UB

John Gianelli

just watched the game on time warner (horrendous quality but oh well). UNREAL!

what a comeback.

turned the game off after they failed to convert on 4th down with 5 minutes to go, down 2 touchdowns. next thing i know, i turn the game back on and they somehow have the ball about to score with 2:35 left. then they convert an f'n onside kick!

drew willy stepped up huge! definitely going to be drafted, in my opinion..

Lets not get ahead of ourselves

Have you been following this guy??? There's no way he DOESN'T get drafted. 4 wins on the last play of the game...clinched the conference in OT after overcoming a 21 point deficit. The MAC is the cradle of QB's: Rothlesberger, Leftwich, Pennington...and now Willy.

PTR

Have you been following this guy??? There's no way he DOESN'T get drafted. 4 wins on the last play of the game...clinched the conference in OT after overcoming a 21 point deficit. The MAC is the cradle of QB's: Rothlesberger, Leftwich, Pennington...and now Willy.

PTR

Oh geez, here we go again. You do know of course that the two best QB's in the MAC, by far, are Nate Davis and Dan Lefevour right?

Now, I haven't seen Willy play except in some very limited highlights.......but Davis and LeFevour are by far the two best. Davis is guaranteed to be drafted, and Lefevour is the poor man's Tim Tebow. I'm not sure about Lefevour's draft prospects.

Other than visiting this board, I've never heard Willy's name once! Not saying he isn't good, but cmon.

Oh geez, here we go again. You do know of course that the two best QB's in the MAC, by far, are Nate Davis and Dan Lefevour right?

Now, I haven't seen Willy play except in some very limited highlights.......but Davis and LeFevour are by far the two best. Davis is guaranteed to be drafted, and Lefevour is the poor man's Tim Tebow. I'm not sure about Lefevour's draft prospects.

Other than visiting this board, I've never heard Willy's name once! Not saying he isn't good, but cmon.

Ah, you've admitted you haven't seen him play much except on a very limited basis, and you've never heard his name (me wonders where would you hear his name outside of this board considering the lack of attention UB gets on any sports show)... so you must be right.

That's pretty silly, if you ask me. I think you should do a little homework before you assume LeFevour and Davis are "by far" the two best quarterbacks in the MAC. That isn't the point, the point is, this man stands a very good chance of being drafted in a pretty good position considering the turn-around for UB. The amount of "NFL arm" and "NFL throw" references tonight were sickening. He'll only help his chances if he continues to play this well. He looked like a stud out there, in the clutch moments of the game.

I've not seen anything from Willy that shows pro potential. Has he won a few games late? yeah, but like I said, its highly unlikely that he gets drafted. He's no Roth or Pennington.

Ben Rothlisberger

G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Y/A Cmp% Rate Y/G

14 342 495 4486 37 10 9.1 69.1 165.8 320.4 2003

38 854 1304 10829 84 34 8.3 65.5 151.3 285.0 career

Chad Pennington

ATT CMP YDS TD rating

405 275 3799 37 171.4 1999

Pennington finished his career at Marshall with 1,026 of 1,619 completions for 13,423 yards and 115 touchdowns, with only 45 interceptions

Drew Willy

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2008 206 325 2348 63.4 7.23 68 18 4 22 139.89 so far in 2008

CAREER STATS

YARDS TOUCHDOWNS

7,792 45

Sorry guys, I know he's winning, but he's not draft material.

Ah, you've admitted you haven't seen him play much except on a very limited basis, and you've never heard his name (me wonders where would you hear his name outside of this board considering the lack of attention UB gets on any sports show)... so you must be right.

That's pretty silly, if you ask me. I think you should do a little homework before you assume LeFevour and Davis are "by far" the two best quarterbacks in the MAC. That isn't the point, the point is, this man stands a very good chance of being drafted in a pretty good position considering the turn-around for UB. The amount of "NFL arm" and "NFL throw" references tonight were sickening. He'll only help his chances if he continues to play this well. He looked like a stud out there, in the clutch moments of the game.

