Sully's Article Raises Questions...

VJ91

After reading a rare excellent article from Jerry Sullivan today...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/story/493112.html

...I have some questions for Perry Fewell:

1) Why does he make his defenses so complicated that the 11th player chosen out of the 2008 draft, Leodis McKelvin, doesn't have a clue where the hell to line up, half through his rookie season?

2) If he must have this complicated defense that only veteran players with high IQ's can grasp, how could the Bills not make a decent effort to sign Ty Law?

3) Why not just let McKelvin follow his instincts, run the same blitzes Youbouty was kicking ass running before he got hurt, and learn on the fly? At least he would gain experience and his speed would absolutely make up for at least some of the mistakes Fewell is so convinced he will make.

4) If he implements such an intelligent system for his pass coverages, why have his smarter and/or more experienced d-backs then McKelvin looked so stupid watching opposing receivers run wild on them during the past 3 game losing streak?

i would not be surprised to see greer on braylon like he was assigned to Moss on SNF last year. that's how the bills coaches operate. you would think it would be obvious to put your best corner on the opponent's best receiver.

imagine Moss's thoughts last year when he saw jabari greer lining up across from him insted of mcgee

i would not be surprised to see greer on braylon like he was assigned to Moss on SNF last year. that's how the bills coaches operate. you would think it would be obvious to put your best corner on the opponent's best receiver.

imagine Moss's thoughts last year when he saw jabari greer lining up across from him insted of mcgee

Greer is our best cover corner.....

I'm with you man. I think the Jauron regime is a little too cerebral. Sometimes the best thing to do is line up and knock a guy in the mouth. If your system is so complex that your players can't run it well then you need a new system. They needed a new system after the Cardinals game where the Cardinals found out, "Hey we can just sit back here and pick them apart."

that was the key turning point for me with this coach-when moss tore greer up and embarassed the bills and the community of buffalo on national tv

can you imagine what brady and belichick were thinking when they saw that greer was on moss instead of mcgee. i imagine they began thinking of whether they wanted to win by 40 or if they should push it up to 50 to rub everyone's nose in it because of the spygate flack they were taking

I don't think it's necessarily the system, but football experience/smart itself.

I'll site a couple of examples :

Edwards 2nd INT. Pat* DB has no one to cover in his zone so he puts himself to position himself to make the pick. Smart move on his part & although I would call it dumb, an error on Trent's part.

Cassle's TD run. Poz takes off for his zone, leaving him 15 yds away from Cassle's now unobstructed 10 yd path to the EZ.

Can't do that w/ a running QB.

Smart play by the Patsie* CB that I bet not too many rookies would make & what I'd consider an error on Poz's behalf (who is sorta a rookie). Doesn't seem to me that those decisions/plays were dependent on some sort of great familiarity w/ a system, just football "smarts" in general.

Catch-22 is that it's difficult to get those smarts w/o playing.

I'm with you man. I think the Jauron regime is a little too cerebral. Sometimes the best thing to do is line up and knock a guy in the mouth. If your system is so complex that your players can't run it well then you need a new system. They needed a new system after the Cardinals game where the Cardinals found out, "Hey we can just sit back here and pick them apart."

Punch, hurt, punch hurt, opponent trained. That usually works the best versus trying to be smart. Pain makes your opponents smart, smart enough not to want to be in it.

What makes you guys think the defense is super-duper complicated?

If you read the article it says that McKelvin doesn't do the "little things". That doesn't mean he doesn't understand our vanilla Tampa-2 system. It means that he has poor technique and is probably drifting and free-lancing too often. It wouldn't surprise if he has been taking chances and trying to make big plays when the staff just wants him to play off, keep everything in front of him with a 10-yard cushion, and make clean open field tackles.

If you read the article it says that McKelvin doesn't do the "little things". That doesn't mean he doesn't understand our vanilla Tampa-2 system. It means that he has poor technique and is probably drifting and free-lancing too often. It wouldn't surprise if he has been taking chances and trying to make big plays when the staff just wants him to play off, keep everything in front of him with a 10-yard cushion, and make clean open field tackles.

Right. How dare a player refuse to allow that 10 yard cushion? I'm getting sick of Perry. Really sick of him. BTW can you change your disgusting avatar, our mascot is a piece of sh-- and you should be embarrassed to have it as your avatar.

Good point. Brent Favre. Just proved your point.

