Ralph calls the SF loss "the worst performance

bananathumb

For those who fear that changes would hurt us, look at Miami. From a laughingstock last year at 1-15 to a more than respectable team this year. What a difference one year makes...

Agreed. i think that in this day and age, and looking at Miami and Atlanta as examples, bringing the right coaches in can bring immediate results. Any coaching staff that would use the excuse that it "takes years" for players to learn and be successful in a particular system is basically setting up an excuse for failure.

I dont think it is unreasonable to expect any competent coach to come in and turn things around quickly if he has identified the strengths and weaknesses of the team, and knows how to properly address them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it honestly too much to ask that a new coach assess what valuable personnel he does have and then adapt a scheme to that, all the while working acquiring talent for the scheme he wants to run?

Sometimes, yes. As I just said in the other reply, I think it depends upon who they'd bring in.

Give it a rest. Ralph and Jauron already know what they have in Losman: an 80yd TD pass to Evans followed by 4 sacks a game, 2 fumbles, 2 interceptions, 20 min TOP on offense, and a game loss. Losman is too mentally slow to be a starting QB in the modern NFL. The jury is still out on Edwards. As long as Edwards is healthy, he starts these final 4 games because - as sorry as it sounds right now - he's still the QB that gives our team the best chance to win.

I'm not attempting to dredge up any QB debate, I'm merely suggesting that Jauron could be acting out of desperation? Yes, he knows what he has in JP. But he also knows Trent has been in a real funk lately. He doesn't have time to let Trent play himself out of it. He needs to win now and he's desperate. I could be full of it, I don't know. Just something to think about.

Absolutely. Good to know the owner expects better. Good to hear anything from this front office. Where the heck is Brandon? Guy is invisible publically. Jauron, (winning or not) should not be the only public face for this team.

IIRC, Polian, Butler and Done a ho' never made public pronouncements very often if at all because it undermines the coach.

I was on the save Jauron bandwagon but to go from 4-0 to the current state of the team is just unforgivable. I don't know where to stand on this anymore. If he comes back for a year then ok. If he's let go and they bring in Cowhead, Schottenheimer or a very highly thought of coordinator then great!!

He doesn't have time to let Trent play himself out of it. He needs to win now and he's desperate.

I've thought the same since Edwards was benched, oops, hurt in the end of the first half last week. It lends itself to a certain ironic sense of historical symmetry, as this is exactly what happened to Losman by Mularkey in 2005. All predicated that Edwards isn't actually hurt, of course. :unsure:

I really hope you're right. I think you are. But, I'm just not sure. Sometimes these guys looks great, but then you see some really bad for stretches. I guess it comes down to who they'd bring in. Yeah Miami and Atlanta did it this year, but what about KC? It all comes down to who they bring in, IMO. And that, perhaps, is what concerns me most. When was the last time they brought in quality at any coaching position?

Dick LeBeau as an assistant.

I've thought the same since Edwards was benched, oops, hurt in the end of the first half last week. It lends itself to a certain ironic sense of historical symmetry, as this is exactly what happened to Losman by Mularkey in 2005. All predicated that Edwards isn't actually hurt, of course. :unsure:

True. Trent may be hurt, but is he hurt so much that he can't start? Yeah this is just me wasting thoughts, but it'll get more intriguing if JP somehow manages to play well in a Bills win this weekend.

Dick LeBeau as an assistant.

Too bad he didn't want to stay.

I dont think it is unreasonable to expect any competent coach to come in and turn things around quickly if he has identified the strengths and weaknesses of the team, and knows how to properly address them.

This is what I don't understand. The Bills always seem to get head coaches/ O&D coordinators that

subscribe to the square peg/round hole school of thought.

The idea of adapting their schemes to the strengths of the players they actually have never seems to occur to them.

To me it's the play calling. 2nd and goal and we pass twice when we were running with no problem. Running Marshawn once in the 4th quarter. Bad play calling.

Is exactly the reason we lost....

We dont put the ball in our best players hands.....

This is what I don't understand. The Bills always seem to get head coaches/ O&D coordinators that

subscribe to the square peg/round hole school of thought.

The idea of adapting their schemes to the strengths of the players they actually have never seems to occur to them.

Egos. They got where they are because of a system, and hell or high water they're going to try and make it work. The good ones run a system they think works, but tweek it here and there for the players they have until they can get the players they want. The bad ones run it no matter who is on the roster. The Bills have had a string of bad ones...inexperienced coordinators bumped up to head coaching positions and out to prove their system works, and now a veteran head coach who's system has never worked but he's too clever by half to try anything else. That's my take, the caveat being I'm a bacteriologist and never played a down of professional football.

