Former NFL GM's Mike Lombardi's take on the Bills

I simply cannot believe there is ANY thought to bringing Dead Dick back under ANY circumstances...I just can't fathom it...And when The Bills are 7-9 after Week 17 next Season...what then? Will Jauron be gone after his 8th losing Season in 9 as a Head Coach...Or will Wilson find another Assistant who is to blame?...Is Ralph REALLY going to risk another losing Season under a Head Coach who is loved by His Players but basically despised by Bills Fans?...

Jauron needs to go or this Franchise is headed into an abyss only Cities like Cincy and Oakland understand...This is going to get REAL bad if they have another losing Season under Jauron...REAL bad and REAL ugly... :angry:

There may be an anti-silver lining in it though. First, you save money by not purchasing Sunday Ticket. Second, the Bills schedule is vastly more difficult next year. That coupled with some of the player regression evidenced this year and minor tweaking of the front office and coaching staff could harbinger another Detroit Lions like fall from 7-9 to 2,3,4 wins total. ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the same guy who ran those great backdoor screens to Timmy Tindale vs. the Jets, which caused Parcells to lavish praise on Henning for his creativity afterward ...

Yet, the genius of the screen to Corey McIntyre is not rewarded ....

... the Gods are ruthless.

I don't like this. Keeping Jauron and make Schonert the fall guy would be infuriating to fans. While I don't like having to start over and it certainly is not fair to the guys, especially Edwards, to have to learn a new system, this coaching staff needs to be blown up. The FO too, but since that won't happen, the only coach need be retained is April.

Without a one-guy, decision-making GM, the one guy to have a vision and a sense of direction, this team will probably be lost for years.

Sure he wasn't told to call a "safe" play (like the end of the Cleveland game)? I'm still convinced he had someone whispering in his ear before those decisions were made. And with the call coming in as late as it did, there must -- MUST -- have been some discussion beforehand.

Again, I'm not saying Schonert would be a lights-out OC with a different team after failing in Buffalo ... but if that ever does happen, well, it wouldn't be the first time, would it?

What we saw this season from Schonert went counter to his bluster before the season began. With that in mind I agree that DJ had certain control over TS' calls. Ultimately, the HC can overrule the OC anytime he wants.

It wouldn't surprise me if DJ micromanaged his OC when things got tough later in the season. It almost seemed like when things were close, the string on TS became tighter and the plays were even more unimaginative. When they scored and got a lead, TS could do his thing, as evidenced in KC.

Charley Casserly....here was a GM crucified for taking Williams over hometown hero Vince Young and Reggie Bush...in the end he had the last laugh and his work as GM via drafting and hiring a good young coach in Kubiak has got the Texans slowly turning the corner from expansion joke to contender. I mean, they were better than the Bills.

Maybe Ralphie should give him a ring-a-ding and see if he'd work on the cheap. I'd like to see him here.

How is the Texans situation any better then the bills? They were not a contender, they were pretty much eliminated from the playoffs before Columbus day. 2 Weeks ago they went out to the Balck Hole & got their asses handed to them by one of the worst teams in the entire league. The doom & gloom crap around here really has to stop. We are not a good team, but we are certainly not that far off from where the Texans are or 25 other teams in this league.

You want to get depressed read the post today. Jet fans are irate because starting in 2010 they are being forced to pay for PSL's for season tickets. 2 things that struck me about this. The stadium was largely financed by Tax payer money, why should the tax payers have to pony up money for PSLs also? This is bad timing for the Jets. Economy is down, their franchise is in crisis mode, Favre is probably retiring, & they just had December meltdown that would make the New York Mets organization proud.

How is the Texans situation any better then the bills? They were not a contender, they were pretty much eliminated from the playoffs before Columbus day. 2 Weeks ago they went out to the Balck Hole & got their asses handed to them by one of the worst teams in the entire league. The doom & gloom crap around here really has to stop. We are not a good team, but we are certainly not that far off from where the Texans are or 25 other teams in this league.

