Some observations about Edwards' passing stats

eball

On the list of top ten QBs to date (by passer rating), Trent is tied at #4 with Aaron Rodgers (98.8).

One stat that immediately jumps out at me is the lack of TDs (5), when compared to Rivers (16), Romo (14), Warner (12), Rodgers (12), and Brees (12).

While that stat might lead one to believe Edwards is compiling statistics via a "pop gun" short yardage passing game, another statistic belies that notion -- yards per pass play. Edwards ranks 5th in that category at 8.0 -- a great number for a QB.

Combined with a 2nd-best completion percentage of 69.7, it is clear that the passing offense under Edwards is extraordinarily productive. Credit obviously goes to Schonert and the receivers as well.

I believe we'll see the TD numbers start to increase more significantly in the weeks to come.

(FWIW, Chad Pennington has put up remarkably similar stats for Miami so far -- 8th in rating, 4th in comp. %, 8.1 YPP, and 6 TDs -- so the Bills had better be prepared)

Good morning fellow addict.

It's too early to look it up before saying, "hi", but what's their overall TD production like?

Are we looking at a persistent Red Zone run type of mentality, or is the the D/ST doing a high percentage of scoring?

I know we've scored a bunch of 6's.

Aw, Hell. I'm off to the stat pages once I hit "Add Reply".

Ah hah!

We're tied for 7th in rushing TDs with 7, but we're tied for 17th in receiving TDs with 7.

We're tied at 13 in total TDs with 16.

I like the balance, but I'd like to se a whole bunch more 6s piled up.

This Sunday would be a great place to start.

TD passes-this is another reason I hate just about every QB statistic! Too much fantasy football thinking & not enough real football thinking. A guy at work who plays fantasy football asked me to rate QBs that were available last week, this is what I said: Edwards is head & shoulders better than the rest of these guys but the Bills like to run near the goal line, so he doesn't get as many touchdowns as the guys whose teams throw down there. As long as the Bills are scoring touchdowns in the red zone, TD passes are irrelevant.

TD passes-this is another reason I hate just about every QB statistic! Too much fantasy football thinking & not enough real football thinking. A guy at work who plays fantasy football asked me to rate QBs that were available last week, this is what I said: Edwards is head & shoulders better than the rest of these guys but the Bills like to run near the goal line, so he doesn't get as many touchdowns as the guys whose teams throw down there. As long as the Bills are scoring touchdowns in the red zone, TD passes are irrelevant.

I dunno about "liking to run near the goal line". How long was Evans' touchdown last week? 2 yards.

Most of Marshawn's runs, IIRC, are of the 10+ yard variety.

edit: i was wrong, he had a nine yarder and a three yarder.

i agree, i remember when drew bledsoe really was great (in ne) he had mad yardage and so on, but didn't have many td passes. this idiot named wys who honestly was the worst football guy ever said that too many yards per td pass was a bad thing. the thing is all that counts is TEAM offense. if you control the clock, score points, get 1st downs, dont' turn the ball over, and score points, you have an awesome passing game.

a bad pass on 3rd down is as bad as a deep int, and the threat of a pass opening up your run game is as good or better than a passing td.

stats guys -- what are our trip to the red zone numbers?

On the list of top ten QBs to date (by passer rating), Trent is tied at #4 with Aaron Rodgers (98.8).

One stat that immediately jumps out at me is the lack of TDs (5), when compared to Rivers (16), Romo (14), Warner (12), Rodgers (12), and Brees (12).

While that stat might lead one to believe Edwards is compiling statistics via a "pop gun" short yardage passing game, another statistic belies that notion -- yards per pass play. Edwards ranks 5th in that category at 8.0 -- a great number for a QB.

Combined with a 2nd-best completion percentage of 69.7, it is clear that the passing offense under Edwards is extraordinarily productive. Credit obviously goes to Schonert and the receivers as well.

I believe we'll see the TD numbers start to increase more significantly in the weeks to come.

(FWIW, Chad Pennington has put up remarkably similar stats for Miami so far -- 8th in rating, 4th in comp. %, 8.1 YPP, and 6 TDs -- so the Bills had better be prepared)

Matt Cassell has 86.78 rating and 6 TD's

Ah hah!

We're tied for 7th in rushing TDs with 7, but we're tied for 17th in receiving TDs with 7.

We're tied at 13 in total TDs with 16.

I like the balance, but I'd like to se a whole bunch more 6s piled up.

This Sunday would be a great place to start.

Guys, this got me thinking; how many offensive TDs did we have last year?

Wasn't an all time low for the Bills, like 16 or 17?

One reason why so many short passes are part of our offense, is that Evans is still the lone threat to go deep. I don't know if Hardy will evolve into the solution, but right now, he is a non-factor. So the Bills are doing what they are capable of doing until Hardy (or someone else) becomes that second consistent downfield threat.

Pennington is doing what he always does. He is not exciting, but keeps a team competitive.

This is a key stat, IMO. The great QB's are great red zone QB's--i.e., able to make quick decisions and sharp throws in tight spaces, as is required when you're inside the 10.

In Edwards case, it might be less of the fact that he's unable to make those plays, and more of an indication of the Bills' playcalling.

Troy Aikman 's career high was 23 TD passes in one season. That was the only time in his entire career that he ever broke the 20 TD mark. His 2nd highest total was 19.

Obviously, I'd rather see Edwards throwing 30 TD passes per season, but the point is, its not everything.

Trent scores the BIlls touchdowns, which pleases me. I also feel that Trent could throw on 99% of the plays and we could still win games. Maybe if we played the Lions D more often we could pile up stats like Rodgers. The Bills also score using all of their assets, not just their QB.

This is a key stat, IMO. The great QB's are great red zone QB's--i.e., able to make quick decisions and sharp throws in tight spaces, as is required when you're inside the 10.

In Edwards case, it might be less of the fact that he's unable to make those plays, and more of an indication of the Bills' playcalling.

A good to great tight end helps. Look at teams that throw to the TE in the red zone, then look at our sorry group.