Anyone else still finding it hard to get excited about FA or the Draft

Virgil

I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but I just cannot get into all of these conversations about who we should draft. I didn't even care to watch the Senior Bowl. And usually at this time, I'm already planning what couch cushion i'll be planted on during Draft Day. In previous years, it was so obvious what position we needed and I always thought that, if we got them, that we could be a contender next year. Then, I'd either be really stoked or really pissed. Last year, I was stoked.

However, I still don't think that there is any one position that is really going to make a difference. There are logical choices of what the Bills should do, but after the retention of DJ, I just have absolutely no faith in the Bills Front Office. Many of you say draft a DE, but I just don't see it happening considering the amount of money already being spent at that position, unless someone gets cut.

Others are talking about a DT, some Raji guy, but is that really a need? Stroud got double teamed all last year and just did a great job. I mean, what's better than 1 beast at DT, is 2 Beasts at DT, but still

Lastly, the TE that most people are talking about from Oklahoma. Has anyone read the line on this guy? He is a headcase with no speed. He's just a great blocker with good hands. Hello, we've had that for years. We need someone who can get downfield and open up the middle of the field.

The linebackers from USC? Sure I guess. We definitely need another playmaker on D.

I don't know. Maybe Free Agency will change my mind. But I just still think that anyone we bring in will be turned into a cupcake by our coaching staff. They be more happy to be loved by their coach than upset at a losing 7-9 season.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way. I think it is due mostly to knowing the division we are in and the coach we have. Any bit of common sense or logic pins us as the 3rd or 4th seed in the afc east.

This all quickly changes if we get a couple studs in here like peppers and suggs. I think from a business mindset, they need to make some big splashes to sell seats next year kind of like the 2003 season.

I could care less while Disappointed Dick is our HC. He will just get the very least out of anyone that is drafted or acquired. I watched a couple of senior bowl practices and most of the game, but never was I thinking about who the Bills should draft. Last season and the retention of Jauron has taken the sails out of my wind.

I think it's more of a "cautious pessimism" for me....I'm afraid that nothing significant will happen during free agency or the draft.

I'm more concerned about the team we'll have going into training camp, so I'm just curious to see what will happen. If we get a player or two in free agency and the draft yields something I'd like to see, then I'll have some excitement going into the season.

The off-season is usually the highlight of the season for Bills fans, IMO. After the season is over, everyone's undefeated in 09 at least until September.

I don't have any confidence in the Bills front office either because Ralph has absolute control. We also know Brandon isn't anything more than a public face, and has little say when it matters most. If what we read was true about who favored and opposed keeping DJ, I'd say Russ objected strongly and went against Ralph given the marketing angle he's been handed.

If the very guy who was promoted to COO and quasi GM doesn't have enough say, then what else can RW swoop in and overrule him about?

I've found myself becoming less attatched to this kind of stuff. I love talking football with you guys for sure, I love the Bills, and I love speculating about what we will do. It gives me a form of hope for the new season, but I'm also a realist. Unless I see some top notch players coming our way, I don't get too excited. This year taught me that above all others. 4-0 and then 5-1 to finish 7-9 :blink: I was talking all kinds of trash about us winning the division and doing something in the playoffs ;) and then the wheels fell off and rolled out of sight. Am I still excited about the draft and FA? HECK YEAH!!! I don't think that will ever change.

Others are talking about a DT, some Raji guy, but is that really a need? Stroud got double teamed all last year and just did a great job. I mean, what's better than 1 beast at DT, is 2 Beasts at DT, but still

So the prospect of Stroud being just one on one against an OL instead of two or three is not a good reason to be excited? He did a great job and so did Kyle Williams but if McCargo is cut we need another body. I'm a big fan of Kyle Williams but he would be better suited to be a rotational guy only.

Taking Raji at 11# is what this team needs.

I don't know. Maybe Free Agency will change my mind. But I just still think that anyone we bring in will be turned into a cupcake by our coaching staff. They be more happy to be loved by their coach than upset at a losing 7-9 season.

