Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

UConn James - I love reading your analysis each week. Do you blog about the show at all?

Ben episodes are usually good and this "Dead is Dead" was no exception. I really liked how the episodes have picked up with intensity since "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham".

I just don't see Ben giving up so easy on his control. He has proven since the 2nd season to be a master manipulator. And really before that considering he helped The Others wipe out the DI.

Why does Widmore want to get back to the island so much? Obviously Ben got back so is it safe to say the island wants Ben back but not Charles?

And the question still remains, what is the Oceanic 6's purpose for going back?

No, I don't do blogging dedicated to LOST (started a blog recently, but to start discussing this show on there at this point isn't feasible, and besides, I'm pretty much blogging to/for myself, as I doubt anyone reads it). My thoughts on LOST pretty much stay in this forum. Some of the more intensive sites dedicated to the show are way too in-depth for me, with the fact that I do require sleep.

I'm not so sure I believe Ben's "Dead is dead" line. He's seen things. What about his mother? What about the Others/Alpert asking for Paul's body in return for preserving the truce? That was not for nothing; they do something with it. I don't know what the judgment will do to Ben. He's got a strict order from an entity that he respects; following Locke now is Ben's punishment. The frail way Ben said, "It let me live" suggests that he expected and/or almost wanted to die as well as the final coup that he's not The Guy anymore.

Yeah, the O6 have pretty much been sitting around waiting for something to happen. Other than Kate bringing Ben to the Others. Maybe that was the extent of why they were brought back to '77, maybe not. Faraday's foray into the Orchid suggests that they will be leaving '77. Why they had to come back, and where (or when) they go and what they have to do are the big over-arching questions that these last two seasons are covering.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I think it would be safe to say that per EH's "the island isn't done with you yet" means they will be back. I don't think it was meant as 'Ben's going to follow you out of here'. Something much bigger in the works for Des. His abilities are going to be key.

Yet the question I have since Ben apparently didn't kill Penny and Charlie (Desmond's son) what is he sorry for. As let's not forget he told Sun to tell Des that he's sorry. What for? Not killing him and his family or something else?

Yet the question I have since Ben apparently didn't kill Penny and Charlie (Desmond's son) what is he sorry for. As let's not forget he told Sun to tell Des that he's sorry. What for? Not killing him and his family or something else?

Maybe for trying to Kill Desmond and his wife? I believe that's a pretty good reason for apologizing, so I am not going to read too much into that comment. To Desmond it looked as though Ben was going to shoot Penny. I don't think he realized Ben hesitated when he saw her son. And just because he hesitated, it doesn't mean he wasn't going to shoot her. But to play along with your theory, Ben did have a shoulder injury. Even though Desmond beats him senseless, I don't think that's where his shoulder injury came about. There still may be more to the story...

Maybe for trying to Kill Desmond and his wife? I believe that's a pretty good reason for apologizing, so I am not going to read too much into that comment. To Desmond it looked as though Ben was going to shoot Penny. I don't think he realized Ben hesitated when he saw her son. And just because he hesitated, it doesn't mean he wasn't going to shoot her. But to play along with your theory, Ben did have a shoulder injury. Even though Desmond beats him senseless, I don't think that's where his shoulder injury came about. There still may be more to the story...

You might be right, but I'm thinking that is where his arm injury came from. Right around this time Ben calls Jack, visibly shaken and with the docks behind him, telling him he's running late and will meet him at the airport.

I agree with you that Ben's apology to Desmond is for what he tried to do to Penny and nothing more than that.

I agree with you that Ben's apology to Desmond is for what he tried to do to Penny and nothing more than that.

I concur.

I forget when exactly he told Sun this. But that would indicate that Ben knows that Des is coming to the island, no?

By the way, Ben might have the record for most-beat-up-character in the history of television. I always take a drink when somebody punches Ben.

A drink of what?

