Franchise Greer

BillsVet

Yes he can sign it Most often players don't as they expect to get more on the market. In Greers case unlikely so if I were him, I'd sign the offer right away. Then the Bills are stuck with it. In most cases the tender offer is less than the player will get on open maket, so if he did sign the offer the team who frnachised him isn't getting a bad deal

So as was stated prior, you ONLY do this IF you're willing to pay him $9mil.

One comment regarding upcapped year. There are so many restrictions still in place with the uncapped year, who knows the exact mpact. For example players need six years to be considered a UFA as opposed to four.

BTW with Peters coming back when he did this season, does he now qualify as UFA? I think he does??

Would he be allowed to sign the offer sheet and just stay? If so, too big a risk imo.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he can sign it Most often players don't as they expect to get more on the market. In Greers case unlikely so if I were him, I'd sign the offer right away. Then the Bills are stuck with it. In most cases the tender offer is less than the player will get on open maket, so if he did sign the offer the team who frnachised him isn't getting a bad deal

So as was stated prior, you ONLY do this IF you're willing to pay him $9mil.

One comment regarding upcapped year. There are so many restrictions still in place with the uncapped year, who knows the exact mpact. For example players need six years to be considered a UFA as opposed to four.

BTW with Peters coming back when he did this season, does he now qualify as UFA? I think he does??

I think Peters still has 2 years left on his contract.

I say give Greer a new contract to stay in Buffalo, and if it isnt enough then use the franchise on him, so if he does leave then we get a pick for him.

Let him and McKelvin play corner next year, (McKelvin needs to learn the 12 days of Christmas in the offseason:) move McGee to Safety with Whitner and say bye bye to KO !

Youbouty is the nickle and R.Corner the Dime. Draft maybe a 4-6th round CB.

That said, franchise him and get a pick instead of letting him walk out the door. While he's not the name that Clements was after 06, JG will get significant attention on the UFA market. If the Bills have learned anything, they'll franchise Greer with the sole intent of trading him. I highly doubt they'll get stuck with a franchise tender as too many teams like CLE, STL, DET, and others need a NFL ready CB.

There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Who in the hell thinks Greer is worth top-5 CB money or two first round picks?