of the row so as not to block people's view by being that idiot (and there's one at EVERY NFL game) who walks in front of you WHILE there's a play being run. Kelly hands it to Thurman for the Bills' first offensive play of the second half of their third Super Bowl. I was smiling. I was happy. Why not; we were up a TD at the time. Thurman disappears into a crowd of players and I say "play over" and look down at my feet, trying then to negotiate my way around the size-seventeen feet of the clueless suit attending his first game of any type. So I hear a crowd buzz and I think "what, a fight after the play, perhaps?" So I turn around and see James Washington runing down the field, and he's got Jim Kelly and John Fina chasing him desperately. (*sigh*) Ever see a Dodge Ram and an F-250 street drag a Lamborghini Diabo when the Diablo has a half-mile head start? Yeah, same result.

-

Worst part was that the Bills started playing like theye were down, even though the play merely tied the score. Worse yet, they started ACTING like they were down. Heads hung, aggressive play-calling abandoned ... it was a benchmark play in my mind.

Mine wasn't really one play but one drive. The drive leading up to the Norwood "Wide Right", it appeared to me that they could have gotten closer, but were content with the longer field goal attempt. I thought the play selection was terrible, to the point that I was not surpised at all when he missed the kick, in fact I even told the individuals watching with me that he would have a tough time making that kick.

One play that was especially painful for me was one that wasn't even in a Super Bowl but significant in that it prevented the Bills from possibly going to a Super Bowl sooner than they actually did in SB XXV.

The play: the Ronnie Harmon dropped end zone pass against the Browns in the playoffs in 1989 or 1990. It was a soft pass right in his hands. Painful.

Same here -- it was '89. That was even worse because I was watching the game with my college roommate who was from Cleveland. :wallbash:

Or how about the delay of game penalty nullifying the 4th down conversion late in the game v. Cincy (I forget what year). Where were the Ravens-Titans officials that day? Plenty of non-SB heartbreak to choose from too.

Besides Scott Norwoods field goal, what ONE play still haunts you. Mine is from the Bills last Superbowl against Dallas. Up 10-6 late in the 2nd half Nate Odomes intercepted Aikman. Kelly drove the Bills down the field to inside the 15 with time for one more play. This is the play, the Bills ran that pathetic shuttle pass to Thurman Thomas for a few yards, then kicked a field goal to take a 13-6 lead a half. They should thrown to the endzone. They could had a 17-6 half time lead and got the ball first in the second half. That would of taken out the Dallas run game and they would of won. OH well. Happy Super Sunday. :wallbash:

Do you recall a similar play one week earlier against KC? The Bills faced 3rd and goal inside the 10 yard line. Kelly changed the play and called a run to Thurman , who scored on the play. It's always a good call when it works.......

Do you recall a similar play one week earlier against KC? The Bills faced 3rd and goal inside the 10 yard line. Kelly changed the play and called a run to Thurman , who scored on the play. It's always a good call when it works.......

Jimmy Johnson recently said that it was by shear fluke that the Cowboys even practiced and prepared for those shuttle passes, which were not a part of the Bills offensive package at that time. He was watching a news clip from the Bills practice and noticed Kelly flipping the ball like that to Thurman. Uggg. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Here are some of the plays that I still have nightmares about in addition to the ones already cited:

Super Bowl XXV

1. The entire series AFTER the safety. The Bills had all of the momentum. They had the ball in very good field position. Then Andre Reed dropped two VERY catchable passes, which led to a 3-and-out. A TD (or even a FG) there puts the Bills up enough that the Giants would have been more of a desperate mode, which was NOT their style. Instead, they end teh half with a 8 or 9 minute drive to pull within 2 and start the second half in similar fashion.

2. The McKellar shoestring catch which was originally called incomplete -- but was reviewed and called a catch by the officials. We were out of timeouts and the catch only netted a few yards. It wound up hurting us because the team had to run to the line, waste valuable seconds -- and spike the ball (thereby losing a down). No one remembers that play because the next one, the third down play, was the great draw by Thurman that set up the ill-fated FGA.

Super Bowl XXVI

1. Just in general, the enormous number of dropped passes in that game.

2. Also, in general, the inability of the DL to put any pressure on Rypien at all. I think they sacked him on the first drive -- but he went practically untouched the rest of the game. That was one of the all time great OLs that we went up against -- and our DL was coached by Chuck Dickerson, who was promptly fired after the game.

3. Of all of the SBs I have come to peace the most with that one, simply because the Redskins were a better team overall.

Super Bowl XXVII

1. The 3rd down smack-down that Ken Norton put on Thurman (or was it Kenny Davis?) inside the one yard line. That led to the 4th down play that started the flood of turnovers in that game, when Kelly threw the interception in the endzone. People forget that the Bilsl actually led that game 10-0 at one time. A TD there would have likely brought about a different result.

Super Bowl XXVIII

1. Like everyone else, I have to go with the early 3rd quarter fumble. The team is ahead by a TD. They get the ball first in the second half. Aikman is not having an especially great game. The offense is moving the ball pretty well on that drive... and then... and then... You could just sense the team deflate. "here we go again!" they were obviously thinking. The Cowboys tie the game, Thurman goes into a shell, the offense recoils, and the Cowboys are able to get into a groove running the ball with Emmitt. If Thurman doesn't fumble, the Bills probably score at minimum a FG on that drive. And, if nothing else, it takes the Cowboys out of their run-first game plan.

Final drive in XXV...Bills are deep in their own territory and a handoff to Thurman almost broke...the Giants were playing eight DBs and if it wasn't for a shoestring tackle by a Giant DB at about our 40, Thurman would have scored. Thurman had one guy to beat...and that one guy dove, stuck out his arm and saved the game for NY.

18 years ago and I can see the play like it was yesterday.... :wallbash:

Superbowl against the Cowboys, Early drive in the second half, We're driving and Kelly throws a pass to Metzellars, Metzellars slips and Cowboys intercept the ball and the rest is history....

I remember that game, Jimmy Johnson makes the decisions for the Cowboys to wear special shoes for the games so the players wouldnt slip as much and I think that made a big difference in the final outcome.

Worst part was that the Bills started playing like theye were down, even though the play merely tied the score. Worse yet, they started ACTING like they were down. Heads hung, aggressive play-calling abandoned ... it was a benchmark play in my mind.

Exactly - sitting there you could actually "feel" the confidence rise up like a puff of smoke. And Thurman didn't help going up and down the line apologizing. He acted like an idiot and I don't think even Marv knew how to get the team's momentum back. Very sad.