Gonzalez Report

BillsVet

No, the real problem in your suggestion is that the Chiefs already have a JP Losman on their team in Brodie Croyle. Losman has absolutely positively no value to the Kansas City Chiefs. And this isn't Madden where you can just plug in a QB and see what he does. He has to learn a brand new offense on the fly. I'm not a Losman hater, but he's not exactly Favre winging it with the Jets.

Could not agree more. Losman has zero trade value at this point. The problem with Losman, like many other QB's like Carr, Boller, Grossman, is that he has talent and experience but five years into his career is still a developmental QB. Most teams already have a guy like that on their roster and don't want another team's throw-aways. I think he might have trouble finding work next year unless teams are convinced he's alright battling for a #2 job. Otherwise, he'll get the Culpepper treatment.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give a 3rd and 7th for him. Even at his age, we would still get great value in return for the aforementioned picks based upon his leadership and playmaking abilities. However, TG probably will have some input in where he goes. KC's management and he have had a great relationship. I think the Giants are the front runners at this point based upon their super bowl win last year and their numbers this year. They also have several picks to play with. I see him going to the Giants. If they can't get the deal done, I think we have a very good shot at picking him up as the other contenders are certainly "pretenders".

Why would Giants be interested? Boss has filled in beautifully for Shockey, with many saying he's better.

Why are they interested? Boss was a 5th round pick in 2007 who could benefit from the leadership and mentoring of TG. Other than lack of experience, Boss has solid intangibles (I wish we had picked this guy up but Buffalo had traded that pick away and in the round prior, got Wright). But if the Gints could pick up TG for the right price, he would provide another veteran target for Eli.

I agree completely...Hamdan is clearly a smarter quarterback. Look at his history...he's a team player who clearly can suffice as a number 2 a la Frank Reich

NFL History, of course, right? Played in one game, and threw two passes, completed one. Some history. Listen, if you despise JP that's one thing, but why make stuff up that shows your ignorance? I like Hamdan, too, but none of us has seen him play in a legit NFL game. Basically, he has ZERO history, other than playing for four NFL teams and virtually never seeing the field. So, that demonstrates that he is smart? I guess to you, it might. :)

No, the real problem in your suggestion is that the Chiefs already have a JP Losman on their team in Brodie Croyle. Losman has absolutely positively no value to the Kansas City Chiefs. And this isn't Madden where you can just plug in a QB and see what he does. He has to learn a brand new offense on the fly. I'm not a Losman hater, but he's not exactly Favre winging it with the Jets.

Even the Jets wanted Favre ASAP during the Spring, as they knew even he would need to learn the offense, despite having played in the NFL since the helmets were leather. Apparently he is still learning the offense. So, I agree, JP would not be of much use to KC this year, and they can make a play to get him next year, without sacrificing a player, should they so choose.

Might as well just give them the 1st they want and be done with it. Given our history and relative success of 1st and 3rd rounders, it would probably end up costing us less. :sick:

You must be one hell of a negotiator. As much as I hated Sales, I would love to have sold stuff to you.

Good discussion so far. I have just a couple thoughts to add:

Regarding the discrepancy between "the Chiefs are looking for a first round pick and change," and the report that they are holding out for a 3rd round pick. This smacks of the gameTelephone, going something like this:

A: The Chiefs want a 3rd round pick

B: Really? Do you think they'd really part with him for that?

A: Sure, it's a first day pick (no longer true) and they're looking for change.

---

C: What did you hear about Gonzales?

B: They looking for a first round pick and change...

I do think the Chiefs might see some value in being able to negotiate a new contract with Losman now before he hits the open market. I also think that Losman would be receptive to a low starter-money contract and a shot at leading the Chiefs.

I see Trent's current health as the issue with any trade including Losman. If we may need JP to start against SD, I'd say there's no way the Bills would let him go. If they know Trent has been fine since mid-week and will practice next week and likely start, it may seem a reasonable risk to them to let Losman go to get Gonzales.

Having a reliable receiving TE as an outlet, one the D has to respect, should minimize the blitzes and help Trent get gid of the ball.

