Franchise Greer

BillsVet

The transition tag is a joke...I think most NFL clubs don't even consider it an option anymore after the Hutchison/Burleson debacle of a couple years back.

Dolphins used it with Welker and got two picks I believe out of it. Spikes was acquired (granted pre-hutchinson) by us with the transition tag.

It's a good way to see who is truly interested and the NFL has been frowning on the 'poison pill' contract-wise...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GB had no intention of re-signing Corey Williams last off-season. But they knew he'd command some attention on the UFA market. They ended up getting a 2nd from CLE for him.

I'm not saying Greer is to the CB position that Williams was as a DL. But there are so many clubs in need of a proven NFL CB. That will inflate his value, and it's an opportunity for the Bills to get something for him.

I think it makes more sense to sign Greer long term now and let McGee go next year. McGee will be pushing 30 and will probably command more money on the free agent market than what we would have to pay Greer. Talent wise I think both are similar with McGee having the slight edge. We would have 2 backups with Mckelvin and Youbouty, both capable of taking over in case of an injury which is normally the case with this team.

GB had no intention of re-signing Corey Williams last off-season. But they knew he'd command some attention on the UFA market. They ended up getting a 2nd from CLE for him.

I'm not saying Greer is to the CB position that Williams was as a DL. But there are so many clubs in need of a proven NFL CB. That will inflate his value, and it's an opportunity for the Bills to get something for him.

You only franchise Jabari Greer if you are intent on having him be a Bill next year at a 10 million dollar salary. Because as soon as he signs that tag you're stuck with him at that salary. You cannot simply franchise tag a decent player with the intention of trading him.

Dolphins used it with Welker and got two picks I believe out of it. Spikes was acquired (granted pre-hutchinson) by us with the transition tag.

It's a good way to see who is truly interested and the NFL has been frowning on the 'poison pill' contract-wise...

False. Welker was a restricted free agent. If he was transitioned, he would have received top 10 money. Didn't happen. The Pats* gave him a restricted free agent tender, and after last year, the Pats* gave him 5 yrs 18 mil. he was not transitioned...would have costed too much money for an unproven player at the time.

We all know whats going to happen once again. Its like Clements and Winfield all over again.

We let Winfield go because we said we were more concerned with signing Clements long term. Turns out that money was nothing compared to the money CBs were demanded a few years later. Then we let Clements go when we realized how much he was gonna cost.

I see the same thing happening with Greer and McGee. The FO will say theyre letting Greer go so they can sign McGee next year. Then next year, they'll let McGee go so we can draft another DB in the 1st round.

let's use all of our Free Agent money for a CB who is a bit above average....dumb....Pay what you need to HAYNESWORTH..end of story..

I don't particularly care for the "never gonna' happen" posts every time someone suggests the Bills make a bold move.........but the chances of getting Haynesworth are less than miniscule. Keep in mind, the offseason after this one will be an uncapped year, so don't be shocked if some teams plan around that and LITERALLY price the Bills out for any top free agent by structuring contracts to put unreal dollars into the uncapped year.

That in mind, Greer represents a bird in the hand from now until free agency opens and if CB was a big enough concern to use a #1 pick on last offseason, then not letting one of your best go in free agency should be a priority to prevent the re-opening of that wound.

With Jabari Greer due to hit free agency this off-season, Buffalo will face a question about whom to retain at CB. Both Youboty and Greer are up after 09, meaning they'll have some decisions to make at the position.

The reality is Buffalo cannot keep Greer and McGee, with McKelvin in the mix. Either JG or TM will go, and I suspect it will be Greer because his contract is up now.

That said, franchise him and get a pick instead of letting him walk out the door. While he's not the name that Clements was after 06, JG will get significant attention on the UFA market. If the Bills have learned anything, they'll franchise Greer with the sole intent of trading him. I highly doubt they'll get stuck with a franchise tender as too many teams like CLE, STL, DET, and others need a NFL ready CB. Picking up a 3rd gives this team options in the draft and sets them up to move around if necessary.

Then again, it's the Buffalo front office, where amateur scouting VPs aren't in the "inner circle."

Franchise CB get over $9M. Do you really think Greer is worth that much?

Good point, but I think they should re-sign Greer long term. They have a ton of cap room, and there won't be much to spend it on in free agency. It's a safe bet that Greer will be a better find for some other team than ANYBODY John Guy can guide to Buffalo.