After reading a rare excellent article from Jerry Sullivan today...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/story/493112.html

...I have some questions for Perry Fewell:

1) Why does he make his defenses so complicated that the 11th player chosen out of the 2008 draft, Leodis McKelvin, doesn't have a clue where the hell to line up, half through his rookie season?

2) If he must have this complicated defense that only veteran players with high IQ's can grasp, how could the Bills not make a decent effort to sign Ty Law?

3) Why not just let McKelvin follow his instincts, run the same blitzes Youbouty was kicking ass running before he got hurt, and learn on the fly? At least he would gain experience and his speed would absolutely make up for at least some of the mistakes Fewell is so convinced he will make.

4) If he implements such an intelligent system for his pass coverages, why have his smarter and/or more experienced d-backs then McKelvin looked so stupid watching opposing receivers run wild on them during the past 3 game losing streak?

Sully writes plenty of good articles.

People don't like him because he isn't a cheerleader.

Sully writes plenty of good articles.

People don't like him because he isn't a cheerleader.

I don't like him because he doesn't seem to have a grasp of football. From what I can tell, it's not a game he likes, respects or understands very well.

What makes me think this defense is too complicated? Perry Fewell himself told us that McKelvin can't grasp it, little things or big things. This coach-speak makes me sick. Going back to Gregg Williams explaining every loss and his few wins being caused by the players' mostly not or sometimes being able to perform his damn schemes. Fewell reminds me of that type of arrogant coach. Everything is always about his schemes and his players "making plays" within them.

And by the way, McKelving's smarter fellow d-backs have been doing a terrific job of keeping everything in front of them with a 10 yard cushion lately, don't you agree?? And if the Dolphins, Jets or Pats needed 15 or 20 yards, they kept everything in front of them with 15 or 20 yard cushions too. I bet Leodis could do that well himself.

Leodis isn't playing because he is illiterate. He can't speak, think, or write! This guy has so much talent but is dumb as schitt. Thats why he isn't playing.

Also, the schemes of the coaches are the most important thing to a football team. The team needs to play within those schemes to be successful. If guys are not playing within those schemes, then it would be chaos and anarchy. Instead of losing by 10 to the Patriots, we'd have lost my 100 if we don't play within the schemes.

What makes me think this defense is too complicated? Perry Fewell himself told us that McKelvin can't grasp it, little things or big things. This coach-speak makes me sick. Going back to Gregg Williams explaining every loss and his few wins being caused by the players' mostly not or sometimes being able to perform his damn schemes. Fewell reminds me of that type of arrogant coach. Everything is always about his schemes and his players "making plays" within them.

Saying that McKelvin doesn't get the defense and saying that the defense is uber-complicated are two very different things. For example, we could say that VJ91 doesn't get that "2+2=4", but that doesn't mean that most kindergartners can't grasp the concept or that it is "overly complicated". :lol:

Fewell's schemes do not seem uber-complex. No, they seem more on the simplistic side typically (as you seem to agree in the next paragraph). Last season, for example, the Bills just ran their defense no matter what the other team did and the excuse/reason was that "all of their starting defensive players were on IR" [sic]. There were a lot of injuries on defense last year, and yet the Bills were able to bring in and play rookies, converted WRs, and others on their defense without having to jettison the entire system, right?

And by the way, McKelving's smarter fellow d-backs have been doing a terrific job of keeping everything in front of them with a 10 yard cushion lately, don't you agree?? And if the Dolphins, Jets or Pats needed 15 or 20 yards, they kept everything in front of them with 15 or 20 yard cushions too. I bet Leodis could do that well himself.

Yes, I agree. I don't like seeing our secondary take super-duper deep drops, no pass rush, and huge open spaces underneath for the opponent to play pitch-and-catch and move the chains straight down the field. I think it is a piss poor, weak sister, afraid-to-let-your-players-make-plays sort of scheme.

The corollary to all this though is that, no matter what we think of Fewell's system -- whether it is easy enough that street free agents can come in with little preparation and play it, or it is ridiculously complicated with zillions of sight adjustments to the coverage per snap -- Why did the Bills essentially spend their top pick and a top pick in the draft on a guy that has so much "rookie immaturity" (their words) that he can't get on the field and provides essentially ZERO impact?? This is a team that was being billed as primed for a playoff run and yet this pick is taking on some similarity, according to Sully, of the sort of arrogance demonstrated when Donahoe picked Willis McGahee knowing that McGahee wouldn't play a down for 2 years. Compare that to the Patriots, who are getting great production and valuable minutes from guys like Green-Ellis and Guyton in addition to their top pick Mayo.