Personally, I think it's foolish to get rid of Losman when our record is 4-1 and Trent is already hurt, but if they are down on Losman, or feel they have to change the offense more to accommodate him tham Hamden, it's a no-brainer to try o get some value for him.

I'm sure they were looking for a 1st rounder initially, and then saw what the Giants were offering and changed it to a first day pick. Soon it will be a 3rd rounder.

Agreed. Maybe 3rd and change, or 3rd/conditional 2nd based on performance. Or, maybe KC will simply not trade him, if those deals aren't good enough

If Bill Polian was still at One Bills Drive, I'm thinking he'd make this move.

I love the idea, but I'm not sure if it fits into the current administration's plans ...

I love the idea, but I'm not sure if it fits into the current administration's plans ...

I don't know about that. Apparently there's interest on the Bills' part, which is a start. And they did trade a 3rd and 5th for Stroud who isn't a spring chicken but still has a couple years left.

I know there are people talking about the Gonzalez to Buffalo angle. Chris Brown has it on his blog that there is an unconfirmed story from ESPNews that Buffalo is interested in Tony Gonzalez. However...

The report says Chiefs CEO King Carl (Peterson) wants a first and change. That's too high, and I'd be surprised to see KC get any more than a second. Gonzalez has some tread left on him, but a first is probably the initial offer, which is never accepted. TG has made it known he'd like to get out while the Chiefs undergo complete rebuild.

The trade deadline is 10/14, and Chris Chambers went for a second last year. My gut tells me Buffalo does not consider Gonzalez for more than a third. His pay is manageable for 08 and 09, but there's some guaranteed money there as well.

Then again, this is a must-win year for the Bills and there is no quality TE on the roster. You've got an H-Back type in Schouman and an injured rookie in Fine being the backups to the disappointing Royal.

1st and change.....yeah thats a good move for our future

Could not agree more. Losman has zero trade value at this point. The problem with Losman, like many other QB's like Carr, Boller, Grossman, is that he has talent and experience but five years into his career is still a developmental QB. Most teams already have a guy like that on their roster and don't want another team's throw-aways. I think he might have trouble finding work next year unless teams are convinced he's alright battling for a #2 job. Otherwise, he'll get the Culpepper treatment.

Well maybe someone is stupid enough to trade for him. Don't underestimate the intelligence of some GMs in this league. Look how long Bledsoe hung around.......and RJ;)

1st and change.....yeah thats a good move for our future

First reports are always incorrect. I have to believe that a third and lower pick is more realistic.

I also agree Lori, Trader Bill may have gone through with this deal, but the current people at OBD seem intent on maintaining a core of young players. Of course, they went against that wisdom by filling a huge void at DT with Stroud.

I daresay right now that tight end is as big a problem as DT was last season. Some are OK with Royal, but based on the QB, a pass catcher at TE would instantly make the entire offense better.

whats also missing here is the fact that gonzo is a physical freak...lookin at his stats you'll see that he has missed two games in his entire NFL career. also him being under contract for 3 more years gives the bills room to trade him to another contender should he become unsatisifed with the situation here. this would be an unreal deal if the bills could pull it off. i just dont see it happening cause i see the eagles pulling this off to finally give mcnabb some real help

Guest dog14787

Yup, Bill Polian gets it done.

Seems like anything that will help keep TE off the carpet and help our offense should be highly considered right about now, besides TE needs a TE. :)

Well maybe someone is stupid enough to trade for him. Don't underestimate the intelligence of some GMs in this league. Look how long Bledsoe hung around.......and RJ;)

I think you have the situations all mixed up. JP will be in the NFL next year, and you can bet your house on that. The reasons nobody will give anything for JP NOW are it is midseason, and a new QB can rarely help a team after missing all of camp and the preseason. PLUS, JP is a UFA at the end of the season, so they would be trading for a commodity that isn't worth much, this year, and that they don't own after this year. It simply makes no sense.

Neither RJ nor Bledsoe were acquired, mid season, only to be a UFA at the end of the year.