Seriously here, I'm probably the most knowledgable poster on this site about the MAC Conference. The only QB's I know that are supposed shoe-ins to get drafted are Nate Davis of Ball State, and Dan Lefevour (somewhere late 5-6 from all I can find). When the next hot QB comes up outside of these two in the MAC it is almost always Tim Heller of Western Michigan.

The turnaround for UB is all some mythical thing you guys have created in your head. Great, so UB is a decent MAC team. Consider this......Ball State had the longest losing streak in the country five years ago. Now, they are knocking on the door of a BCS bowl game. Lead by Davis, they have turned around from the joke of D-1 football to a MAC power backed by a solid NFL draft prospect in Davis.

LeFevour has stats equivalent to Tim Tebow's, especially last season. He's a stud, and both he and Davis are only Juniors. LeFevour has owned the MAC in his tenure and he was unseated by Davis as to who is considered the best in the MAC. THese two QB's are known nationally, by scouts, and by household name.

Tim Heller of Western Michigan is the next up and comer in the MAC. He's done some things this season that have turned heads, and he's played well in a couple of showcase games against good competition. He will square off for what is basically the MAC Championship next week against Ball State.

THese three guys are all thought of very highly in the NFL Circles, AND they have all been studs in the MAC COnference. The UB rags to riches story isn't all that great a story as you make them out to be. Every team in the MAC usually goes from bottom to top, and then fall right back down again. The cycle constantly repeats itself. Drew Willy has done nothing that isn't being dwarfed by other MAC QB's at this time in the conference.

Not saying he isn't good, but geeeeez. UB's is pretty much a slightly above average MAC team in a horrible Eastern Division. Turner Gill hasn't done anything near what say......Brady Hoke has done in Muncie. Willy is the same.

I hope Willy gets drafted. If he does, and LeFevour, Davis and Hiller come out, it could very well mean that the MAC will have four drafted QB's. But, Willy, is a guy I never hear buzz about other than on this board.

I'm just sayin. Hope I'm wrong for the kid!

I've not seen anything from Willy that shows pro potential. Has he won a few games late? yeah, but like I said, its highly unlikely that he gets drafted. He's no Roth or Pennington.

Ben Rothlisberger

G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Y/A Cmp% Rate Y/G

14 342 495 4486 37 10 9.1 69.1 165.8 320.4 2003

38 854 1304 10829 84 34 8.3 65.5 151.3 285.0 career

Chad Pennington

ATT CMP YDS TD rating

405 275 3799 37 171.4 1999

Pennington finished his career at Marshall with 1,026 of 1,619 completions for 13,423 yards and 115 touchdowns, with only 45 interceptions

Drew Willy

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2008 206 325 2348 63.4 7.23 68 18 4 22 139.89 so far in 2008

CAREER STATS

YARDS TOUCHDOWNS

7,792 45

Sorry guys, I know he's winning, but he's not draft material.

Hell, why did you go to those guys, just go to the guys in the MAC right now, who are shoe in draft prospects......

Nate Davis - Ball State

2006 150 245 1975 61.2 8.06 81 18 8 13 146.65

2007 270 478 3667 56.5 7.67 77 30 6 26 139.13

2008 201 299 2822 67.2 9.44 61 24 6 10 168.98

Those stats are just SICK. Almost Ridiculous. 72 TD's, and 20 INT's. He's only a junior.

Dan Lefevour

2006 247 388 3031 63.7 7.81 88 26 10 24 146.24

2007 355 543 3652 65.4 6.73 76 27 13 22 133.50

2008 201 298 2153 67.5 7.23 46 15 4 17 142.07

THese are equally disgusting, and you have to add to LeFevour's stats that he also has

32 More Rushing TD's on top of his 68 TD's passing, and nearly 2300 more rushing yards. That's Tebow stuff.

Ummmmmm........Studs. All three years of playing football for their teams.