You want to get depressed read the post today. Jet fans are irate because starting in 2010 they are being forced to pay for PSL's for season tickets. 2 things that struck me about this. The stadium was largely financed by Tax payer money, why should the tax payers have to pony up money for PSLs also? This is bad timing for the Jets. Economy is down, their franchise is in crisis mode, Favre is probably retiring, & they just had December meltdown that would make the New York Mets organization proud.

Thank you. "Perspective" is an unknown word on this board.

I like Jim Fassel. His seven year tenure as Giants HC his teams were ranked 17th on offense(with Danny Kanell as QB for 2 yrs) and 15th defensively. With Kerry Collins at the helm his offense rankings were 13th, 9th, 6th. He was Elway's QB coach at Stanford and took his team to a Super Bowl. Ralph could probably get him for a good price. How about an incentive laden contract w/bonuses if team makes playoffs.

They are the anti-Bills. They played a schedule that wasn't all cream puffs and went 8-8. They started off badly and pulled it together and started winning games at the end of the season. Matt Schaub is developing as an NFL QB. Slaton was a pleasant surprise. Andre Johnson is a stud playmaker. Their OL is finally coming together. They have a pass rush with Super Mario. DeMeco Ryans is a true playmaker in the middle. Amobi Okoye is starting to develop very nicely. Now, if they improve their secondary and maybe add some more weapons on offense, they'll be a challenger.

The Bills played a schedule of cream puffs and went 7-9. They started off 5-1 and folded like a cheap lawn chair. Their QB situation is still a mystery or if you prefer a concussion with hope. Lynch got beat up again and Jackson was a surprise. James Hardy stunk. Lee Evans is invisible. The OL is still a train wreck. They have no pass rush and the front 7 is bad. They've tried to improve their secondary first and its always damaged goods by the end of the season and their approach is to create more holes and try to paper them over.

I am familiar with that particular vintage. Good stuff.

It's powerful (160 proof), but I've tasted better. I tried it for the first time when I was stationed in Berlin back in '90. I bought a small bottle, and poured a capful as a shot. That was all it took.

Not to mention, they spent upwards of $160million last off season (if I recall correctly) and are now in serious cap trouble next year. All that and what did they get for it? A lot of hype and hope. Yet, so many here want the Bills to do the same thing. Throw money at every name in the game, hype the team beyond belief. Then throw it all out and start all over again.

As bad as the Bills are, they're spending this week just like the Jets, Cowboys, Redskins, Pats*, Broncos, Saints, and so many other supposedly good teams are - wondering what went wrong. Yeah we suck, but so do a lot of teams.

Houston is a much more appealing city than Buffalo.

There is a better chance of spending and stability in ownership and location in Houston.

The stadium and facilities are better in Houston.

Comparing the teams, there is not much different. They are both stuck in the below average mire.

I would LOVE for Ralph to hire Lombarbi. He KNOWS football better than anyone currently employed by the Bills.

i'll take Modrak any day over him. somehow they have to convince Modrak to be the GM and put him in charge of all personnel matters and dump john guy.

i think if they let Modrak run the whole personnel aspect we will greatly improve.

They are the anti-Bills. They played a schedule that wasn't all cream puffs and went 8-8. They started off badly and pulled it together and started winning games at the end of the season. Matt Schaub is developing as an NFL QB. Slaton was a pleasant surprise. Andre Johnson is a stud playmaker. Their OL is finally coming together. They have a pass rush with Super Mario. DeMeco Ryans is a true playmaker in the middle. Amobi Okoye is starting to develop very nicely. Now, if they improve their secondary and maybe add some more weapons on offense, they'll be a challenger.

The Bills played a schedule of cream puffs and went 7-9. They started off 5-1 and folded like a cheap lawn chair. Their QB situation is still a mystery or if you prefer a concussion with hope. Lynch got beat up again and Jackson was a surprise. James Hardy stunk. Lee Evans is invisible. The OL is still a train wreck. They have no pass rush and the front 7 is bad. They've tried to improve their secondary first and its always damaged goods by the end of the season and their approach is to create more holes and try to paper them over.

What he said.

You may want to check that, the $1.3 bn cost of the new stadium was financed by NYG, NYJ & the NFL. NJ is throwing in some incentives in the whole Meadowlands/Xanadu construction/war zone, but the PSLs will pay for the private construction costs.