I don't like him because he doesn't seem to have a grasp of football. From what I can tell, it's not a game he likes, respects or understands very well.

"Abba-tutely".

Early in his Buffalo News career, he wrote a column explaining who he was. IIRC, he's favorite sport is college basketball and basketball in general.

I remember reading that and thinking to myself why in the world did the News hire this guy?

Buffalo does not have a NBA franchise, and the two biggest sports in Buffalo are football and hockey, neither of which is this guy's forte.

It made zero sense then, and it still makes zero sense now.

Leodis isn't playing because he is illiterate. He can't speak, think, or write! This guy has so much talent but is dumb as schitt. Thats why he isn't playing.

Also, the schemes of the coaches are the most important thing to a football team. The team needs to play within those schemes to be successful. If guys are not playing within those schemes, then it would be chaos and anarchy. Instead of losing by 10 to the Patriots, we'd have lost my 100 if we don't play within the schemes.

Wonderlic scores:

Leodis McKelvin - 13

Jim Kelly - 15 ( maybe they should call him dumbo instead of jimbo)

As subhuman as McKelvin's and Kelly's wonderlic scores are, there are worse in the NFL.

And Jim Kelly is a HOF QB!

What it clearly demonstrates is that football is certainly not a game that requires any intelligence whatsoever.

Wonderlic scores:

Leodis McKelvin - 13

Jim Kelly - 15 ( maybe they should call him dumbo instead of jimbo)

As subhuman as McKelvin's and Kelly's wonderlic scores are, there are worse in the NFL.

And Jim Kelly is a HOF QB!

What it clearly demonstrates is that football is certainly not a game that requires any intelligence whatsoever.

Not sure if your data is correct but those numbers fly in the face of Marv's "smart players learn to get better" mentality.

Not sure if your data is correct but those numbers fly in the face of Marv's "smart players learn to get better" mentality.

Those scores are correct according to numerous sources.

Do those scores suprise you?

No me.

Jim Kelly always struck me as being below average in intelligence.

But as I said football isn't chess or anything close to it.

If a player knows how to tie his own shoes he pretty much has the intelligence to play football.

I'm skeptical about the Kelly number but anyway he was already here when Levy took over.

This quote from McKelvin really makes me wonder about him. :lol:

“I’m not disappointed,” McKelvin said Wednesday. “People can say they’re disappointed, but in my mind, the other two corners are playing good. Why rush me in there to play?”

He could be playing nice, and trying not to say anything that might come across as being overly cocky.

With some fans, players are in a no-win situation. Say something nice and team oriented, and they are pissed that you sound like a puss who doesn't care. Say what you really think, and they call you are a mouthy douche.

With some fans, players are in a no-win situation. Say something nice and team oriented, and they are pissed that you sound like a puss who doesn't care. Say what you really think, and they call you are a mouthy douche.

What's wrong with saying, "Sure, I want to play and I'm not happy to sit on the bench. I want to play. Still, the guys that are playing are doing a great job. They're kicking ass and taking names." ? What he said comes across as "I don't give a damn if I play or not. It doesn't matter anyway because the other guys are doing OK."

What's wrong with saying, "Sure, I want to play and I'm not happy to sit on the bench. I want to play. Still, the guys that are playing are doing a great job. They're kicking ass and taking names." ? What he said comes across as "I don't give a damn if I play or not. It doesn't matter anyway because the other guys are doing OK."

I'll admit that his remark is easy to construe in the manner that you suggest, but I seriously doubt that he meant it that way. My guess is, he just isn't well spoken enough (and probably didn't think about it enough) to phrase it as perfectly as you did.

I just want to see the guy play well, for the Bills, in the long term. His returning is getting better, and when he was forced into the starting role (with little preparation, as he had seen very little CB action before that, this season), he looked OK, for a rookie in his first start. While he isn't wowing us at the moment, I'd say he doesn't look like a bust, to me, so far. I think he will be just fine in the CB, and return game, roles.

Stuff like that remark just rolls off my back. It is much ado about nothing, IMO.

He could be playing nice, and trying not to say anything that might come across as being overly cocky.

IMO, he should've said something to the effect of "I'm trying really hard and I feel my grasp of the gameplan is improving and my coverage abilities are improving. We have great guys ahead of me and so it's a tough nut to crack but I'm hoping I can contribute a lot more to the team."

