Former NFL GM's Mike Lombardi's take on the Bills

I don't read Lombardi's stuff but I like him on Bill Simmons' podcast (among other interesting points I hadn't heard from anyone else are that the Steelers' slop field actually hurts them, and CB's who play in a dome are usually overrated).

One time they weren't even talking about the Bills but about Hester/Chicago, and he went out of his way to mention that Roscoe Parrish was one of the most underutilized (or mis-used) players in the league.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Lombardi realize that despite the late-season shutdown, the Bills offense actually IMPROVED under Schonert?

2007	 2008
Points scored		   252	   336
First downs		   248	   287
Third-down %			33.33%	 39.90%
Tot. net yds.			 4434	 4882
Rush yds.				 1800	 1842
Net pass yds.			 2634	 3040
Comp. %				59.10%	 64.51%
Penalty yds.		   633	   538

The two notable exceptions?
Sacks allowed			26				 38
Fumbles-lost			 20-7		 33-15

Even those exceptions are merely a return to the typical performance from seasons prior to 2007, rather than the abnormally low numbers from last year.

Now, mind you, I'm not saying this year was good, or even acceptable. Not by a long shot. But when changing the coordinator and drafting a couple of WRs were the only differences from last year's dreadful showing, well, how much improvement could we have reasonably expected?

The Bills actually outplayed the Patriots in their last game,the stats support this with a 3.6 yards per for the Pats and a 4.6 for the bills. It was the coaching and the calls that lost that game

3rd and 5 on the 12 yd line with 22 seconds to go in the first half and no time outs, Turk Schonert calls a running play to end the half. The Pats were only up by 3 at that time.The guy has 10 years exp as a back up QB and 10 yrs as an assistant coach. 20 years of exp and he doesn't know to call a pass at that point? This one was almost as bad as the rollout pass against the Jets.

I think that was Charley Casserly.

Charley Casserly....here was a GM crucified for taking Williams over hometown hero Vince Young and Reggie Bush...in the end he had the last laugh and his work as GM via drafting and hiring a good young coach in Kubiak has got the Texans slowly turning the corner from expansion joke to contender. I mean, they were better than the Bills.

Maybe Ralphie should give him a ring-a-ding and see if he'd work on the cheap. I'd like to see him here.

The Bills actually outplayed the Patriots in their last game,the stats support this with a 3.6 yards per for the Pats and a 4.6 for the bills. It was the coaching and the calls that lost that game

3rd and 5 on the 12 yd line with 22 seconds to go in the first half and no time outs, Turk Schonert calls a running play to end the half. The Pats were only up by 3 at that time.The guy has 10 years exp as a back up QB and 10 yrs as an assistant coach. 20 years of exp and he doesn't know to call a pass at that point? This one was almost as bad as the rollout pass against the Jets.

Sure he wasn't told to call a "safe" play (like the end of the Cleveland game)? I'm still convinced he had someone whispering in his ear before those decisions were made. And with the call coming in as late as it did, there must -- MUST -- have been some discussion beforehand.

A few weeks ago, I posted a column from Chuck Pollock which asserted that Mike Mularkey had changed (and not for the better) after two years of working for Tom Donahoe. I suspect something similar here, because Schonert, the guy who talked about being "more aggressive," ended up being anything but that. The way I see it, such a drastic change in philosophy doesn't happen without outside influence.

Again, I'm not saying Schonert would be a lights-out OC with a different team after failing in Buffalo ... but if that ever does happen, well, it wouldn't be the first time, would it?

Sure he wasn't told to call a "safe" play (like the end of the Cleveland game)? I'm still convinced he had someone whispering in his ear before those decisions were made. And with the call coming in as late as it did, there must -- MUST -- have been some discussion beforehand.

A few weeks ago, I posted a column from Chuck Pollock which asserted that Mike Mularkey had changed (and not for the better) after two years of working for Tom Donahoe. I suspect something similar here, because Schonert, the guy who talked about being "more aggressive," ended up being anything but that. The way I see it, such a drastic change in philosophy doesn't happen without outside influence.

