Don't blame the players blame the coaches...

kota

There is only one reason why the Bills lost today and that is conservative play calling on both defense and offense. There are a few indications of this.

1) DB's playing 10 yards off the WR's. No Jamming at the line. This means the coaches decided they didn't want to give up the big play and keep everything in front of them. It's like they were playing prevent defense the whole game.

2) Not much blitzing from LB's, CB's and safeties. the front 4 could not get consistent pressure on their own. Any decent QB with good WR's and time would have put up Warner numbers today.

3) 3rd and 5 elect to run? Was it coincidence that the run play put the ball in the middle of the field?

There is only one starter who deserves to be benched and that is Melvin Fowler. I believe he is the sole reason why the pass protection and the run blocking is poor.

There is only one reason why the Bills lost today and that is conservative play calling on both defense and offense. There are a few indications of this.

1) DB's playing 10 yards off the WR's. No Jamming at the line. This means the coaches decided they didn't want to give up the big play and keep everything in front of them. It's like they were playing prevent defense the whole game.

2) Not much blitzing from LB's, CB's and safeties. the front 4 could not get consistent pressure on their own. Any decent QB with good WR's and time would have put up Warner numbers today.

3) 3rd and 5 elect to run? Was it coincidence that the run play put the ball in the middle of the field?

There is only one starter who deserves to be benched and that is Melvin Fowler. I believe he is the sole reason why the pass protection and the run blocking is poor.

yep. I thought each one of these things throughout the game.

Really? Going offsides on a fourth and short field goal attempt, that dumb Royal fumble and the numerous times Losman got sacked becuase he waited too long is the coaches fault? I agree on your reasoning but you can't blame the whole game on the coaching.

The stock answer is that Fewell thought he was protecting the young secondary by not putting them in bad situations. The truth was he was killing them by not forcing Warner to get rid of the ball under pressure. IMHO, you have to have faith in your players in these situations...New England never changed what they wanted to do on D, even when they were bringing in guys off the street to pay CB...they basically said, we are still coming at you, and you beat us if you can. Fewell had the defense playing timid, like they were scared of being beaten, and they were beaten---repeatedly. After a while, you just have to let the guys play and do what you know is the only way to succeed. If they get beat, they get beat. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

IMHO, Fewell coached scared today and the players sensed it. When your coach is telling you to do things that you usually don't do, and you are not allowed to attack the other team, it has to deflate you a little bit---almost like the coach is saying he has no confidence in you...I think that was a major blunder by Fewell...

Really? Going offsides on a fourth and short field goal attempt, that dumb Royal fumble and the numerous times Losman got sacked becuase he waited too long is the coaches fault? I agree on your reasoning but you can't blame the whole game on the coaching.

Good post.

You are pointing to all the offensive and ST failures...What the original poster pointed to was especially the blame on the defensive side of the football. The coaches did play conservative..... But give credit to the Arizona coaches for adjusting their game plane and making merry on the short passes.

You are pointing to all the offensive and ST failures...What the original poster pointed to was especially the blame on the defensive side of the football. The coaches did play conservative..... But give credit to the Arizona coaches for adjusting their game plane and making merry on the short passes.

The coaches were not on the field. They did not put the team in the best position to win but to say the loss was squarely on the defensive coaching is stupid. It was a combination of bad coaching and execution by players in all 3 facets of the game. Hopefully the loss will finally get the team to realize they cannot play like crap for 3 quarters and expect to win every week. Here's to a week off and a fresh team getting back on track against the Chargers.

It's impossible for a Mistake free football game to occur. None of the things you mentioned helped but none of them were enough to give the Bills a loss today.

Exactly. Give Warner and the rest of that offense credit for a job well done today. Its easy to say we should have blitzed more, but does anyone remember a blitz actually working? Most of the time Warner would read it and get the football out of his hands to the tune of first down yardage.

This wasn't the coaches finest hour, nor was it a great day for most of the players.

I think any objective look at the Bills' performance will find plenty of blame to spread around.

Just don't forget to blame The Senator!

I agree with your points, especially 1 and 3. As for point #2, I'm not always a big fan of blitzing. But, in the circumstances we faced today, I agree a lot more blitzing would have made sense. The defensive style we chose got us killed.

The stock answer is that Fewell thought he was protecting the young secondary by not putting them in bad situations. The truth was he was killing them by not forcing Warner to get rid of the ball under pressure. IMHO, you have to have faith in your players in these situations...New England never changed what they wanted to do on D, even when they were bringing in guys off the street to pay CB...they basically said, we are still coming at you, and you beat us if you can. Fewell had the defense playing timid, like they were scared of being beaten, and they were beaten---repeatedly. After a while, you just have to let the guys play and do what you know is the only way to succeed. If they get beat, they get beat. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

IMHO, Fewell coached scared today and the players sensed it. When your coach is telling you to do things that you usually don't do, and you are not allowed to attack the other team, it has to deflate you a little bit---almost like the coach is saying he has no confidence in you...I think that was a major blunder by Fewell...

Yes, play the style that had us 4-0 ! I'm disappointed in the conservative attitudes lately. Play wide open guys !

does anyone remember a blitz actually working?

A better question would have been, does anyone remember a blitz? Or a fake blitz?

Actually I do remember a blitz working. When Whitner sacked Kurt Warner.

One time in I think the 3rd quarter the Bills lined up in the kind of agressive blitz type formation like we've seen in the first 4 games. I thought, yeah, here we go, and the Lards called a time out. Then we came back to the same crap we had been playing the whole game.

I'm not always a big fan of blitzing.

I am, thus the user id! :thumbdown:

I definitely don't agree that the coaches should be blamed for everything, but it is troubling that the team has come out flat for 3 consecutive weeks.

Hey, Dick always gets this team ready, or that's what I hear.

Today, he got them ready to run for the bus.