This team needs to stop using the draft to replace good players they allow to walk out the door. I can't remember the last time Buffalo could go BPA in the draft, although the cap makes it hard. Still, it seems the Bills are constantly drafting for need with their top picks, and foregoing a better player(s) because they've forced themselves to take a need.

Keeping Greer would be a better use of their cap dollars, and I agree John Guy isn't going to unearth talent from another team. I'd much rather have a known commodity in Greer than an unknown Guy tries to sell the team.

Rebuilding this team will be going into year 4, and until they start re-signing their own and drafting better, we'll be on the treadmill to nowhere.

False. Welker was a restricted free agent. If he was transitioned, he would have received top 10 money. Didn't happen. The Pats* gave him a restricted free agent tender, and after last year, the Pats* gave him 5 yrs 18 mil. he was not transitioned...would have costed too much money for an unproven player at the time.

Thanks for the correction.

With Jabari Greer due to hit free agency this off-season, Buffalo will face a question about whom to retain at CB. Both Youboty and Greer are up after 09, meaning they'll have some decisions to make at the position.

The reality is Buffalo cannot keep Greer and McGee, with McKelvin in the mix. Either JG or TM will go, and I suspect it will be Greer because his contract is up now.

That said, franchise him and get a pick instead of letting him walk out the door. While he's not the name that Clements was after 06, JG will get significant attention on the UFA market. If the Bills have learned anything, they'll franchise Greer with the sole intent of trading him. I highly doubt they'll get stuck with a franchise tender as too many teams like CLE, STL, DET, and others need a NFL ready CB. Picking up a 3rd gives this team options in the draft and sets them up to move around if necessary.

Then again, it's the Buffalo front office, where amateur scouting VPs aren't in the "inner circle."

What if nobody wants him in trade? This would be a cap busting move. You want to pay him top CB money? He is good but not that good. Buffalo should try to sign him if they can. If not, move on.

We all know whats going to happen once again. Its like Clements and Winfield all over again.

We let Winfield go because we said we were more concerned with signing Clements long term. Turns out that money was nothing compared to the money CBs were demanded a few years later. Then we let Clements go when we realized how much he was gonna cost.

I see the same thing happening with Greer and McGee. The FO will say theyre letting Greer go so they can sign McGee next year. Then next year, they'll let McGee go so we can draft another DB in the 1st round.

WELL SAID!!!!!! :blush:

Would he be allowed to sign the offer sheet and just stay? If so, too big a risk imo.

Keep in mind, the offseason after this one will be an uncapped year, so don't be shocked if some teams plan around that and LITERALLY price the Bills out for any top free agent by structuring contracts to put unreal dollars into the uncapped year

IF that's the case we may as well sell the team, REM: WERE LIKE 25 MIL UNDER THE CAP.

Franchise CB get over $9M. Do you really think Greer is worth that much?

He is worth that much in my opinion. We need to keep our strong defensive players and he is definitely one of them. With our Offense just this year scoring touchdowns (more weeks than previous years anyways) we need to help them stay on the field. Greer is one of those players. QB's of other teams throw to Mcgee's side over Greer's. We need him

I like him more than I like Mcgee (more Winfield (not as flashy but in some ways more consistant) than Clements, maybe), I would hope we could find a way to just resign him, I know we have talented back ups but if they are lead by a decent vet it helps. Personally, I hope they drafted McKelvin to replace Mcgee. Youboty and Corner are good for the nickel. Face it he is going to be the cheaper option than Mcgee and we should try to lock him up. Even if he costs a pretty penny, (how many above average players do we even have, much less pay decently) we are not going to be able to afford to pay Terrance. We could afford to keep J.G. even with spend to the cap. Plus, next year we get the young guys more learning time and no doubt a break out season from Mcgee because he wants to see the money. I also like the depth and being able to spend on other needs, which if we pay Mcgee after next season we won't be able to do it. We have others that will need bigger money that year too.

He is worth that much in my opinion. We need to keep our strong defensive players and he is definitely one of them. With our Offense just this year scoring touchdowns (more weeks than previous years anyways) we need to help them stay on the field. Greer is one of those players. QB's of other teams throw to Mcgee's side over Greer's. We need him

You would really tie up over $9M for a CB when that is the only place on D where we have depth? We have far more pressing needs on the D-Line and LB to do that.