Seriously here, I'm probably the most knowledgable poster on this site about the MAC Conference. The only QB's I know that are supposed shoe-ins to get drafted are Nate Davis of Ball State, and Dan Lefevour (somewhere late 5-6 from all I can find). When the next hot QB comes up outside of these two in the MAC it is almost always Tim Heller of Western Michigan.

The turnaround for UB is all some mythical thing you guys have created in your head. Great, so UB is a decent MAC team. Consider this......Ball State had the longest losing streak in the country five years ago. Now, they are knocking on the door of a BCS bowl game. Lead by Davis, they have turned around from the joke of D-1 football to a MAC power backed by a solid NFL draft prospect in Davis.

LeFevour has stats equivalent to Tim Tebow's, especially last season. He's a stud, and both he and Davis are only Juniors. LeFevour has owned the MAC in his tenure and he was unseated by Davis as to who is considered the best in the MAC. THese two QB's are known nationally, by scouts, and by household name.

Tim Heller of Western Michigan is the next up and comer in the MAC. He's done some things this season that have turned heads, and he's played well in a couple of showcase games against good competition. He will square off for what is basically the MAC Championship next week against Ball State.

THese three guys are all thought of very highly in the NFL Circles, AND they have all been studs in the MAC COnference. The UB rags to riches story isn't all that great a story as you make them out to be. Every team in the MAC usually goes from bottom to top, and then fall right back down again. The cycle constantly repeats itself. Drew Willy has done nothing that isn't being dwarfed by other MAC QB's at this time in the conference.

Not saying he isn't good, but geeeeez. UB's is pretty much a slightly above average MAC team in a horrible Eastern Division. Turner Gill hasn't done anything near what say......Brady Hoke has done in Muncie. Willy is the same.

I hope Willy gets drafted. If he does, and LeFevour, Davis and Hiller come out, it could very well mean that the MAC will have four drafted QB's. But, Willy, is a guy I never hear buzz about other than on this board.

I'm just sayin. Hope I'm wrong for the kid!

While I respect your opinion about Ball State, since you do seem to be a pretty big fan of them, I think your view of Buffalo is tainted just because they are in the other half of the conference.

Let me start by saying that I follow UB, but by no means am I a fan. I follow them because I am a Syracuse fan, and am from Buffalo, and since the 'Cuse has sucked so bad, I had to find something else to gain interest in.

Buffalo is not as bad of a team as you make them out to be. Are they going to be going to a BCS game anytime soon? No. Are they one of the top teams in their conference? Absolutely.

Let's not forget that Buffalo is a FG doinked off the uprights, and a late 4th quarter collapse away from beating BOTH Central AND Western Michigan respectively. Not to mention that they played respectable games against both Missouri and Pittsburgh, both better OOC teams than Ball State has played this year. Yes, Ball State beat Indiana, which should be commended, it is good for the conference. But Indiana is BAD.

I think your recent success this year has darkened the rose-colored Ball State sunglasses that you have on. Don't forget that Buffalo and Ball State were in relatively the same position a couple of years ago. Both were complete laughing stocks. Both had coaches come in, get recruits, and take their program to new heights.

As far as Willy goes, over his career he certainly is not the QB that either Davis or LeFevour is. But over this year, they are not that different.

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT

Nate Davis 201 299 2822 67.2 9.44 24 6 169.0

Drew Willy 206 325 2348 63.4 7.23 18 4 139.9

D LeFevour 201 298 2153 67.5 7.23 15 4 142.1

In actuality, Willy and Lefevour are having almost identical years.

It would be great for the MAC if somehow Ball State gets into the BCS, but I don't see it happening. Especially with Utah and Boise State still hanging around. If both of them had one loss, I would say it's a possibility, but without it, they both have much better quality wins than Ball State does.

