JIM KELLY WANTS TO BUY THE BILLS

fitnbills

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

With the family of the only owner in Bills history already making it known that they won’t keep the team after Ralph Wilson (now 90 years old) passes on, Peter King of NBC reports that Buffalo Hall of Famer quarterback Jim Kelly is trying to put a group together that would buy the team.

It’s unclear whether Kelly’s group would purchase the franchise in the short term, or whether the deal would wait until Mr. Wilson is playing pinochle with former U.S. President Woodrow Wilson.

Kelly’s goal is to keep the team in Western New York permanently. Whether that means playing one or two (or four) games each year in Toronto remains to be seen.

Its been known for some time that Kelly would like to put together an owners group for the team, the question really is how feasible that would be. You'd need to gather up something on the order of $700 million, and the NFL isn't going to allow that to come from 30 investors (they'd like a single owner bt may allow a group of a handful of people). Unfortunatley, the area is somewhat short on billionaires, so Kelly hs his work cut out for him.

I heard Jimbo talking about the Bills future, and Toronto, and mentionong that the team needs a new stadium. If it were up to him, he said, he would put a new stadium in Niagra Falls, to tap the Canadian market (it would cut about 45 minutes off of their drive time for a game), and keep the Bills in WNY. Of course, he isists, they would still be called the Buffalo Bills.

Its been known for some time that Kelly would like to put together an owners group for the team, the question really is how feasible that would be. You'd need to gather up something on the order of $700 million, and the NFL isn't going to allow that to come from 30 investors (they'd like a single owner bt may allow a group of a handful of people). Unfortunatley, the area is somewhat short on billionaires, so Kelly hs his work cut out for him.

jacobs,rich or golisano........those r the western new york billionaires. but maybe he has people from outside the area.

who says millionaire/billionaire investors have to be from WNY ??

Ouch.

Actually, this was mentioned on the pregame for tonight's game. The interesting thing is that it was segued into by Bob Costas prompting Peter King with, "there is some serious issues currently going on with the Bills ownership, Peter?" (Of course, this was a paraphrase, but they made it sound like it was something hot, new and current. King led off with a "Yes, Bob, owner Ralph Wilson wants to sell the team and Jim Kelly talked to me and told me he is currently putting a group together to buy the Bills."

At first, I was kind of excited, but then realized that this has happened before when Jim gets fired up and then Ralph quickly shoots the whole thing down. So I decided not to post what I heard. It would be a major change in attitude for Ralph, and a welcome one as far as I'm concerned. But I have a feeling that Jim is probably trying to build some momentum for it in the hopes Ralph will give up his prize toy before he checks out from hotel earth.

Actually, this was mentioned on the pregame for tonight's game. The interesting thing is that it was segued into by Bob Costas prompting Peter King with, "there is some serious issues currently going on with the Bills ownership, Peter?" (Of course, this was a paraphrase, but they made it sound like it was something hot, new and current. King led off with a "Yes, Bob, owner Ralph Wilson wants to sell the team and Jim Kelly talked to me and told me he is currently putting a group together to buy the Bills."

At first, I was kind of excited, but then realized that this has happened before when Jim gets fired up and then Ralph quickly shoots the whole thing down. So I decided not to post what I heard. It would be a major change in attitude for Ralph, and a welcome one as far as I'm concerned. But I have a feeling that Jim is probably trying to build some momentum for it in the hopes Ralph will give up his prize toy before he checks out from hotel earth.

You never know. Wilson seems like the chicken little type when it comes to finances. Maybe the current economic times have scared Ralph into getting serious about selling. Add the prospect of taxes being raised on capital gains for millionaires, and it kind of makes sense. A 10% increase in capital gains could mean $70-80m.

who says millionaire/billionaire investors have to be from WNY ??

They don't have to be from WNY, but honestly, if they aren't, do you have any faith that the team stays in WNY for the long term?

If you aren't buying the team because you want to invest in WNY I think eventually you get lured by the greener pastures elsewhere - it makes business sense to move to a bigger market.

They don't have to be from WNY, but honestly, if they aren't, do you have any faith that the team stays in WNY for the long term?

If you aren't buying the team because you want to invest in WNY I think eventually you get lured by the greener pastures elsewhere - it makes business sense to move to a bigger market.

He would be a member of a group led by Jim Kelly. I HIGHLY doubt kelly would ruin his legacy and let the team go.

He would be a member of a group led by Jim Kelly. I HIGHLY doubt kelly would ruin his legacy and let the team go.

Doesn't matter one bit. They guy(s) with the money would be calling the shots. Jimbo's a great guy, but its not his coin. He can stamp his feet all he wants, but if the billionaires he assembles decide a play like L.A. is better of them they could easily make that decision.

Doesn't matter one bit. They guy(s) with the money would be calling the shots. Jimbo's a great guy, but its not his coin. He can stamp his feet all he wants, but if the billionaires he assembles decide a play like L.A. is better of them they could easily make that decision.

What you're failing to get is that JIMBO is getting the group together to keep the Bills in Buffalo. He's nto picking up random Millionares, there is already a demand to buy the Bills and move them, JIMBO is getting people with money who will keep the Bills in Buffalo. I don't understand how you're overlooking this.

Hey thats a good idea!! ^^^^^^ But I doubt it will float in NYC :angry:

I hope Mr. Kelly can get old Raphie to give someone else a chance before he checks out. Maybe with the economy, the election and the promise of more taxes and Mr. Rodgers being put in the hospital this week is changing his gears a bit. Or maybe Jimbo got the plan more together and presented it to Ralph again.

I heard Jimbo talking about the Bills future, and Toronto, and mentionong that the team needs a new stadium. If it were up to him, he said, he would put a new stadium in Niagra Falls, to tap the Canadian market (it would cut about 45 minutes off of their drive time for a game), and keep the Bills in WNY. Of course, he isists, they would still be called the Buffalo Bills.

This is so stupid. I'm not against a stadium in NF or anything, but how in the fugg does it shave off 45 minutes off of their trip? I stay in Canada sometimes and make it to the stadium in like 25 minutes. Just like today.

25 minutes from NF to Buffalo isn't stopping hordes of Canadians from coming to OP for a football game.