That pretty much sums up what I think...

I really don't think it's possible that The Bills can stockpile enough talent to overcome Dead Dick and his losing ways...We'll see soon enough... :blink:

The Bills track record in free agency and the draft since the Donohoe administration has been less been less than inspiring. Therefore, it is difficult to be excited about the offseason. Interesting how Kollar abandons the team for a better opportunity. That says it all.

That pretty much sums up what I think...

I really don't think it's possible that The Bills can stockpile enough talent to overcome Dead Dick and his losing ways...We'll see soon enough... :blink:

I'm looking forward to 2010. Because I know deep down Dick Jauron will provide another mediocre season of poor decisions, poor clock management, poor challenges and just all-around underpreparedness to get this team to a 5-11 record next year. Then he will be fired and we'll have anybody else on the sidelines. Optimism reniewed.

I don't ever wish for the Bills to lose, I just know that under Limp Dick, it's an inevitability.

I'm looking forward to 2010. Because I know deep down Dick Jauron will provide another mediocre season of poor decisions, poor clock management, poor challenges and just all-around underpreparedness to get this team to a 5-11 record next year. Then he will be fired and we'll have anybody else on the sidelines. Optimism reniewed.

I don't ever wish for the Bills to lose, I just know that under Limp Dick, it's an inevitability.

I don't think anyone rational fan wants the Bills to lose, but it's going to take a lot of losing to change the owner's mind on anything. I could see this team going 8-8 and DJ sticking around for 2010.

RW doesn't like paying coaches or front office types and bristles at the notion of doing so. If the team goes 4-12/5-11 in 09, that would force a change at HC and in the front office. It will have demonstrated that the current front office cannot win.

The funniest thing about all this is how much praise DJ and staff was getting when we were 5-1 (especially in 4-0 start) about their mid game adjustments and how much better we looked in second half...he was even in running for coach of the year...then what happened?

Well, we lost key starters, including our entire threat of a pass rush in Schobel, 2 corners playing great ball in Greer and Youboty, LB's, OL, Reed, and then Trent severly regressed coming back from injury and also missed more time with new injuries...

So, the overly dramatic cries about DJ get tiresome to be honest. Do I think he is a great coach...NO, but he is not nearly as bad as the fans want to make him out to be. Its about time people start owning up to the fact that there isnt enough talent here at this point. That starts and stops with the lack of a true football GM and not maximizing our drafts...

Go back and look at my posts...When we were 4-0 I said we would have a hard time making the playoffs, especially if we start getting some injuries and if our O Line doesnt play better...well what happened...injuries crushed us on both sides of the ball, we had terrible QB play which had a lot to do with inconsistency at O Line, injuries and Trents clear regression and loss of confidence.

We still won 7 games, and should have won 9 if Lindell doesnt blow the kick and JP doesnt fumble. Heck, if JP doesnt play against SF, we probably win that game too and could have easily been 10-6.

This team needs more talent. And honestly, I dont care if we sign Julius Peppers and bring back Bill Walsh from the dead, we wont win much more until we have MUCH Better QB play from either Trent getting better or someone else replacing him...Our D is no where dominant enough to be able make up for the poor QB play we have been plagued by...

We still won 7 games, and should have won 9 if Lindell doesnt blow the kick and JP doesnt fumble. Heck, if JP doesnt play against SF, we probably win that game too and could have easily been 10-6.

I'm not even going to point out the sheer hypocracy of your post in questioning WHO was it that decided to kick a 47-yarder into the wind and WHO decided to call a roll-out pass that resulted in a fumble.

Defend Jauron all you want. The stats don't lie and they tell you that he is a career loser. This team had enough talent and a weak schedule to get a playoff spot last year and Dumb Dick screwed it up epically. If you sleep better at night trumpeting the same garbage that Ralph Wilson does about the "lack of talent" then good on you.

The rest of us will just look forward to 2010 - the non-Dick Years.

The funniest thing about all this is how much praise DJ and staff was getting when we were 5-1 (especially in 4-0 start) about their mid game adjustments and how much better we looked in second half...he was even in running for coach of the year...then what happened?

