Marshawn Lynch or the OL

Willis990

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is to blame for the inept running game? His best game is 83 yards-- a 1st rounder should have the ability to get 100 yards once in a while

up until the bye week i would have to blame the o-line. now both are playing well, but fast freddy has taken a bunch of carries away from marsahwn

Both Lynch and the O-line are to blame. The truth is the offensive line's inconsistency hurts the overall run game. Lynch is an extremely talented athlete, but he dances too much before going to the hole. Sure, he works hard and fights for those tough yards, but Lynch needs to do more north to south running to help out the line.

His talent occasionally surpasses his running style. This is why you'll see Lynch in a game have four or five bad running plays and then burst for an incredible play. The offensive line and Lynch both have some Jekyl and Hyde in them.

Nightcrawler

I saw signs of it last year. I'd say Lynch is 75% of the reason, the O-line 25%. Some holes are there. Lynch needs to be more north-south. He tries to improvise too much and thinks he can out juke NFL defenders. He's great inside the ten, will get some tough yards and carry guys but too much spinning his wheels. you see Freddie hit the seam and get his 5-7 yards,,,no wasted steps and rarely loses yardage.

Both Lynch and the O-line are to blame. The truth is the offensive line's inconsistency hurts the overall run game. Lynch is an extremely talented athlete, but he dances too much before going to the hole. Sure, he works hard and fights for those tough yards, but Lynch needs to do more north to south running to help out the line.

His talent occasionally surpasses his running style. This is why you'll see Lynch in a game have four or five bad running plays and then burst for an incredible play. The offensive line and Lynch both have some Jekyl and Hyde in them.

Nightcrawler

I've said before that the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the OL. I don't think he dances too much before he hits the line, but can you blame him if he does? The line has played horribly in the 1st six games, and I think it might have changed the way Marshawn hits the hole. He might be so worried about not getting hit behind the line that when holes do open up, he uses the same style of running he used when he had an LB and a DT in front of him behind the line of scrimmage. Nothing a good week of game film and coaching can't correct.

But as I said, I don't think he dances too much; I think he hits the line hard. There were maybe 2 plays (out of 13 carries) where I thought he was hesistant, and I firmly believe it was because of the above theory. But hey, just a theory and my 2 cents.

The OL is 99% to blame. They are the biggest mass of men in the NFL and they simply can't run-block worth a damn.

Look at Lynch's YAC (Yards after Contact). He ALWAYS gets hit even before he gets to the line of scimmage. He runs for his life, and if I were him, I would look at other teams when he becomes a free agent. If I were a RB, I would not want to play for Buffalo...and weather has nothing to do with it!

WHY? There is NO push and NO drive from the largest line in the NFL. Their run blocking is TERRIBLE

Lynch and Co. have to earn every yard they run. Look at his touchdown run last Sunday. It should have been a 2 yeard loss, but lynch turned nothing into a touchedown...with no help from the O-Line.

BTW...where have you gone Jason Peters? Ever since you held out, why is it that YOU are giving up most of all of the opponent's defensive big plays?

Its not Marshawn. He isnt going to make the perfect read every play just as the O-line isnt going to make perfect blocks every time. But you can't fault Marshawn for trying to make something out of nothing by dancing. I would say that There was one good hole for him to run through yesterday and he took it for 19. If we could get 50% of that hole more often we would see Jackson and Marshawn getting over 100.

Personally I dont care if it takes 2 3 or 4 backs to get us over 100 yards as long as we can run the ball. Just as long as they give it to Marshawn gets the goal line carries

Who is to blame for the inept running game? His best game is 83 yards-- a 1st rounder should have the ability to get 100 yards once in a while

Well, it must be Lynch. Peters just declared himself as good as he was last year. I believe him, because there is no reason for him to be in denial. Especially since he is already in denial about doing the right thing by holding out. Then, there is that renegotiation of his contract looming. Jauron, who never calls out an active player, is not going to say different, and we have no "prima donnas" on the team that would point the finger at him.

So the bottom line is we should get rid of Lynch and Jackson. Maybe Willis would like to return, since he is not doing well in Baltimore and he doesn't spend the off-season training there. Must be the restaurants and women in Baltimore that are not good enough for him.

Remember when Shaun Alexander was "all world" running back at Seattle? His Pro Bowl guard went to Minnesota and his running stats went south. Even an elite running back cannot crank out 100 yard games if he doesn't have holes to run through. Pay close attention to those end zone shots of our running plays. You'll see that to gain yards, our runners have to squeeze between our own guys then drag defenders for a few yards. Fred sometimes can make himself "small" enough to do it. Marshawn bulls into the crowd and still manages to fall forward almost every time. These guys should sue the O-line for lack of support.

I've said before that the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the OL. I don't think he dances too much before he hits the line, but can you blame him if he does? The line has played horribly in the 1st six games, and I think it might have changed the way Marshawn hits the hole. He might be so worried about not getting hit behind the line that when holes do open up, he uses the same style of running he used when he had an LB and a DT in front of him behind the line of scrimmage. Nothing a good week of game film and coaching can't correct.

But as I said, I don't think he dances too much; I think he hits the line hard. There were maybe 2 plays (out of 13 carries) where I thought he was hesistant, and I firmly believe it was because of the above theory. But hey, just a theory and my 2 cents.

Agreed. Commentators always make a point out of telling viewers that Buffalo's OL is the tallest and heaviest in the league. You wouldn't know it by the way they continually bunch up and fall down like bowling pins. I'm sure Lynch has missed some holes, but by the same token, the OL isn't opening a helluva lot of 'em for him to miss.

If the o-line wa so good maybe the Bills would have punched it in from the one instead of settling for a field goal. If the o-line was so good maybe Edwards wouldn't have had to desperately reach out for a first down only to have the ball slapped away and go over to the Dolphins. The o-line is good for the most part with pass protection but the run blocking, especially those dreaded runs up the middle are well, dreadful...

I'm no football expert but Freddy Jackson seems as if he's been the better back this season on 1st and 2nd downs. Marshawn is money when the Bills are within 10 yards of the end zone but he seems to struggle for yards on 1st and 10. Freddy ALWAYS makes the first guy miss and I think that's why he'd be better in early down situations.

I recently heard Lindy Ruff commenting on the evolution of Thomas Vanek, and it kind of reminded me of Marshawn. Lindy was saying that once Vanek learned to move without a lot of wasted motion, he was a much more effective player...

I love Marshawn, and I used to get pissed at the suggestion that Freddie was somehow better than Marshawn. However, I am starting to think, sometimes, Freddie just gets more yards (behind the same crummy run blocking line) because he is just a little more fluid than Marshawn. I know, Marshawn runs hard, but sometimes, it seems like he runs a little "too hard" and makes one too many moves.

Believe me, I am in no way in favor of Lynch being demoted, but I have been sort of amazed by how few chunk yardage plays he has come up with. Granted, he ran as well against the Dolphins as he has all year, but Freddie seems to have few problems runnnig up the middle for 6 or 7 yards on a fairly consistant basis...it is just a mystery.