But as Deano pointed out he's probably not an orator.

I'll admit that his remark is easy to construe in the manner that you suggest, but I seriously doubt that he meant it that way. My guess is, he just isn't well spoken enough (and probably didn't think about it enough) to phrase it as perfectly as you did.

I just want to see the guy play well, for the Bills, in the long term. His returning is getting better, and when he was forced into the starting role (with little preparation, as he had seen very little CB action before that, this season), he looked OK, for a rookie in his first start. While he isn't wowing us at the moment, I'd say he doesn't look like a bust, to me, so far. I think he will be just fine in the CB, and return game, roles.

Stuff like that remark just rolls off my back. It is much ado about nothing, IMO.

Deano, personally, I agree that it is way too early to call McKelvin a bust (and I never have). Sully's article was clearly critical of the pick and makes some interesting points. Sully could've mentioned that 3 of the next 4 picks after McKelvin are playing significant minutes or starting for their respective teams and that the 2nd CB taken plays in his team's nickel package and has made 2 picks this year. I don't think even Sully was saying McKelvin is a bust; he was really more saying that McKelvin hasn't had much impact in his rookie year, which could be considered a disappointment since the Bills defense stunk big time last year. I think the choice of quote may not be merely so coincidental or haphazard. The tone of the article suggests that Sully isn't terribly impressed with the kid and the quote does and is intended to support that impression. Like him or not, Sully is a professional at his craft too.

Yeah, Fewell sucks as a DC. So much for his bend, but don't break defensive philosophy. I've been subjected to 9 minute 90 yard TD drives by the opposition.

This is Jauron's philosophy. Fewell carries it out. It is Jauron that is dictating chicken shyt football on both offense and defense. It is the Jauron way. Caution, safety, avoid risk, manage the game, hope (pray) to win.

Deano, personally, I agree that it is way too early to call McKelvin a bust (and I never have). Sully's article was clearly critical of the pick and makes some interesting points. Sully could've mentioned that 3 of the next 4 picks after McKelvin are playing significant minutes or starting for their respective teams and that the 2nd CB taken plays in his team's nickel package and has made 2 picks this year. I don't think even Sully was saying McKelvin is a bust; he was really more saying that McKelvin hasn't had much impact in his rookie year, which could be considered a disappointment since the Bills defense stunk big time last year. I think the choice of quote may not be merely so coincidental or haphazard. The tone of the article suggests that Sully isn't terribly impressed with the kid and the quote does and is intended to support that impression. Like him or not, Sully is a professional at his craft too.

But, as I have stated in the past, Sully doesn't quite get football. If he REALLY wanted to examine the reasons why McKelvin wasn't an immediate contributor at CB (he has been fine, for a rookie, as a KR), he needs to discuss the emergence, this off season, of Youboty and the presence (during TC and preseason) of veteren Will James. The coaches likely were not preparing McKelvin as if he was going to be starting as a rookie, as they probably would have had Youboty not stepped up. There are only so many reps to go around, so much coaching available, so many snaps to play in preseason, etc. If the Bills were concentrating on preparing their best CBs for the season, it is likely Leodis got a little big of a short shrift, compared to most 1st round players.

When things looked good in the defensive backfield, it could even be said that it was a great sign that McKelvin wasn't on the field. The team was good enough to not need instant contributions from a rookie. Of course, the injuries changed all that, unfortunately.

I agree with Sully on a one thing. I too am disappointed McKelvin hasn't seen more time at CB the past few weeks, too. But, unlike Sully, I understand that the reason could be something other than simply minded (but more controversial sounding) than a lack of "trust" when it comes to Leodis.

"True, but when the Bills came out in their nickel package Sunday against the Patriots, Corner was on the outside and McKelvin was on the bench. The coaches apparently had more trust in Corner to play McKelvin’s natural position."

Might the coaches have seen something that has made them wary of McKelvin's ability in the role of outside CB? Of course, but there are other possibilities, as well. The loss of Whitner really changes the dynamic of that defense, particularly the DBs. With all the adjustments the Bills have made (Simpson out, Scott in, Simpson back in and Scott, too, etc), they may be looking for a package that meshes well together, and they may have found that during practice, that week, Corner meshed better with the two DBs (who also may have been playing out of position). The point is, it is hard to come to an informed diagnosis, when there are so many different things going on at the same time...especially when we are talking about rookies.