I love the show but I will be amazed if they manage to tie every plot thread together at the end. There are people/questions still lingering from ther seasons that have been long ignored. And they still add new threads now! They are building an incredible stack of blocks but will it all add up to something meaningful at the end?

PTR

Question from last night... after Ben's daughter roughed him up, she mentioned that he was already planning to kill someone. Thought at first she was talking about Locke, but replayed and it was a different name I didn't recognize.

Hum?

Question from last night... after Ben's daughter roughed him up, she mentioned that he was already planning to kill someone. Thought at first she was talking about Locke, but replayed and it was a different name I didn't recognize.

Hum?

Him = Locke

The one question that noone asks(which is kinda funny) and i want answered already is.......

WHY IS IT ALPERT DOESNT AGE

This is one of the more intriguing questions that's still on the books, in my reckoning.

One theory upthread made mention of his initials... Ra.

Another might be that he is a reincarnate like Christian Shepard or Locke. But, well, we don't really know whether they "age" either.... And for as long as he's purportedly been there, Jacob --- in the brief flash --- didn't appear terribly old.

so what are everyone's guesses to the big question:

"what lies in the shadow of the statue?"

is this a "password" that widmore's people on the plane were to use to identify each other? they just FOUND a case of guns? or they had it on the plane already?

and besides that... what DOES lie in the shadow of the statue? jughead? the temple?

is this a "password" that widmore's people on the plane were to use to identify each other? they just FOUND a case of guns? or they had it on the plane already?

and besides that... what DOES lie in the shadow of the statue? jughead? the temple?

The donkey wheel

This is one of the more intriguing questions that's still on the books, in my reckoning.

One theory upthread made mention of his initials... Ra.

Another might be that he is a reincarnate like Christian Shepard or Locke. But, well, we don't really know whether they "age" either.... And for as long as he's purportedly been there, Jacob --- in the brief flash --- didn't appear terribly old.

I too wonder why Richard does not age. However what I am most curious about Richard is this. With all of the knowledge he has and how long he has been on the island, why is he not the leader of the "others"?

It's kind of a trick question. The answer is BEN. Ben lies. He lies everywhere he goes. So it follows that he would lie in the shadow of the statue too. Just a little joke Widmore's people like to do.

:thumbsup:

I too wonder why Richard does not age. However what I am most curious about Richard is this. With all of the knowledge he has and how long he has been on the island, why is he not the leader of the "others"?

I think Richard is not the leader because Jacob chooses the leaders. Why he has never chosed Richard is another question but I think they take someone from the outside. John and Ben were both from the outside and I assume Whidmore was too since he was the only person with an accent.

Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem to be something that he's concerned with. Much as Ben has been shown to struggle for, grasp onto, and now seems bereft (as punishment) of control, Richard is focused on what the Others are on the island to do.

It's easy to question, 'If Richard is so task-oriented...' but don't mistake his goals. Being a leader and being a person who is driven to get results are often not the same thing.

In my experience with office-life, these traits are rarely, if ever, combined in one person/entity. Indeed, many people view them as mutually exclusive. :devil:

-----

Just something I've been thinking about Ben.... His ability to snatch guns away is uncanny. Took the revolver from Locke and shot him with it. Took one from (Who was it? Karl?) and shot (at) Naomi. Took the shotgun from Caesar and shot him with it. Any others?

Now, this all goes into Ben's natural malevolence / being a sneaky-bastard.... but is there anything more into how he can do this? And generally how he can manage to do so many things? Like Eloise Hawking says, and Faraday's experimentations proved, the island is always moving in time.... e.g. 30 minutes behind the payload rocket, doctor's body washed up before it happened on the ship.... Is there some way Ben knows how to move through / utilize these (micro) time-changes?

The one question that no one asks(which is kinda funny) and i want answered already is.......

WHY IS IT ALPERT DOESNT AGE

Actually, everyone asks that question. It has been discussed many times, but it has yet to be answered. Even when they showed him off the island he doesn't age, I can't even venture a guess at this one.