can't really believe it but ...

dave mcbride

(Sidenote: all of the AFC east teams either won or lost on essentially the last play of the game this past week.)

Records and upcoming schedules for the next three weeks, AFC east teams:

NYJ - 7-3:

@ TN (probable loss)

Denver (50/50 - Shanahan should win the coaching matchup here)

@ SF (60/40 Jets win; road wins are never automatic)

NE - 6-4:

@Miami (I think they'll lose)

PGH (65/35 chance the Pats win - Pitt is tough, but it's hard to beat NE at home)

@Seattle (night game - 65/35 Pats win; Seattle stinks, although they are at home)

Miami - 6-4:

NE (I like Miami in this one - they appear to match up well against the Pats, and Dan Henning is on a roll right now)

@STL (65/35 Miami wins; STL has some talent and is capable of scoring, but they stink right now. Still STL will be at home)

@Buffalo in Toronto (I like the Bills in this one)

Buffalo - 5-5:

@KC (65/35 Bills win; they're a better team. That said, KC is at home, desperate, and playing teams tough despite losing)

SF (the Bills should win this easily)

Miami in Toronto (65/35 Bills win; Miami isn't that good, and the location does in fact favor the Bills)

So, after 13 games, here's what I think will be likely:

Bills - 8-5

Miami - 8-5

NE - 8-5

Jets - I'm gonna say 8-5 to make it interesting. Denver in an upset.

The Bills' fate will then rest in their own hands. It'll be tough, and I think the Jets are the class of the division, but the season is far from over. Neither NE nor Miami - which barely beat Oakland - are that good either.

While that is possible, Dave, is it probable, especially knowing the tendencies of this franchise? I'd love to think so, but I've seen more of the "Same Ol' Bills" in the past 27 years than I've seen your scenario.

Still, as much as the Bills can tick me off w/ this stuff, I can't quit on 'em.

(Sidenote: all of the AFC east teams either won or lost on essentially the last play of the game this past week.)

NYJ - 7-3:

@ TN (probable loss)

NE - 6-4:

PGH (65/35 chance the Pats win - Pitt is tough, but it's hard to beat NE at home)

@Seattle (night game - 65/35 Pats win; Seattle stinks, although they are at home)

Miami - 6-4:

NE (I like Miami in this one - they appear to match up well against the Pats, and Dan Henning is on a roll right now)

@STL (65/35 Miami wins; STL has some talent and is capable of scoring, but they stink right now. Still STL will be at home)

Buffalo - 5-5:

@KC (65/35 Bills win; they're a better team. That said, KC is at home, desperate, and playing teams tough despite losing)

Miami in Toronto (65/35 Bills win; Miami isn't that good, and the location does in fact favor the Bills)

Bills - 8-5

Miami - 8-5

NE - 8-5

The Bills' fate will then rest in their own hands. It'll be tough, and I think the Jets are the class of the division, but the season is far from over. Neither NE nor Miami - which barely beat Oakland - are that good either.

Jets at worse will be 9-3 at that point no way they lose to SF but I actually believe they will be the titans first loss but even still 9-3 is their worse.

I can see NE at 7-6 at this point I donth think they are beating miami or Pitt.

If we can get our act together we have a high percentage chance of winning the next 2 Miami is a crap shoot since its in Toronto but Trent can play in a dome no wind blowing. at best 8-5 most likely 7-6

Miami has three winable games dont forget MIAMI DESTROYED NE, Stl should be a gimme and our game is a toss up so lets say for argument sake 2-1 thats 8-5

Lets recap

Jests-9-3

Miami-8-5

Buffalo 8-5 most likely 7-6 Which means we are still 3rd and if NE is 8-5 we are 4 and if NE and Buffalo are 7-6 we are still 4th

NE 7-6

Jets at worse will be 9-3 at that point no way they lose to SF but I actually believe they will be the titans first loss but even still 9-3 is their worse.

I can see NE at 7-6 at this point I donth think they are beating miami or Pitt.

If we can get our act together we have a high percentage chance of winning the next 2 Miami is a crap shoot since its in Toronto but Trent can play in a dome no wind blowing. at best 8-5 most likely 7-6

Miami has three winable games dont forget MIAMI DESTROYED NE, Stl should be a gimme and our game is a toss up so lets say for argument sake 2-1 thats 8-5

Lets recap

Jests-9-3

Miami-8-5

Buffalo 8-5 most likely 7-6 Which means we are still 3rd and if NE is 8-5 we are 4 and if NE and Buffalo are 7-6 we are still 4th

NE 7-6

The Jets are not going to beat the Titans in Tennessee.

While that is possible, Dave, is it probable, especially knowing the tendencies of this franchise? I'd love to think so, but I've seen more of the "Same Ol' Bills" in the past 27 years than I've seen your scenario.

Except for the Pats, all of these teams have "same ol'" legacies, so it's not just the Bills. And the Pats are decimated by injuries.

