Has anyone....

I both studied and worked abroad in London. I spent a semester there and then after I graduated I worked for a law office through a work exchange program.

Bring electrical outlet converters! Bring lots and lots of money since the dollar is so weak (try to get a job under the table working in a pub so you can ear the domestic currency and you will meet all sorts of people - and beautiful women who will love your "Accent.")

Buy a camping backpack for traveling and put a maple leaf patch on your back-pack. Just say you are canadian when asked.

You heard of the transvestite who went abroad and came back a broad?

Actually I have a lot of experience with international programs and if you check out your university websites, (SUNY Brockport or SUNY itself) there are a lot of programs affiliated with Australian Universities.

Hey guys im looking to study abroad next year and i want to go to australia so i guess what im asking is besides the information i get from my school what advice would you guys have for me? How much money do i need? what kind of things should i bring? ect...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I spent time working in Sydney Australia with a few days in Adelaide and Melbourne.

Bring your own ketchup ( they have something that resembles crushed tomato like vegetable, but it isnt ketchup)

Food is ok, good seafood, horrible pizza

Crown Dry was my beer of choice

People do not tip at the bars (I almost got my ass kicked for suggesting to several parties that the bartender should be tipped)

The people are extremely nice, helpful.

Friday nights at the pubs were great, people who you don't know willing to chat and just hang out while watching rugby

This is spring right now, summer is around the corner

Bondi beach is worth the trip, Manley beach is as well

Many of the beaches are topless, don't be a freak and try capturing the scene with your camera

Hey guys im looking to study abroad next year and i want to go to australia so i guess what im asking is besides the information i get from my school what advice would you guys have for me? How much money do i need? what kind of things should i bring? ect...

I studied abroad in Melbourne from July to December 1999. It was awesome to say the least. A few pieces of advice:

-Take a light course load (I had classes 2 days a week, allowing me to travel a ton or just enjoy a 5 day weekend...every week)

-Try to distance yourself from your fellow Americans (I lived in a place that had students from all over the world and a bunch of Australians and even though I went with 2 good friends from college, I tried to hang out with the other people as much as possible, plenty of time to hang out with your friends when you get back home.

-If you go to Australia, travel as much possible, most likely you won't be getting back there anytime soon (I've seen more of Australia than I have of the US.)

-You need a ton of money...you will not want to (or in my case) be able to say no to anything. If someone says "Let's go to the Great Barrier Reef for the weekend" you want to be able to say yes.

-Try to figure out how many/what "big" trips you want to do ahead of time so you have those budgeted and possibly even have flights ahead of time.

If you do go to Australia, feel free to drop me a line and I can give you some more specific advice.

I do not have any advice on going to school over there but I will say this. When I was 23 me & friends went on vacation in Sydney for 10 days. Place is amazing. The clubs, the booze & the girl to guy ratio at the clubs had to be like 5/6-1. If you get an opportunity, I would definately do it.

I studied abroad in Melbourne from July to December 1999. It was awesome to say the least. A few pieces of advice:

-Take a light course load (I had classes 2 days a week, allowing me to travel a ton or just enjoy a 5 day weekend...every week)

-Try to distance yourself from your fellow Americans (I lived in a place that had students from all over the world and a bunch of Australians and even though I went with 2 good friends from college, I tried to hang out with the other people as much as possible, plenty of time to hang out with your friends when you get back home.

-If you go to Australia, travel as much possible, most likely you won't be getting back there anytime soon (I've seen more of Australia than I have of the US.)

-You need a ton of money...you will not want to (or in my case) be able to say no to anything. If someone says "Let's go to the Great Barrier Reef for the weekend" you want to be able to say yes.

-Try to figure out how many/what "big" trips you want to do ahead of time so you have those budgeted and possibly even have flights ahead of time.

If you do go to Australia, feel free to drop me a line and I can give you some more specific advice.

what can I get for $250?

I studied in Cape Town but have a friend that studied in Sydney a year later- I visited him for about 10 days, and it was a great city, he really loved it too. I'd recommend heading to New Zealand at some point if you can, I thought it was even cooler than Australia. Since the exchange rate is favorable, you should be in good shape money-wise, ie it shouldn't be too pricey. Try to bring as little as possible and buy what you need while you're there. Other than that, I would agree with everything EZCBoston wrote. Most of all, appreciate every day of it- the situation is so unique and you'll never be able to experience anything like it again.

-You need a ton of money...

The exchange rate has recently improved massively for coming to Australia from the US......that would help a lot.

I've studied abroad.....but I don't think that counts :wallbash:

Much to my eternal regret, I did not even consider studying/working/traveling abroad either during or right after school. And what, like the $25K i earned that year has made a big diffrence in my life???? I do not care how much money you do/do not have, do yourself a favor and GO!!!!

Like I said, always consider that the biggest mistake i made in life, next to not gettin busy with the most gorgoeus girl ever(well, most gorgeous who ever said yes to me) at the Candy Store in Laurderdale cuase the parents of the chick i was staying with were already pissed at me, and I didn't want em more pissed. Was too young to realize, they already hated me, staying out another night was not going to elevate that hate. Lordy, I still can see that chick in my minds eye.

Youth, wasted on the young as they say....

Much to my eternal regret, I did not even consider studying/working/traveling abroad either during or right after school. And what, like the $25K i earned that year has made a big diffrence in my life???? I do not care how much money you do/do not have, do yourself a favor and GO!!!!

Like I said, always consider that the biggest mistake i made in life, next to not gettin busy with the most gorgoeus girl ever(well, most gorgeous who ever said yes to me) at the Candy Store in Laurderdale cuase the parents of the chick i was staying with were already pissed at me, and I didn't want em more pissed. Was too young to realize, they already hated me, staying out another night was not going to elevate that hate. Lordy, I still can see that chick in my minds eye.

Youth, wasted on the young as they say....

That's a heart-felt post if ever I read one, Plenz! :wacko:

Memories...great, eh? :)

That's a heart-felt post if ever I read one, Plenz! :D

Memories...great, eh? :wacko:

Memories ahh, agreeed.

Sure wish I had a year of em from Europe or some other such place, but my memories of that first year out of school is banging out cold calls 12 hrs a day slinging mutual funds :wallbash::)

Ditto.

Australia is a great country with great people and lots of talent.

You will love it.

A friend of mine from South Africa once gave me very good advice. If you treat an Australian girl well, she will return the favor. Australian men have a reputation for being chauvinists who also would much prefer to go to the pubs and drink with their mates.

There is an old joke about this. [Keep in mind that Australians have short hand for everything. Examples: Bruce - guys; Sheila - girls; John - an English guy; Sepo - an American (from septic tank). They also have an "earthy" sense of humor.]

In any event, the joke is as follows:

Sheila called Bruce to tell him that she is pregnant and that if he does not marry her, she is going to jump off the Sydney bridge. Bruce responded: Sheila, not only are you a good %#*@, you are a good sport.