Former NFL GM's Mike Lombardi's take on the Bills

FROM MARK GAUGHEN OF THE BUFFALO NEWS… Buffalo Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. said Monday afternoon the team would make a decision on the future of head coach Dick Jauron on Wednesday. Wilson met in Detroit today with Russ Brandon, the Bills’ chief operating officer, Tom Modrak, the Bills’ vice president of college scouting, and Jeff Littmann, the Bills’ treasurer. “I have nothing definitive tonight to give you,” Wilson told The Buffalo News by phone from Detroit. “We had a meeting today. We’re going to have a meeting tomorrow and the next day, and then you’ll have your answer.”

Mike Lombardi's response on Nationalfootballpost.com:

When I read what Mark had written, it was clear that Ralph Wilson wants to shake up the staff and bring in new coaches on one side of the ball or the other. He wants to keep Jauron, but it’s clear to me that he doesn’t want to keep some coaches (losing five games in a row is tough for anyone to take). Offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, I am sure, is the main topic in these meetings. The Bills have too much talent to be 25th in the NFL on offense. More important, they have too much money invested in their offense to be this bad. The meetings are about learning what Jauron will do to shake up the staff. What is his plan to make changes and get the Bills’ offense on the right track? Normally, he is very reluctant to make any changes to the staff, but this time he has to be realistic and accept that Turk is not getting it done. However, Jauron can be stubborn and might be willing to walk the plank rather than fire some coaches.

This time of year, front offices and coaching staffs have to evaluate three areas of their teams: scheme, coaching and players. Those areas will also provide the answers that lead to improvement. When I watched the Bills, I liked their talent for the most part, but I did not like their scheme and wondered at times about their offensive coaches.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

FROM MARK GAUGHEN OF THE BUFFALO NEWS… Buffalo Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. said Monday afternoon the team would make a decision on the future of head coach Dick Jauron on Wednesday. Wilson met in Detroit today with Russ Brandon, the Bills’ chief operating officer, Tom Modrak, the Bills’ vice president of college scouting, and Jeff Littmann, the Bills’ treasurer. “I have nothing definitive tonight to give you,” Wilson told The Buffalo News by phone from Detroit. “We had a meeting today. We’re going to have a meeting tomorrow and the next day, and then you’ll have your answer.”

When I read what Mark had written, it was clear that Ralph Wilson wants to shake up the staff and bring in new coaches on one side of the ball or the other. He wants to keep Jauron, but it’s clear to me that he doesn’t want to keep some coaches (losing five games in a row is tough for anyone to take). Offensive coordinator Turk Schonert, I am sure, is the main topic in these meetings. The Bills have too much talent to be 25th in the NFL on offense. More important, they have too much money invested in their offense to be this bad. The meetings are about learning what Jauron will do to shake up the staff. What is his plan to make changes and get the Bills’ offense on the right track? Normally, he is very reluctant to make any changes to the staff, but this time he has to be realistic and accept that Turk is not getting it done. However, Jauron can be stubborn and might be willing to walk the plank rather than fire some coaches.

This time of year, front offices and coaching staffs have to evaluate three areas of their teams: scheme, coaching and players. Those areas will also provide the answers that lead to improvement. When I watched the Bills, I liked their talent for the most part, but I did not like their scheme and wondered at times about their offensive coaches.

Thanks - interesting.

To be honest, I don't put a lot of stock in Mike Lombardi, but he makes a good point. The ONLY way Ralph

can sell keeping DJ, is by canning some of his coaches. The OC seems to be the obvious choice

over DC, especially with DJ admitting to calling some offensive plays a few games ago (unless he was trying

to insulate Schonert from the Losman rollout).

Kinda wonder if this will turn into a Wade Philips type of thing...

I really hope he is wrong and they can the entire staff, and start fresh......again........

To be honest, I don't put a lot of stock in Mike Lombardi, but he makes a good point. The ONLY way Ralph

can sell keeping DJ, is by canning some of his coaches. The OC seems to be the obvious choice

over DC, especially with DJ admitting to calling some offensive plays a few games ago (unless he was trying

I really hope he is wrong and they can the entire staff, and start fresh......again........

I would LOVE for Ralph to hire Lombarbi. He KNOWS football better than anyone currently employed by the Bills.

IF RW will not hire Martyball then...

I'm hoping Bobby April gets a long hard look for head coach should Jauron say he refuses to fire anyone and forces Wilson to fire him. At the very least let April stay and the rest can go.