Those Scenarios are all banking on the Bills winning their games. Let's face it, I love Trent as much as the next Bills fan,,,but we all saw Monday night. Buffalo won't beat KC or anyone if he plays like that. Don't be fooled by Monday night. We had a great running game but that was a terrible Cleveland D. On the road, even against KC- it will be tougher to run. I'm all for optimism but they just lost 4 straight. We can't just pen them in at 8-5. Other teams like KC & SF look at Buffalo as a "must win" easy game, easy by NFL standards (i personally don't think any game is "easy" going into it).

The Jets are not going to beat the Titans in Tennessee.

What makes you so sure that the Bills can beat the 49ers? In the last two weeks, they took the Arizona Cardinals in their home, to the last play of the game (whereas the same Cards decimated us) and last week they scorched the Rams (whereas we needed a pick-6 to win).

No offense, as I want to be as positive as the next guy, but Mike Singletary has the team ready to play. More so than Dick "The Walking Dead" Jauron has with our team.

What makes you so sure that the Bills can beat the 49ers? In the last two weeks, they took the Arizona Cardinals in their home, to the last play of the game (whereas the same Cards decimated us) and last week they scorched the Rams (whereas we needed a pick-6 to win).

No offense, as I want to be as positive as the next guy, but Mike Singletary has the team ready to play. More so than Dick "The Walking Dead" Jauron has with our team.

I am quite positive they'll beat the Niners. The Niners are a bad team without a good QB. They simply aren't going to win in Buffalo in cold weather. Some things are fairly predictable. They built their team to match up against divisional opponents, just as we have. Except for a win against the hapless Lions, all of their victories are divisional wins, and all of their non-divisional losses are by two scores or more. They were also crushed at home recently (34-13) by a terrible Seahawks team.

Sadly, Dave is probably right - the division will be there for the taking after week 13. Why do I say this? Because the Bills find the absolute worst ways to rip out their fan's hearts. So they'll turn this thing around in the next 3 weeks and start to give us all hope...only to collapse at the very end of the season and miss the playoffs once again.

I was going to say about the same thing. Singletary has them playing with emotion, very intense football.

S.F. looks to be heading to a very strong finish. Wouldn't be suprised to see them beat Dallas this week.

If you're a gambler, take S.F. and the points every week.

"The Niners are a bad team without a good QB. They simply aren't going to win in Buffalo in cold weather."

The Niners might be a bad team, but they're better than Detroit, STL, KC, Oakland, Houston and Cincy, at least. There is talent on defense with 2007 Defensive Rookie of the Year LB Patrick Willis....and the return of CB Nate Clements vs. turnover-prone QB Trent Edwards is an interesting storyline. The 49ers' QB, Shaun Hill, has a 92 passer rating in three games played. Hill shouldn't be bothered by cold weather - he played at the U. of Maryland and grew up in Kansas.

"The Niners are a bad team without a good QB. They simply aren't going to win in Buffalo in cold weather."

The Niners might be a bad team, but they're better than Detroit, STL, KC, Oakland, Houston and Cincy, at least. There is talent on defense with 2007 Defensive Rookie of the Year LB Patrick Willis....and the return of CB Nate Clements vs. turnover-prone QB Trent Edwards is an interesting storyline. The 49ers' QB, Shaun Hill, has a 92 passer rating in three games played. Hill shouldn't be bothered by cold weather - he played at the U. of Maryland and grew up in Kansas.

Like all NFL teams, they have a good number of talented players, but like most bad teams, they have coaching issues, front office issues, and a whole lot of holes. Re: cold weather QBs, college and HS QBs don't play games past late November, and ACC conference games (the only ones left after mid-October) never occur in frigid conditions. So it's not as if he's ever played a game of importance in genuinely cold weather. As for QB rating, I'll remind you that Trent Edwards' rating was quite high after three games. Don't get used to it.

NYJ - 7-3:

@ TN (probable loss)

NE - 6-4:

Miami - 6-4:

Buffalo - 5-5:

Bills - 8-5

Miami - 8-5

NE - 8-5

Can we please stop these post after every loss? Seriously we are not going to the playoffs, this team has showed no signs of life to make the playoffs.....GET OVER IT WE ARE NOT GOING!

NYJ - 7-3:

@ TN (probable loss)

NE - 6-4:

Miami - 6-4:

Buffalo - 5-5:

Bills - 8-5

Miami - 8-5

NE - 8-5

I like the post. makes sense, but if history has taught us anything is that what will happen is that all the teams that need to lose for buffalo to make the playoffs will, but our beloved bills needing a win to secure a playoff spot in the season finalle will lose to NE's 4th stringers as the FG kicker for NE hits a 65 yard fg into the wind as time expires to beat us.

The most likely scenario is the rest of the season is a roller-coaster ride of winning just enough to have our fate hanging on the final game of the year. Then, of course, we will start off quickly, leading the Pats* for a few moments before letting it all fall apart, lose and push the Pats* into the playoffs instead. Remember, the football gods enjoy maximizing the torment of Bills when at all possible.

NYJ - 7-3:

@ TN (probable loss)

NE - 6-4:

Miami - 6-4:

Buffalo - 5-5:

Bills - 8-5

Miami - 8-5

NE - 8-5

It's good to have hope...As delusional as it may be...It's always good to have hope... B-)