But, Sully seemingly doesn't care about providing informed diagnosis. He operates more like a radio talk show host, maximum controversy, minimal analysis. There are ways to find out the reasoning behind the Bills move, especially for a writer that travels with the team. Yet, Sully has very few exclusive interviews, or inside sources on the team, it seems. That is probably due to the fact that he can't be trusted to present the information correctly or fairly. Teams (at least most coaches and GMs) understand that a columnist may well be critical of the team, particularly when the team is not performing well. But, they don't take well to ill-informed writers misconstruing statements and/or purposefully manipulating circumstances to write a more controversial (and perhaps entertaining, to some) article.

So, there are some good things in that article, but so much left out, you wonder if he has even thought it through. This is evident in his call for the Bills to sign Ty Law (something I thought of, as well). Well, if you sign Ty Law, then the development of Leodis will be even slower, don't you think? If Ty comes, he will get the reps in practice and the attention of the coaches to get him up to speed to play on Sunday in this D.

Yes, there are rookie CBs who have been playing quite a bit, this year. From what I have seen, they were getting chewed up pretty good (while also making some plays) for the early part of the year. Leodis hasn't played, so when he does, he is likely to get a little chewed up...and also make some plays. I think with the return of Whitner, to cover for some of the mistakes and such, they will (and should) get Leodis on the field more, and let him get his early learning days out of the way, this year.

This is Jauron's philosophy. Fewell carries it out. It is Jauron that is dictating chicken shyt football on both offense and defense. It is the Jauron way. Caution, safety, avoid risk, manage the game, hope (pray) to win.

That's one way to put it. Unfortunately, DJ's influence extends far from the field of play in this organization. He has definitely had a great deal of input on which players this team acquires. I don't believe it's a coincidence that the 06 draft featured all defense, minus three late OL. Overall, Buffalo selected 7 DB's out of 26 picks.

If you think it's only his coaching that is suspect, you're selling yourself short.

Yeah, they all need to grow some balls.

I think we learn a lot about this coaching staff tonight. Bills are at home against a weak opponent (record-wise). They have struggled to score points and to get pressure on the opposing QB. A win tonight keeps them in the playoff hunt. A loss puts them on the outside looking in. What they've done on both sides of the ball in recent weeks isn't working well.

You would think that tonight playing in a crucial game at home against a weaker opponent (with a very young QB) that the coaches will be more willing to blitz more on defense and make some calls on offense that keep the Browns defense guessing. Run from the shotgun. More play action. Throw it at times when it looks like you might run and run when it looks like you might pass.

It would seem to me that this is a game where you try to put more pressure on the other team. We'll see.

Saying that McKelvin doesn't get the defense and saying that the defense is uber-complicated are two very different things. For example, we could say that VJ91 doesn't get that "2+2=4", but that doesn't mean that most kindergartners can't grasp the concept or that it is "overly complicated". :unsure:

Fewell's schemes do not seem uber-complex. No, they seem more on the simplistic side typically (as you seem to agree in the next paragraph). Last season, for example, the Bills just ran their defense no matter what the other team did and the excuse/reason was that "all of their starting defensive players were on IR" [sic]. There were a lot of injuries on defense last year, and yet the Bills were able to bring in and play rookies, converted WRs, and others on their defense without having to jettison the entire system, right?

Yes, I agree. I don't like seeing our secondary take super-duper deep drops, no pass rush, and huge open spaces underneath for the opponent to play pitch-and-catch and move the chains straight down the field. I think it is a piss poor, weak sister, afraid-to-let-your-players-make-plays sort of scheme.

The corollary to all this though is that, no matter what we think of Fewell's system -- whether it is easy enough that street free agents can come in with little preparation and play it, or it is ridiculously complicated with zillions of sight adjustments to the coverage per snap -- Why did the Bills essentially spend their top pick and a top pick in the draft on a guy that has so much "rookie immaturity" (their words) that he can't get on the field and provides essentially ZERO impact?? This is a team that was being billed as primed for a playoff run and yet this pick is taking on some similarity, according to Sully, of the sort of arrogance demonstrated when Donahoe picked Willis McGahee knowing that McGahee wouldn't play a down for 2 years. Compare that to the Patriots, who are getting great production and valuable minutes from guys like Green-Ellis and Guyton in addition to their top pick Mayo.

Its hard work to back off wr's 10 yards and not rush the qb at the same time...Not many teams accomplish this and win many games..To be 5-4 with the way they coach there offense and defense is the most amazing thing I have seen this year..