Rick Azar

Rick Azar began his career in a national Broadway acting company ? Drama coach and concert violinist ? Rick Azar ?

Next I'll find out that Art Wander worked on the Manhattan Project.

Whatever happened to Chuck Healy (young uns scratching their heads, old guys getting flashbacks)

First sportcaster I actually remember, always on WBEN old guy back then, would have to be 100 if he was still alive.

Whatever happened to Chuck Healy (young uns scratching their heads, old guys getting flashbacks)

First sportcaster I actually remember, always on WBEN old guy back then, would have to be 100 if he was still alive.

Now there is an old school guy. He is up there with the angels certainly.

Rick Azar began his career in a national Broadway acting company ? Drama coach and concert violinist ? Rick Azar ?

Next I'll find out that Art Wander worked on the Manhattan Project.

Yeah, my mother and her family were friends with Rick and his family.........So, my mother and grandmother flew out to Gary, Indiana to watch Rick in a play when he was just getting started. Turned out to be a dirty play and my mother was embarressed to be watching it with my grandmother!

• 4 months later...

One day I was having something to eat at, the now defunct, Pizza John's (on Lovejoy). I got up from my table, and went to the bar for some reason, and I was mid-way down the length of the bar. There was a TV on each end of the bar, with a football game on. The guy next to me had his back to me, and was watching the game.

After a few seconds, the guy says to me "Who's that QB?"

"John Elway*", I reply.

"Well, who's playing here?"

"Denver and San Diego*", I say.

"Thanks"

Then, I look at the guy and notice, it's Rick Azar, I wanted to say, "I'm sorry, I thought you were Rick Azar."...but, I didn't.

Thinking about that still cracks me up. Why didn't Azar know who was playing, and who John Elway was?

(* Elway and teams are demonstrative. I don't remember, now, who was playing at the time.)

One day I was having something to eat at, the now defunct, Pizza John's (on Lovejoy). I got up from my table, and went to the bar for some reason, and I was mid-way down the length of the bar. There was a TV on each end of the bar, with a football game on. The guy next to me had his back to me, and was watching the game.

"John Elway*", I reply.

"Thanks"

Then, I look at the guy and notice, it's Rick Azar, I wanted to say, "I'm sorry, I thought you were Rick Azar."...but, I didn't.

Thinking about that still cracks me up. Why didn't Azar know who was playing, and who John Elway was?

(* Elway and teams are demonstrative. I don't remember, now, who was playing at the time.)

:thumbsup:

A perfect example of Rev. James Van Dyke's adage, "To build a school on Kenmore Avenue is to build no school at all."

"John Elway*", I reply.

"Thanks"

The only fact questioned in this scenario was your presence at the bar ... we all thought you never frequent such places :thumbsup::w00t::devil:

Here's a random Rick Azar story. When the movie "Sophie's Choice" came out in 1982 I went to see it with my parents. We were in a theater in Amherst and as we made our way to our seats I noticed Rick Azar sitting right behind us.

If you've seen that movie (and I've never watched it again) you know it has a gut wrenching, heart-breaking ending. As the credits rolled many women in the audience were crying. I stood up and turned to see Rick wiping a tear from his eye.

"Heavy movie, heavy, heavy movie," he said to no one in particular.

And that's my brush with fame Rick Azar story. :(

Me too! To me, he was always the epitome of what I thought of as a kid, as an American. He looked kind of like an older John Wayne IIRC. For all I know though, maybe he was no more than a real life Ted Baxter! He always sat at that desk, with the half globe behind him... good memories...

I honeslty thought that Rick Azar had passed away. Glad to hear he is still around, and doing things...