Brady's knee is infected

Rubes

Brady has second surgery to clear infection in knee

This is the kind of stuff I see all the time. Not good for him. Some athletes have had serious problems when their surgically repaired knees became infected afterward. These types of infections can be nothing, or they can be seriously difficult to treat. The fact that he needed a second surgery to clean out the infection speaks strongly to it being more than just a simple post-surgical infection, though...

Does anyone know why he would wait a month after the injury to have surgery? It was already up in the air whether he'd be ready for the opener next year, wouldn't that just delay the process another month?

He had a MCL tear in addition to the ACL, and they usually give it 4-6 weeks to heal before surgery.

Same thing just happened to a friend of mine. Her knee surgery became infected and they did a second surgery.

Lots of antibotics too. But because of the infection a lot of scar tissue formed and they had to put her under again to break that up. No surgery for that but they have to keep working the knee.

Peyton Manning needed two surgeries to clean up his knee infection. I don't believe PM presented with the need for reconstructive surgery - somehow his bursa became infected - so the initial circumstances are different. Post-ortho surgeries can be a real B word. However, I wonder if Tom Terrific ordered his second procedure because PM had announced that he had two surgeries. You know, he can't fall behind PM in any stat! :thumbsup:

Does anyone know why he would wait a month after the injury to have surgery? It was already up in the air whether he'd be ready for the opener next year, wouldn't that just delay the process another month?

They usually wait for the swelling to go down before operating.

They usually wait for the swelling to go down before operating.

It usually takes several days or weeks for an infection to take hold and start brooding.

You're right, the swelling from initial surgical trauma can mask the pain and swelling of a deep infection.

Peyton Manning needed two surgeries to clean up his knee infection. I don't believe PM presented with the need for reconstructive surgery - somehow his bursa became infected - so the initial circumstances are different. Post-ortho surgeries can be a real B word. However, I wonder if Tom Terrific ordered his second procedure because PM had announced that he had two surgeries. You know, he can't fall behind PM in any stat! :thumbsup:

Totally different. Brady had ACL/MCL. Manning had his sac removed. You can see it in the way he's playing.

Totally different. Brady had ACL/MCL. Manning had his sac removed. You can see it in the way he's playing.

Yes, Crayonz. I was trying to keep it clean. This is after all, a family-friendly board. :thumbsup:

A keen observation there on your part, however.