I am really excited to see the Ball State - Buffalo matchup. I think it will be a much better game than you think.

Ok. Look at Paul Smith's numbers from last year. Compare them to Drew Willy's entire freaking career.

Smith went in the, what, sixth round? Where do we think Willy will be drafted?

From Mel Kiper's chat Wednesday (11/19) afternoon:

Jeff (St. Catharines, Ontario): Are any of the MAC QBs legit pro prospects (specifically Davis, Willy, and LeFeveour)?

Mel Kiper: (1:26 PM ET ) Yes. There are a number of them. The guy that's the top guy, by far, is Nate Davis at Ball State, a junior. He's my sixth highest rated QB right now. Also, Dan LeFevour. Also, Tim Hiller at Western Michigan, a junior. A very underrated kid, Drew Willy, a senior at Buffalo. He'll probably be a 6-7 round pick, but I think he has a chance to make a team and develop down the road.

Also interesting...

Phil, (The Woodlands, Texas): Mel, Will injuries and not practicing on a regular basis hurt Beanie Wells in the draft?

Mel Kiper: (1:49 PM ET ) First of all, we have to see what his decision is going to be. I don't think it will effect him dramatically. Go back to the LSU game, no one caught him from the back in that game. You can see what he's meant to this OSU offense, when he's in there. Completely different offense. I don't think the injury will hurt him that much. If he comes out, he's either the top RB or the second highest rated RB. His competition are all underclassmen. Moreno, McCoy are there. And I'm going to give you a very underrated junior RB. Very underrated. James Starks at Buffalo.

Mel Kiper: (1:50 PM ET ) Naaman Roosevelt, junior WR, is also another underrated standout at Buffalo. Two guys to keep an eye on.

Seriously here, I'm probably the most knowledgable poster on this site about the MAC Conference.

You admit to not watching Willy play, thus admitting you have not watched any UB Football (MAC Eastern Champs) and you can make this kind of statement? What a joke, any of your comments can not possibly be taken seriously. Go UB!

Jeff (St. Catharines, Ontario): Are any of the MAC QBs legit pro prospects (specifically Davis, Willy, and LeFeveour)?

Mel Kiper: (1:26 PM ET ) Yes. There are a number of them. The guy that's the top guy, by far, is Nate Davis at Ball State, a junior. He's my sixth highest rated QB right now. Also, Dan LeFevour. Also, Tim Hiller at Western Michigan, a junior. A very underrated kid, Drew Willy, a senior at Buffalo. He'll probably be a 6-7 round pick, but I think he has a chance to make a team and develop down the road.

Ok. Even if we give Kiper credit for something--anything--then we have this: Willy is the fourth-best QB in a mediocre conference where the top QB is the sixth-best nationwide. Look, I wish the kid well, and I hope he makes something of a football career if that's what he wants, but he just isn't there.

Willy is having a great season, he is underrated as a QB in the MAC and doesn't get the hype that Davis gets, but lets be real, he is not going to be drafted. That of course doesn't mean that he won't be in someones camp or on a practice squad next season. Willy has above average numbers, but the Leftwich, Pennington, Roethlisberger types put up statistics in the MAC that Willy can't touch. Its impossible to predict anyways. Willy is having a storybook season for UB. Can't wait to see the Bulls in the coming weeks.

Also interesting...

Phil, (The Woodlands, Texas): Mel, Will injuries and not practicing on a regular basis hurt Beanie Wells in the draft?

Mel Kiper: (1:49 PM ET ) First of all, we have to see what his decision is going to be. I don't think it will effect him dramatically. Go back to the LSU game, no one caught him from the back in that game. You can see what he's meant to this OSU offense, when he's in there. Completely different offense. I don't think the injury will hurt him that much. If he comes out, he's either the top RB or the second highest rated RB. His competition are all underclassmen. Moreno, McCoy are there. And I'm going to give you a very underrated junior RB. Very underrated. James Starks at Buffalo.

