Amani Toomer

BeastMode54

THe New York Post is reporting that Toomer will most certainly have to play for another team next year. While he is 34, he is also 6'3" and is an excellent possession receiever still at his age, with great hands. If we were to bring him in, and groom Johnson and Hardy under him, I think it would be a very solid signing. With his age as well, he would be a cheaper and more viable option for us as well.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142009/sport...zzle_150106.htm

Toomer for a year?

By Chris Brown - Posted January 14th, 2009

Just a thought here knowing full well that the Bills under Dick Jauron typically do not go after free agents on the back side of their careers. But in light of what James Hardy will be facing with his rehab from a torn ACL and all the time he will miss, Amani Toomer might not be a terrible stop gap option for 2009.

I know he’ll be 35 when next season starts, but he’s a reliable veteran wideout that’s 6′3″ and can still make plays in the red zone. He would mesh well with the character players in the locker room and would be a player that opposing defenses would have to respect inside the 20-yard line.

And he should be affordable. Sure there are better receivers out there in the free agent market, but after the team forked over big money to retain Lee Evans, players like T.J. Houshmanzadeh are unrealistic as I see it. The Bills can’t afford two Lee Evans at receiver and Housh will cost as much if not more than Evans on the open market if he gets there.

The Bills have been relatively successful in the past with veteran pickups at WR like Bill Brooks and Quinn Early. I’d just like to see a vet that’s been there and done that.

I know Toomer isn’t a major game breaker anymore, but I think he’s dependable and capable of making enough plays to make this offense better. Again just for 2009.

Tags: Amani Toomer

Chris Brown agrees

I think so. We need a stop gap veteran we can rely on in the mix while Hardy and Steve Johnson grow. We were at a huge disadvantage when Reed was out because there was no reliable receiver to go to, and taking away Evans is always the focus of the defense.

Toomer for a year?

The Bills can’t afford two Lee Evans at receiver and Housh will cost as much if not more than Evans on the open market if he gets there.

Chris Brown agrees

I am sorry, but that statement should be deleted from his blog. Of course the Bills CAN afford two Lee Evans at receiver.

Question whether or not they should if you want, but not whether they can.

(you could also question whether two Lee Evans would perform better than one Lee Evans)

The Bills have been relatively successful in the past with veteran pickups at WR like Bill Brooks and Quinn Early. I’d just like to see a vet that’s been there and done that.

If he can do for us what Quinn Early did, then yeah, bring him in on the next bus. Quinn was awesome.

THe New York Post is reporting that Toomer will most certainly have to play for another team next year. While he is 34, he is also 6'3" and is an excellent possession receiever still at his age, with great hands. If we were to bring him in, and groom Johnson and Hardy under him, I think it would be a very solid signing. With his age as well, he would be a cheaper and more viable option for us as well.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142009/sport...zzle_150106.htm

Toomer is certainly a viable option but I'd rather take a run at Michael Clayton, Bryant Johnson or Reggie Williams.

If he can do for us what Quinn Early did, then yeah, bring him in on the next bus. Quinn was awesome.

even though quinn early and bill brooks were older WRs when we picked them up, they were awesome. I loved those guys.

There is never a good reason to sign an over-the-hill possession receiver to a veteran contract. Never.

Joe Juruvicius was one of the biggest differences between the Browns of 2007 and 2008. Of course, they have a line, we don't.