Whitner is what's right about the Bills

scribo

Another fine piece by Chris Brown about the "Tone Setter"...

Whitner is providing direction to McKelvin as they walk through the film. He does the same thing on Thursday evenings at his home when he and his fellow defensive backs watch more film in preparation for the upcoming game inviting everyone to make their calls as they watch the same play three times through.

When I hear about a high-drafted player not practicing hard, not caring that his play is below expectations, etc., I often wonder how someone could be so disloyal to his team, teammates and himself. Whitner, on the other hand, seems truly dedicated to making the Bills, his teammates and himself better for having spent that high pick on him.

Im for all the high character guys from Ohio and Pennsylvania we can get. Whitner and Poslusny are well drilled in the fundamentals. Maybe we can send McKelvin down to Ohio State or Penn State for a year...

what a bargain at pick # 8. Whitner is the leader of this team

[sarcasm] No, no. He's not a pro-bowler and he's only above average on the field. He was the eighth pick and he should be a perennial pro-bowler. I don't give a crap about off field leadership. We should have gotten...... Any one of those players would have been a better selection. This FO doesn't know :( about football. I should be the GM then everything would be perfect. We'd be in the SB every year!! [/sarcasm off]

[sarcasm] No, no. He's not a pro-bowler and he's only above average on the field. He was the eighth pick and he should be a perennial pro-bowler. I don't give a crap about off field leadership. We should have gotten...... Any one of those players would have been a better selection. This FO doesn't know :( about football. I should be the GM then everything would be perfect. We'd be in the SB every year!! [/sarcasm off]

During that draft everyone was clamoring for the DT Ngata. How many pro-bowls has Ngata made in the same period. Also, note that Whitner is playing the same position as Bob Sanders of the Colts and Polamalu of the Steelers in the AFC. It is hard to get pro-bowl recognition with these players in the AFC.

During that draft everyone was clamoring for the DT Ngata. How many pro-bowls has Ngata made in the same period. Also, note that Whitner is playing the same position as Bob Sanders of the Colts and Polamalu of the Steelers in the AFC. It is hard to get pro-bowl recognition with these players in the AFC.

Valid point he also needs to be on a team that helps him to get recognition.

The Ravens have ranked in the top 3 in rush defense and Ngata is a big part of that.

The Bills passed on Ngata because they felt they could give up the farm for McCargo later on in the draft... that turned out great, didn't it?

I'm freaking glad we drafted Donte. Wish somebody would post a list as to who the actual players are the show up for these meetings.

And why isn't Evans or Edwards doing the same for the O? Hell, even ST.

From the article:

Whitner is providing direction to McKelvin as they walk through the film. He does the same thing on Thursday evenings at his home when he and his fellow defensive backs watch more film in preparation for the upcoming game inviting everyone to make their calls as they watch the same play three times through.

Sounds like they all do.

You know, I think Whitner is thought of more highly around the league than at TSW.

Why would you say that? In this thread alone Whitner is called, "what's right about the Bills," "a bargain at #8," and a "tone setter." In another thread, he is often referred to as a "star."

Imo, Whitner is a good, perhaps very good player. I do not have a problem with his performance, and his effort is highly worthy of praise. One has to admire his technique as well. He hits hard and seems to take great angles. Looking back, he was not a terrible selection at all. My problem is not with Whitner as a player, but the philosophy of the 06 draft.

Why would you say that? In this thread alone Whitner is called, "what's right about the Bills," "a bargain at #8," and a "tone setter." In another thread, he is often referred to as a "star."

Imo, Whitner is a good, perhaps very good player. I do not have a problem with his performance, and his effort is highly worthy of praise. One has to admire his technique as well. He hits hard and seems to take great angles. Looking back, he was not a terrible selection at all. My problem is not with Whitner as a player, but the philosophy of the 06 draft.

Yeap, I said it at the time and I still belive it. Whitner had to be a game changer to be worthy of that pick. To use a pick that high on a Safety - where you can find good players on the second day of the draft - the guy has to be an amazing player. Whitner is good but if we were going to settle for "good" from that spot I'd prefer a DT. A "good" DT is much more important (and more difficult to find) than a "good" S. Safety is the easiest position to hide on the field - bar none. DT is one of the hardest. That, in and of itself, helps determine vaule.

That being said I prefer a "good" Safety over a bust from another position. The problem is, the player everybody wanted there - Ngata - is far from a bust. He's one of the best young DTs in the game.

As the original poster said, Whitner IS all that is right with the Bills - I love the guy. How can you not root for him. But I still would have prefered Ngata.