What about Vernon Davis?

H2o

Vernon Davis is clearly unhappy in San Francisco under Mike Martz and they might be willing to unload the former 6th overall pick. There's alot of talk about going after the "ancient" Tony Gonzales, what about trying to go after Davis? The price would probably be the same or even less. I'm not sure if San Fran wants to part ways just yet, but I'm pretty sure that he does after reading some of his comments. Davis was a BEAST in college and seemed to be a "can't miss" pro prospect. He ran a 4.4 40 yard dash and clearly demonstrated his powerful running in college with all of the people he barreled over and stiff-armed to the ground. He's had a couple of injury bouts and changes at the OC position. I think the guy is being grossly underutilized in the 49ers offensive scheme. Leave it up to Mike Martz to waste a guy's talent (see Marshall Faulk with the Rams). If we could get him in a Bills uni, Trent would have a vast array of weapons at every position. We'd have Evans to stretch the defense, Davis to run the seams in the middle, Hardy and Reed as posession guys, and Parrish running all of the crossing and out routes underneath the defense. Hardy and Davis are also huge redzone threats with their size and ability. To me, it makes sense to atleast see if they're interested.

Aside from showing a propensity to drop passes and get injured, what else has Davis shown so far in his NFL career?

Truthfully, not a whole hell of a lot. But, I would take a shot with this guy (from what I know...but, there may be good reasons to stay away). He has all the skills and just has never been a fit in SF. Sometimes it takes a change of venue, or coaching style, offensive system, whatever...for a guy to really shine.

Vernon has always intrigued me, and I wouldn't be against getting him, if the deal was right.

Aside from showing a propensity to drop passes and get injured, what else has Davis shown so far in his NFL career?

If we are looking to put together a team for a Combine competition, he would be awesome! Truth be told, I was hoping for a breakout year from him this season but he appears to be used primarily as a blocker in Martz's system.

I'd rather get Tony G if he was available to tell you the truth. This year will be the biggest that the window is open for a couple more years thanks to Brady's injury. Even with the growth of our team over the next couple seasons, it probably won't be as good as a Brady-led Patriots. Let's get Tony G and make a run now.

:thumbdown:

Have you ever seen this guy play? I live in Cali, so I see almost all his games at the bar as some friends are Niner fans and I was actually dumb enough to draft him in Fantasy last year.

He runs sloppy, lazy routes and he lacks focus so he drops too many passes. So, you want us to trade for a TE that cant get open and when he does has about a good chance he will drop the pass? And he hates blocking, so he sulks. I mean, if Mike Martz cant turn this guy into a producer in a pass happy offense with a great RB to keep the D honest, why do you think he will fit into our system mid season where it will take him the rest of the year to learn the offense?

It will never happen, but the suggestion of trading for Gonzalez makes more sense as he is a smart smart player who runs great routes. He has way more chance to quickly integrate and become a factor.

With his athleticism I imagine he has more potential than Schouman and Fine. Low risk with big upside if you got him at the price.

Thats just it...you are not going to get him for the right price...they are going to want too much for him...

I don't think they're ready to give up on him yet. The guy still had 50 catches, 500 yards and 4 TDs in his second season battling injuries and missing some games. He's played less than 30 games, so I don't think that SF is ready to give up on him yet, and if they are, it couldn't be for less than a 2nd or maybe multiple picks. I would take the guy in a second, but I don't think he's on the table.

the suggestion of trading for Gonzalez makes more sense as he is a smart smart player who runs great routes. He has way more chance to quickly integrate and become a factor.

I can't imagine a better fit for The Bills needs right now at TE than Gonzalez..Plus I figure at his age, with the state of The Chiefs as it is...a Team may be able to pick up TG for a reasonable Draft Pick (maybe a 3rd or 4th???)...Gonzalez would bring Vet leadership and experience to this Bills Offense...Even though Gonzalez is not quite the Player He once was, I would be thrilled to see him in Buffalo the next couple Years... :thumbdown:

I highly doubt that the 49ers give up on him after less then 3 years, so he won't come cheap

If SF was stupid enough to get rid of him for cheap, I would say it is definitly a move you make. A change of scenery/offence maybe just what the guy needs. We already have a blocking TE so that should solve on of his issues.

He has the ability and skills to be good, he's just the kind of player that may need the change to a new team and the right offence to get him to reach his potential

But theres no way that SF gives him up for anything cheap

So was Mike Williams. What's your point? :thumbdown:

I love that...lets add to this list...

Lawrence Phillips

Tommie Frazier

Charles Rogers

The list can go on and on...for instance, just about every Penn State RB for a decade

The other Mike Williams

:thumbdown:

Have you ever seen this guy play? I live in Cali, so I see almost all his games at the bar as some friends are Niner fans and I was actually dumb enough to draft him in Fantasy last year.

He runs sloppy, lazy routes and he lacks focus so he drops too many passes. So, you want us to trade for a TE that cant get open and when he does has about a good chance he will drop the pass? And he hates blocking, so he sulks. I mean, if Mike Martz cant turn this guy into a producer in a pass happy offense with a great RB to keep the D honest, why do you think he will fit into our system mid season where it will take him the rest of the year to learn the offense?

It will never happen, but the suggestion of trading for Gonzalez makes more sense as he is a smart smart player who runs great routes. He has way more chance to quickly integrate and become a factor.

Yeah, seen the guy play. Alot more in college than in the NFL. I live in VA and saw Maryland play alot because of the "region" I'm in. Saw him put up decent numbers last year while battling injuries too. The guy runs decent routes and not every person catches every pass. Sorry you hold a grudge because he didn't produce for your fantasy squad :thumbsup: , but all that aside he still has the potential to be a good player for many years to come. He also has alot of God given athleticism that can't be taught. You can be taught to run more crisp routes and you can work on your hands. Gonzales is getting old quick and it's not like the guy is "the missing piece" to our Super Bowl puzzle. I still say that we should look at getting Davis if the price is right, because we all should still be thinking long-term around here. Our team is not a "power house" just yet.

You want to say that, "if Mike Martz cant turn this guy into a producer in a pass happy offense with a great RB to keep the D honest, why do you think he will fit into our system mid season where it will take him the rest of the year to learn the offense?" Mike Martz is an overrated tool. He ruined what could've been dynasty of sorts in St. Louis with his antics and misuse of talent. Yeah, he's got Gore producing now. But last year Gore battled injury and his monster year came with Norv Turner at the helm. If you look back, Turner even made Alex Smith look like an up and coming QB. In the end, his arrogance and stupid decisions will get him run out of San Fran too.