Agreed. i think that in this day and age, and looking at Miami and Atlanta as examples, bringing the right coaches in can bring immediate results.

Don't forget that the Fish also brought in Chad Pennington, who I think will be a free agent after this year. Let's go after him and sign him in the off season. Let Trent study under him for a couple of years, then he may be ready!

Is it honestly too much to ask that a new coach assess what valuable personnel he does have and then adapt a scheme to that, all the while working acquiring talent for the scheme he wants to run?

When you have an inept personnel department that has been in place for eight years, YES.

A coach makes many decisions on player acquisition but the personnel department is the balance of powers that understands the salary cap and can make decisions on (a) what areas of the football team should we invest our limited dollars in (b) whether a player's ability and his salary match and © the value of a draft pick.

The Bills' front office has failed miserably on all three counts. Forget the Whitner pick, we'll never agree on that.

But trading up for McCargo, spending $100M on DOCKERY and WALKER, extending Kelsay, signing a washed up Peerless to a multi-year deal, signing Triplett to a multi-year deal... these types of decisions can cripple a franchise.

When you have an inept personnel department that has been in place for eight years, YES.

A coach makes many decisions on player acquisition but the personnel department is the balance of powers that understands the salary cap and can make decisions on (a) what areas of the football team should we invest our limited dollars in (b) whether a player's ability and his salary match and © the value of a draft pick.

The Bills' front office has failed miserably on all three counts. Forget the Whitner pick, we'll never agree on that.

But trading up for McCargo, spending $100M on DOCKERY and WALKER, extending Kelsay, signing a washed up Peerless to a multi-year deal, signing Triplett to a multi-year deal... these types of decisions can cripple a franchise.

Still, a coach needs ot be able to take what he's got and make it work. You cant sit here and force a scheme on players when you do not have the right personnel. As for McCargo, he busted, that happens. Its not the end of the world, and that single pick didnt cripple the franchise. With regards to price and tripplett, i'll aruge that they were thought of as nothing more than holdovers until we had better players in place. When you have a team devoid of talent and can't address it all in 1 offseason, you need to sign some temporary holdover type players that you intend to replace within 2-3 years. As for Kelsay, at the time, given his past production and contracts for similar caliber players, he wasn't overpaid. Whether or not he's lived up to the contract is another story entirely.

For those who fear that changes would hurt us, look at Miami. From a laughingstock last year at 1-15 to a more than respectable team this year. What a difference one year makes...

Not that I'm defending the job Jauron has done but turning around a 1-15 team to a 7-9 or 8-8 club is much easier than getting those 3-4 extra wins needed to move from 7-9 to the playoffs.

That being said I want to see a well prepared team these past 4 weeks. If they lose to better teams so be it. But I want to see none of the bumbling around, getting to the LoS with 2 seconds left and having to burn time outs type of stuff we've seen in the past 7 weeks. I'd also like to see some better decisions during critical times - namely the red zone.

USA Today article quotes Ralph as above. Jauron probably needs at least an 8-8 record to keep his job. Three years of 7-9 would be unacceptable whether he has been extended or not. If the Bills embarrass Wilson in Toronto, he'll perhaps forget about how much money he's making from the game and start making plans for change.

I DROVE BY MYSELF 5 1/2 HOURS TO SEE THAT GAME.I CANT BELIEVE WHAT I SAW. IT WAS THE WORST PERFORMANCE I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS. WHAT A sh------- TRIP.

Still, a coach needs ot be able to take what he's got and make it work. You cant sit here and force a scheme on players when you do not have the right personnel. As for McCargo, he busted, that happens. Its not the end of the world, and that single pick didnt cripple the franchise. With regards to price and tripplett, i'll aruge that they were thought of as nothing more than holdovers until we had better players in place. When you have a team devoid of talent and can't address it all in 1 offseason, you need to sign some temporary holdover type players that you intend to replace within 2-3 years. As for Kelsay, at the time, given his past production and contracts for similar caliber players, he wasn't overpaid. Whether or not he's lived up to the contract is another story entirely.

Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney are our starting defensive ends. There is NO SCHEME that our personnel will fit.

Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney are our starting defensive ends. There is NO SCHEME that our personnel will fit.

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with this. Our defensive scheme of blitzing a lot and moving guys around and keeping the offense in the dark as to what we're bringing worked great in several games this year, namely Seattle, Jacksonville, San Francisco, and Dallas last year. However, for some unknown god forsaken reason, our coaches choose not to run it more than we do. If we were to be aggressive more and go with that we'd be better off. Our defense is currently ranked at #12 in total team defense on NFL.com by the way. #19 in points allowed even with all of the easy points served up by our offensive turnovers. Not bad. Good enough to win 10 with a little offensive help.