Let's say the Bills pick 12th

Justice

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like the Bills to get the center from Penn State A.Q. Shipley. I think he would be a nice fit to this offense giving them so more speed on the screen pass. In this clip watch him around 1:55 pound his guy into the endzone from the 3 yard line, wouldn't mind seeing holes like that for marshawn to run through.

undefined

I really haven't seen much of either Center that you guys mentioned. I've only heard of this Alex Mack fella, but if you're asking me for my opinion, I think unless he is an absolute steal at the position we draft at, I'd MUCH rather draft a defensive end or a linebacker.

You mention that our defense was half decent (in another thread), but 2 positions we lack real depth (and many would argue if they were NFL caliber starters) at are defensive end and linebacker. I watch teams (with much envy) like the Ravens, Giants, Titans, Cowboys and Steelers, and those guys are in every game because they play smash mouth defense that keeps the offense in the game.

Yes, I do understand we need a real center, but can't we find one through free agency or even in another round of the draft instead of drafting him in the 1st round? As much as I've defended the defense for not being the worst in the league (which they aren't), I can acknowledge they are far from being an elite defense and I think we lack depth in key positions.

Digest this from Ourlads Scouting service....#1 Center, Alex Mack 6' 3 1/2" 316 lbs.

Powerful and mobile with good awareness and hustles to block on the perimeter. Good effort to finish his blocks and stays engaged with the defender. Plays with a good base after a quick initial step. Takes good angles to cut off the linebackers on the second level. Plays with a good knee bend and body control. Explosive, smart, and competitive in his play. Can be a dominant player with his strength and quickness. Uses his hands effectively to punch and control target. Plays square in pass protection to wall off and position rusher. Does both the shotgun and conventional snaps. Moves his feet on contact in both the running and passing game. Bottom line is that he blocks his man. Pac-10 defensive linemen voted him the Morris Trophy, best blocker in 2007.

P.S. Hope that helps! YES, take him unless Orapko is available also. If Brian Oropko is available, give up 2010 1st rounder to add Mack too!!!!!!

MARK MY WORDS everyone and repeat after me... The Colts will NOT let Jeff Saturday go anywhere! When they were 3-4 they were without their center and they paid the price for it dearly. Peyton Manning would have a breakdown if he ever left. He will be siged, quite likely before free agency "kicks off" in March. Otherwise they would franchise or transition him. Matt Birk is cemented in Minneapolis! He anchors a line with Steve Hutchinson and I highly doubt that duo gets split up either!

Would you reach for Alex Mack at that spot knowing he wont be there when we pick again in the second?

I would. He (Mack) is a definite upgrade at center and can change our offense completely.

No. I'd trade well back into the first round, stock another pick or two on day 1 and take my chances that Mack is there. At #12 there will be trade partners this year.

#12 is VERY high for a center in ANY year, but especially in a deep draft like this one. If you get to that pick late in round 1 and he's gone, at least you have extra picks to improve your team and if you are dead set on drafting a center there should promising center prospects even on day 2 this year(it's a rare year). I have always been against reaching to fill positions of need, it's a bad long term strategy and as people often find out, draft picks are almost always LONG TERM strategy(see the meager results of McKelvin and Hardy this season).

No way, we need an impact pass rusher be it defensive end with a player like Michael Johnson of GT or Brian Orapko of UT or at linebacker with someone like Aaron Curry of Wake to replace Crowell.

Agreed....someone who can pass rush should be the top priority, IMO. I'd prefer a DE, but if we can get an outside linebacker that can do the same, I'm all for it.

As much as he was touted as the best center in the draft, he's actually 2 or 3. Unger out of Oregon is a little bigger and can also play all three line positions, with Center his best bet. Also there's Caldwell, Luigs and the dude out of Louisville that have dealt with size in their careers. Also, in FA you have Birk, Saturday and my personal fave on the Ravens Jason Brown - 26, goes against the 3-4 in his division (and his own team).

If we are at 12, we gotta get either a pass rusher in the form of a DE or a LB. Heck, if Mount Cody is there at 12, I say take him!

Would you reach for Alex Mack at that spot knowing he wont be there when we pick again in the second?

I would. He (Mack) is a definite upgrade at center and can change our offense completely.

No way, I love Mack but at 12 you must get a pass rushing end. LB's can come later for the style of D we play. Second round will have two or three good center prospects. The only way I see getting Mack is trading Schobel to Det for Dallas' pick and getting him there.

Buffalo has a myriad of holes to fill in the off-season. Arguing that is pure insanity.

This draft will feature a bigger collection of talent because agents know a rookie cap may be on the way in the near future. A lot of guys are going to come out early this year.

With distinct issues at C, TE, OLB, DE, DT, and S (depending on when Whitner reverts to FS), Buffalo is back to taking BPA at a need position.

It's amazing that after three years of rebuilding this team, Buffalo still has so many personnel issues. Drafting 12th should give them a chance to trade down. If not, go best pass rusher and address Center in the second with Jonathan Luigs or Max Unger.

The Bills need to go offence heavy in this draft. The defence is currently goodenough to keep them in games. It won't be considered a top 5 -10 defence, but tis not a problem. Adding a pass rushing DE would be nice, but theres bigger more pressing needs on offence that must be addressed if this team is going to succeed. If they don't spend the offseason upgrading the offence, they will need the best defence in the league to hold teams under 6 points to have any chance to win games. This current defence is good enough to hold teams to around 20 points, they now need an offence that can score more then FG's if they want to see the playoffs next year.

OC, TE, FB, Some depth forthe rest of the o-line, WR are all musts or else they will be stuck again looking at the playoffs from the outside

if the bills think he will become a probowl C they better draft him.

I HATE the concept of a "reach" you pick the best guy available for a position of need. who the helll cares where mel kipers says the guy should be drafted. who holds the alleged draft experts accountable 3 years after their mocks? If they were that good at evaluating talent they would be working for a team somewhere. ever go back and look at old mock drafts 2,3,4 years after the fact? some of their picks are horrible but no one holds them accountable and fans base their opinions on some knee jerk reaction from a worthless talking head.

The Bills need to go offence heavy in this draft. The defence is currently goodenough to keep them in games. It won't be considered a top 5 -10 defence, but tis not a problem. Adding a pass rushing DE would be nice, but theres bigger more pressing needs on offence that must be addressed if this team is going to succeed. If they don't spend the offseason upgrading the offence, they will need the best defence in the league to hold teams under 6 points to have any chance to win games. This current defence is good enough to hold teams to around 20 points, they now need an offence that can score more then FG's if they want to see the playoffs next year.

OC, TE, FB, Some depth forthe rest of the o-line, WR are all musts or else they will be stuck again looking at the playoffs from the outside

Sorry apus.....thats just crazy...have you SEEN our pass rush this year?

we had a pass rush? sweeet. i have to tell my mom. i didn't know we had one!

if they bring in a pass rushing DE, that will make a huge difference on turnovers, that our offense needs bad. We need good on rushing D adding stroud. our rushing D has been sound for the most part. now we need to add another block to the D.

the offense..... god help it. we need some new players and some one new doing the playcalling