I believe Dick Jauron needs to stay

BuffaloBill

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I really thought that Ralph would spend the money to bring in a top notch proven coach, maybe I would agree that he should go. But reality is, Ralph would bring in another coordinator or recycled coach and we would be starting all over again. At least if DJ stays you have some continuity, as they say teams hardly ever win in the first year of a head coach (sure it has happened but not often). I do agree maybe some changes on his staff need to be made. There was alot of hype on how the offense was going to open up with the new Coordinator, but it isn't much different. After Norv Turner gets the can in San Diego, maybe we can bring him here to run the offense, or after the 49ers can Mike Martz, he would work too. As long as Ralph doesn't bring either of them in with the thought of them being a future Head Coach, as they both, especially Norv, have proven it doesn't work.

If I really thought that Ralph would spend the money to bring in a top notch proven coach, maybe I would agree that he should go. But reality is, Ralph would bring in another coordinator or recycled coach and we would be starting all over again.

I don't think it's even some type of "I've heard of him" situation. I just think the Bills have not had the best of luck in selecting a head coach and that head coach, in turn, hasn't much success in selecting a good coaching staff. I don't rule out coordinators; look @ what Mike Smith has done in Atlanta, or what Mike Tomlin has done in Pittsburgh. It's more picking the right person than anything, whether it's a former coach, college coach, coordinator, or even a position coach.

I also wonder if we could be facing a situation where Jauron is the right coach and it would be premature to start over. Remeber Jeff Fisher and his string of 7-9 and 8-8 seasons (4 in a row) early in his tenure...now the Titans have a proven program and they are eitehr contenders or at the very worst a tough out every year. If they had dumped Fisher and restarted with a new coach, would they ever have achieved the success they had?

I didn't think Meathead or Greggo would ever develop into decent HCs, Jauron, I am on the fence with. If we could replace Jauron with a guy like Schottenheimer, cool, but somehow I don't think Marty is coming here. It would be another chance hire and I may be inclined to go with another year of Jauron and see if this team can take the jump the Titans did in the late 90s.

As others have hinted @ in their posts, if the Bills do decide to go w/ another head coach, it does not mean they need to wait another 3 years for results. Atlanta, Baltimore, and Miami all have new coaches in place and have improved greatly.

The problem is, even if the Bills get a new head coach, will they also get cohesion from the owner to the GM (if they decide to hire one) on down to the coach? That is what this team has been missing since Polian was fired and 'til they get that back, I don't think any of the "flip flopping" of coaches will make a difference.

If Ralph wants to win the Ring in his lifetime, he has to step back and let his managers manage. The alternative is changing every three years, just to change.

I also wonder if we could be facing a situation where Jauron is the right coach and it would be premature to start over. Remeber Jeff Fisher and his string of 7-9 and 8-8 seasons (4 in a row) early in his tenure...now the Titans have a proven program and they are eitehr contenders or at the very worst a tough out every year. If they had dumped Fisher and restarted with a new coach, would they ever have achieved the success they had?

I didn't think Meathead or Greggo would ever develop into decent HCs, Jauron, I am on the fence with. If we could replace Jauron with a guy like Schottenheimer, cool, but somehow I don't think Marty is coming here. It would be another chance hire and I may be inclined to go with another year of Jauron and see if this team can take the jump the Titans did in the late 90s.

You remind me of those chicks in the movies that have been battered by their boyfriend and are telling the cops that he'll change, that he'll become a good boyfriend eventually.

Please stop with the comparisons to Jeff Fischer. BOTH HIM AND DICK ARE THE SAME AGE! One guy has had a brilliant head coaching career and one guy had a forgetful losing head coaching career. Your point would have vaiidity if this was a young coach we were debating about like Fischer was all those years ago. But that's not the case. Jauron is a complete failure as a head coach and he's got eight whole losing seasons under his belt as proof. And if that doesn't convince you then look at how his team was beat at home by lousy teams like Cleveland and San Francisco. It's over for Dick Jauron, he's had more than enough chances to prove he was the next Jeff Fischer.

Agreed. Sometimes teams get lucky like Atlanta and Baltimore. Alot of it is because they have young QB's that are playing very well and not making killer mistakes. Also, Baltimore has great veteran leadership on D. Overall though, it's been proven that the teams that keep going thru cycles of coaching changes are just big fat Losers. If they keep Jauron they need to take a serious look at his assistants and make changes where necessary. One thing for sure...this team has no chemistry between it's coaches and players. Even the players have no chemistry with each other. It's a bad mix.

Interesting thoughts .. I agree .. but last year during the medical ward and ambulance season the team was tight. Remember they held hands or locked arms on the sideline earlier this year. Winning creates chemistry. Losing destrys it.

The problems on this team are tied to offensive inefficiency and failure to execute at critical times. I can actually set the SF game aside - every team lays an egg at some point in the season - and had Lindell been better they maybe could have won the thing - I did say maybe.

I just do not want three years of rebuilding ... again. Let ralph take dick to the woodshed at the end of the offseason. Probably need to hire a new OC and pray that we have an excellent draft.

You remind me of those chicks in the movies that have been battered by their boyfriend and are telling the cops that he'll change, that he'll become a good boyfriend eventually.

Please stop with the comparisons to Jeff Fischer. BOTH HIM AND DICK ARE THE SAME AGE! One guy has had a brilliant head coaching career and one guy had a forgetful losing head coaching career. Your point would have vaiidity if this was a young coach we were debating about like Fischer was all those years ago. But that's not the case. Jauron is a complete failure as a head coach and he's got eight whole losing seasons under his belt as proof. And if that doesn't convince you then look at how his team was beat at home by lousy teams like Cleveland and San Francisco. It's over for Dick Jauron, he's had more than enough chances to prove he was the next Jeff Fischer.