Mel Kiper: (1:50 PM ET ) Naaman Roosevelt, junior WR, is also another underrated standout at Buffalo. Two guys to keep an eye on.

Nice find, Bagel! I think that effectively says, "FACE" to the miserable LV-Bills

Sometimes the incredible tangents on this board drive me up a wall. Let's mention that UB - not so long ago worst team in Division 1-A, couldn't win a road game, couldn't win a home game, talked about going back to Division III - UB won their Division last night and clinched a bowl game.

UB is going bowling!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it?????????????

Hats off to Turner Gill for trusting in his senior QB to audiblize and run a pro-style offense. If Willy gets drafted late - good on him. If he doesn't, he'll get a shot as a FA. But the story is - UB is going to a bowl game! Will wonders cease?

Sometimes the incredible tangents on this board drive me up a wall. Let's mention that UB - not so long ago worst team in Division 1-A, couldn't win a road game, couldn't win a home game, talked about going back to Division III - UB won their Division last night and clinched a bowl game.

Hats off to Turner Gill for trusting in his senior QB to audiblize and run a pro-style offense. If Willy gets drafted late - good on him. If he doesn't, he'll get a shot as a FA. But the story is - UB is going to a bowl game! Will wonders cease?

Thanks for putting this thread back on track...a great day for UB and all UB alum (especially those who braved the elements and 50 year-old wooden bleachers at the old Main Street stadium).

Well said. I'm very proud of my alma mater today. Go UB!

Anyone listen to the UB game? What a great comeback. You get the sense that the team just knows how to win.

Fantastic turnaround to a program that was a public embarrassment 4 years ago. Congrats to Turner Gill and his players for giving UB and all of Buffalo a team to be proud of. Go Bulls!

While that may be the biggest comeback and victory in UB football history, the biggest UB decision in its history will very likely be who they get to replace Gill when he undoubtably gets offered a bigger and better job. The school could easily slide backwards into oblivion again. The candidates this time around, however, should be better.

So how long before Turner Gill gets a shot a coaching a major program??? At least he got this one up and running well - I hope he leaves a legacy of strong recruiting and performance...

Perhaps the braintrust at UB could turn teh Bulls into a major program. Why stop at the MAC. Besides, Syracuse could use a viable rival that's in state. Be nice to have UB/Syracuse at the Ralph with neither a clear favorite (of course if 'Cuse keeps dropping, that reality may be true realized already).

Does anybody know who is lined up to be quarterback next season for the Bulls? I think Naaman Roosevelt and James Starks are both juniors, so the offensive weapons will still be there, but who is going to be the new field general, and can he repeat this sort of season?

They are very high on true freshmen Zach Maynard who is more of a spread offense quarterback.

That was one of the best Cuse games I have watched in a long time. Unreal...

I actually made my 8 mo. old son cry (accidentally) when I yelled so loud after they scored the TD.

As a Notre Dame, Bills, and Sabres fan, these past few weeks have been agony. But as a UB alumnus, the Bulls have been my saving grace this fall.

At the beginning of the year, if you said that by week 10 UB would be ahead of Virginia, Notre Dame, Auburn, Tennessee, Purdue, Michigan, and UCLA in the RPI, would you have believed it?

As a Notre Dame, Bills, and Sabres fan, these past few weeks have been agony. But as a UB alumnus, the Bulls have been my saving grace this fall.

At the beginning of the year, if you said that by week 10 UB would be ahead of Virginia, Notre Dame, Auburn, Tennessee, Purdue, Michigan, and UCLA in the RPI, would you have believed it?

I just checked the RPI...UB is #46! Un-bull-ievable!

• 2 weeks later...

SCOREBOARD READS: Willy 1, Davis 0.

Drew Willy will get drafted. If you didn't think so before, you will now.

Edit: ESPN Draft Expert has Willy going between 4th and 6th round. And that was before tonight's game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.