Again, I'm not saying Schonert would be a lights-out OC with a different team after failing in Buffalo ... but if that ever does happen, well, it wouldn't be the first time, would it?

A very interesting point Lori....it's interesting that both Mularkey and Killdrive..er..Gilbride have gone on to success with other franchises when they looked so inept on our sidelines....

Maybe it starts from the very top indeed...?

Ralph's tactic of putting the HQ into an 'I quit' scenario if he doesn't tow the line and fire a couple assistants is bush league management. This makes me wonder if we're ever going to get quality independent thinkers, with integrity and vision, to work the front office and the coaching staff while current ownership remains in place. If Mr. Wilson made a mistake signing Juron to an extension then he needs to 'man-up' and eat the cost of his mistake. Get a professional football GM in here for God's sake (and the fan base). Just because Donahoe didn't work out the way it was intended doesn't mean that approach is wrong. Look at a few other teams where the owner meddles, Dallas, Oakland, and Detroit (until the junior Ford chimed in). These franchises are dysfunctional. So are the Bills under Wilson, that's the only way to describe it.

Ralph should know better. When he pulled this stunt with Wade he refused to pay the man. In the end, the courts and the league ruled in Phillip's favor and awarded him the remaining monies on his contract. If you don't want to keep Juron show some professional courtesy and deal with Dick openly and honestly man to man. He might not be the world's greatest coach (not even close) but treat the guy with some dignity and respect.

Michael Lombardi ? Wasn't he the GM of the Raiders that let Belicheat steal Randy Moss away for a 4th round draft pick? If so, that's what got him fired from the Raiders. Al Davis is still burning over that one.

Moss was a cancer on the Raiders-he barely played an argued with coaches. A 4th was the best anyone would give for him.

Ralph's tactic of putting the HQ into an 'I quit' scenario if he doesn't tow the line and fire a couple assistants is bush league management. This makes me wonder if we're ever going to get quality independent thinkers, with integrity and vision, to work the front office and the coaching staff while current ownership remains in place. If Mr. Wilson made a mistake signing Juron to an extension then he needs to 'man-up' and eat the cost of his mistake. Get a professional football GM in here for God's sake (and the fan base). Just because Donahoe didn't work out the way it was intended doesn't mean that approach is wrong. Look at a few other teams where the owner meddles, Dallas, Oakland, and Detroit (until the junior Ford chimed in). These franchises are dysfunctional. So are the Bills under Wilson, that's the only way to describe it.

Ralph should know better. When he pulled this stunt with Wade he refused to pay the man. In the end, the courts and the league ruled in Phillip's favor and awarded him the remaining monies on his contract. If you don't want to keep Juron show some professional courtesy and deal with Dick openly and honestly man to man. He might not be the world's greatest coach (not even close) but treat the guy with some dignity and respect.

Getting outfoxed by Wade Phillips? Ouch.

Maybe?

Definitely.

A very interesting point Lori....it's interesting that both Mularkey and Killdrive..er..Gilbride have gone on to success with other franchises when they looked so inept on our sidelines....

Maybe it starts from the very top indeed...?

I am not at all sure that Ralph Wilson is ultra conservative. In fact, I would bet anything that he's not. The top in the Shonert case would be the ultra (if not criminally) conservative Jauron. The top in the Mularkey and Killdrive scenarios would be the top man at the time calling all the shots, TD. If anything, the problem with Bills fans about Mularkey was that he wasn't conservative enough, but often called outrageous and gimmicky plays at the wrong time.

They all do have one thing in common, a lack of very good players and very good head coaches above them, which, um, starts at the top.

$10 says Martz, Mangini, or some other well known coach is our O Coordinator next year with Jauron being HC still. Ralph/Brandon are going to want a guy who can sell tickets.

Wasn't the Mangenius a Defense guy?

It would be better than nothing to get a top Offensive mind in here. (Although I have visions of Gilbride and Mularky) . . .