1billsfan- don't mistake my patience for defending Jauron. All I want is to isolate the problem we've had- personally, I DON'T LIKE the schemes we run. Has it been bad coaching or bad players- face it, you don't know and neither do I. Our offensive line has been declining since the day Polian left. Our D-line is terrible. I would prefer good lines and bad skill players to having it the other way around, because you can have some sense of what you are doing with a good line.

If we change coaches we do- not really a big deal, but we'll be starting over again. I prefer to continue down the current road- then we fix the lines and see where it takes us- that would isolate whatever problem is holding us back. Either way, Wilson will never get a blue chip coach.

That said, there is no quick fix- the two lines are in such disarray it will take 2-3 years to fix them as good linemen are hard to come by.

If we change coaches we do- not really a big deal, but we'll be starting over again. I prefer to continue down the current road- then we fix the lines and see where it takes us- that would isolate whatever problem is holding us back.

I read this on here, but if you fire the coach do you lose all of your players too? Why would we need to totally rebuild? Get a coach who can take what we've got and build on it through player acquisition and better schemes mainly on offense, and we can continue onward and upward. Don't hire someone if he says "I have my system I'll run come hell or high water. I need to get my kind of players in here to be successful."

I'd say stick it out with Dick for another year if we're going to get some like that or a neophyte who must "learn" on the job for the next 3 years until we fire him too. Hire a good experienced coach and carry on.

I read this on here, but if you fire the coach do you lose all of your players too? Why would we need to totally rebuild? Get a coach who can take what we've got and build on it through player acquisition and better schemes mainly on offense, and we can continue onward and upward. Don't hire someone if he says "I have my system I'll run come hell or high water. I need to get my kind of players in here to be successful."

I'd say stick it out with Dick for another year if we're going to get some like that or a neophyte who must "learn" on the job for the next 3 years until we fire him too. Hire a good experienced coach and carry on.

Depends on whether you change schemes or not- personally, I despise the Cover-2

After watching Monday's presser I realize that tossing DJ will solve nothing. If Lindell had made his kicks - or perhaps if Schonert had made the right calls in the Cleveland and SF games we would be 7-4. The record is what it is. Two or three moe years of rebuilding under another coach is not the answer. If Jauron brings on an experienced OC and QB coach in the off season thne he has done his job.

This is a young team. Edwards needs time to develop. In the mean time the defense has shown dramatic improvement.

OK, he stays.

The problems on this team are tied to offensive inefficiency and failure to execute at critical times. I just do not want three years of rebuilding ... again. Let ralph take dick to the woodshed at the end of the offseason. Probably need to hire a new OC and pray that we have an excellent draft.

Agreed. I actually think the OC (Turk) is getting blasted for what we all wished for. We hated last year when the Bills got inside the 10-12 yard line that they predictably ran on nearly every play. So what does Turk do? He tries to mix it up in the red zone and calls some passes. They fail to execute. The calls weren't necessarily bad, the execution was horrible. Even on the running plays down there vs. SF we got no gain or lost yardage. And here's everyone whining that they shoulda' run, run, run! The winners in this league execute the plays. I'm fine with Dick being shown the door, but the fans really need to understand that this Bills team is not all that good. Coaching or not... They lost at home to the Browns and 49ers. Obviously the players aren't as good as we think/thought!

Obviously the players aren't as good as we think/thought!

Some are, some aren't. The fact is that when your offensive and defensive lines are horribly inadequate, you can have hall of famers behind them and it won't matter. Everything begins and ends at the line of scrimmage- remember when the Dallas/San Francisco rivalry turned in the 1990's.....

Agreed. I actually think the OC (Turk) is getting blasted for what we all wished for. We hated last year when the Bills got inside the 10-12 yard line that they predictably ran on nearly every play. So what does Turk do? He tries to mix it up in the red zone and calls some passes. They fail to execute. The calls weren't necessarily bad, the execution was horrible. Even on the running plays down there vs. SF we got no gain or lost yardage. And here's everyone whining that they shoulda' run, run, run! The winners in this league execute the plays. I'm fine with Dick being shown the door, but the fans really need to understand that this Bills team is not all that good. Coaching or not... They lost at home to the Browns and 49ers. Obviously the players aren't as good as we think/thought!

The problem, as I see it, is with situational play calling. It's calling for a pass when the run game is clearly getting you yardage. It's calling an up the middle dive when they've been getting stuffed in the middle all day. It's calling a WR screen when the DBs are playing tight man coverage. And so on and so forth. Putting the players in a position to succeed is one of the primary ways a coach can affect a game. Unfortunately, our offensive players are more often than not put in bad positions with bad and predictable play calling.

new head coaches in and out every two years is no path towards building a consistently competitive team. We are a VERY young team on offense and its our coordinators first year calling plays. It's not time yet to pull the plug while your trying to build toward something. If we were a veteran team I'd be much more willing to call for his head, even despite my screen name.

The problem, as I see it, is with situational play calling. It's calling for a pass when the run game is clearly getting you yardage. It's calling an up the middle dive when they've been getting stuffed in the middle all day. It's calling a WR screen when the DBs are playing tight man coverage. And so on and so forth. Putting the players in a position to succeed is one of the primary ways a coach can affect a game. Unfortunately, our offensive players are more often than not put in bad positions with bad and predictable play calling.

Summary: Bills playcallers are stupid. Jauron and company is a blind alley. If he had half a brain he'd be trying different schemes. He doesn't and he won't.