Well, we lost key starters, including our entire threat of a pass rush in Schobel, 2 corners playing great ball in Greer and Youboty, LB's, OL, Reed, and then Trent severly regressed coming back from injury and also missed more time with new injuries...

So, the overly dramatic cries about DJ get tiresome to be honest. Do I think he is a great coach...NO, but he is not nearly as bad as the fans want to make him out to be. Its about time people start owning up to the fact that there isnt enough talent here at this point. That starts and stops with the lack of a true football GM and not maximizing our drafts...

Go back and look at my posts...When we were 4-0 I said we would have a hard time making the playoffs, especially if we start getting some injuries and if our O Line doesnt play better...well what happened...injuries crushed us on both sides of the ball, we had terrible QB play which had a lot to do with inconsistency at O Line, injuries and Trents clear regression and loss of confidence.

This team needs more talent. And honestly, I dont care if we sign Julius Peppers and bring back Bill Walsh from the dead, we wont win much more until we have MUCH Better QB play from either Trent getting better or someone else replacing him...Our D is no where dominant enough to be able make up for the poor QB play we have been plagued by...

I totally agree. I do not think Jauron is a great coach by any stretch, but our QB play has been mediocre to poor for years. Are the Cardinals and Steelers in the Super Bowl because of their great coaching? NOT AT ALL!!! They have gotten at least very good quarterbacking from Warner and Big Ben, if not great quarterbacking a lot of the time. Both guys are leaders, play with confidence and win games. They also have a lot of very good receivers around them to throw to. Hopefully, the talent level on our team at all positions other than RB will improve substantially. That is the only way we will compete in our division and in our conference for that matter.

Edwards needs to step up bigtime. He needs to start acting like a leader, stop missing so many games with injuries, and start throwing darts all over the field like an NFL Quarterback should do. A little bit of swagger out of Mr. Stanford would not hurt either. Jay Cutler is no better throwing the ball than TE, but he has that swagger that says I am "The Man". Trent needs that in a hurry.

I don't think anyone rational fan wants the Bills to lose, but it's going to take a lot of losing to change the owner's mind on anything. I could see this team going 8-8 and DJ sticking around for 2010.

RW doesn't like paying coaches or front office types and bristles at the notion of doing so. If the team goes 4-12/5-11 in 09, that would force a change at HC and in the front office. It will have demonstrated that the current front office cannot win.

Odd BV, but Ralph might actually be an innovater here wrt this matter. ;):blink::thumbsup:

Think about it.....guys like Marty, Cowher, Gruden and Shanahan don't have coaching jobs right now. These guys have proven that they will win every bit as much (well, almost) as Jauron has proven that he will lose.

Otoh, look at the jests and cowboys. Wade has a job, and so does Rex Ryan. You see?

I think that the above is due to the economy. Teams such as the cowboys, skins, jests, giants, etc. have imo alienated working class fans. They catered to the rich corporate types a bit too much, and now these franchises might actually decrease in profit, and for the first time.....value.

Not paying a proven coach saves an owner as much as 3 or 4 million per year before the season starts. Some owners might be nervous with this economy, and who knows how bad it really is, or how much it will effect the NFL?

There are some great things about being a Bills Fan. One is that I can hop on a plane, spend 2 nights in a nice motel, rent a full sized caddy at the airport, get a great seat for a Bills game, eat, and even drink for a fraction of the cost of a PSL, let alone tickets. etc. Last year we bought from a seller on TBD. We sat on the 40, 20 or 30 rows back for 100 bucks. Do you know how cheap that is? Seroiusly.

Buffalo was already hurting economically. The Bills needed/need people like us, not corporate giants to survive. What pisses me off is the stupidity. Things like hiring Levy, hiring Jauron, drafting Whitner.....these are things that no other team was stupid enough to do. You know what I'm trying to say, no?

If Ralph would step back and spend a few bucks more on real football people, this team would win AND he make more cash.

It's freaking bizarre when you think about it.