25th in the NFL on offense is a bad showing? Hell, not according to Dick. That's the 3rd best season in his 8 year head coaching career and only slightly behind his 2nd best showing of 23rd.

This offense will not get better with a new OC. The problem starts at the top with the ultra-conservative head coach.

When I read what Mark had written, it was clear that Ralph Wilson wants to shake up the staff and bring in new coaches on one side of the ball or the other. He wants to keep Jauron, but it’s clear to me that he doesn’t want to keep some coaches (losing five games in a row is tough for anyone to take).

Just unbelievable to me. Is Ralph Wilson, at 90 years old, this insecure?? Instead of just firing Jauron and all of his coaches, he needs to put DJ in the position of having to quit on principle, like he did to Wade Philips?? Or even worse, is he really that cheap, to try to keep his freakin' money he just allegedly paid DJ by using that Wade Phillips trick of making him quit again? Didn't that back fire in him then, and wouldn't it back fire on him again now? I thought Phillips got his money anyway??

Because as far as Wilson "wanting to keep Jauron", those are the only two reasons for it. Even Ralph Wilson knows that he can't keep the fans coming to see 7-9-0 boring underachieving teams any longer. So it really is all about him being cheap and insecure.......again! Amazing. :censored::blink:

Does Lombardi realize that despite the late-season shutdown, the Bills offense actually IMPROVED under Schonert?

2007      2008
Points scored     252        336
First downs      248        287
Third-down %     33.33%   39.90%
Tot. net yds.    4434       4882
Rush yds.        1800       1842
Net pass yds.   2634       3040
Comp. %          59.10%    64.51%
Penalty yds.      633         538
Sacks allowed     26           38
Fumbles-lost    20-7       33-15

Even those exceptions are merely a return to the typical performance from seasons prior to 2007, rather than the abnormally low numbers from last year.

Now, mind you, I'm not saying this year was good, or even acceptable. Not by a long shot. But when changing the coordinator and drafting a couple of WRs were the only differences from last year's dreadful showing, well, how much improvement could we have reasonably expected?

I would LOVE for Ralph to hire Lombarbi. He KNOWS football better than anyone currently employed by the Bills.

Michael Lombardi ? Wasn't he the GM of the Raiders that let Belicheat steal Randy Moss away for a 4th round draft pick? If so, that's what got him fired from the Raiders. Al Davis is still burning over that one.

25th in the NFL on offense is a bad showing? Hell, not according to Dick. That's the 3rd best season in his 8 year head coaching career and only slightly behind his 2nd best showing of 23rd.

This offense will not get better with a new OC. The problem starts at the top with the ultra-conservative head coach.

Lost in all of this is the lack of good QB coaching - AVP has not done a good enough job of bringing Trent Edwards along.

He was fired from Houston for Taking Williams over Busch. In retrospect he was RIGHT

Sure you're not referring to Casserly?

As for the others' assertion that Pats fleeced Raiders for Moss, memories are indeed short, as in 2006 Moss was a malcontent hasbeen who couldn't be motivated to play the game and was only worth a 4th rounder to the Packers, which Patriots matched.

Does Lombardi realize that despite the late-season shutdown, the Bills offense actually IMPROVED under Schonert?

Even those exceptions are merely a return to the typical performance from seasons prior to 2007, rather than the abnormally low numbers from last year.

Now, mind you, I'm not saying this year was good, or even acceptable. Not by a long shot. But when changing the coordinator and drafting a couple of WRs were the only differences from last year's dreadful showing, well, how much improvement could we have reasonably expected?

It did, but the improvement was from miserable to merely bad. That's like saying that Robert Royal is an improvement over Lonnie Johnson. Technically, its true, but its still pretty awful.

They still haven't finished better than 25th in total offense for the last six seasons in a row, and they've been 30th, 30th and 25th in the last three under Jauron.

It did, but the improvement was from miserable to merely bad. That's like saying that Robert Royal is an improvement over Lonnie Johnson. Technically, its true, but its still pretty awful.

They still haven't finished better than 25th in total offense for the last six seasons in a row, and they've been 30th, 30th and 25th in the last three under Jauron.

Nice Royal-Friggin' Lonnie analogy.

And I agree. I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think I see a trend developing ...

(Yeah, that was sarcasm.) That's why I'm not heaping all the blame on Schonert; it was bad before he got here, and if Jauron stays and he leaves, it will probably be bad regardless of who calls the plays next year.