Ch 4 may get dropped from Time Warner?

Beerball

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I would have thought there would be much gnashing of teeth over this.

Is it a forgone conclusion that they will get the deal done?

Midnight deadline

I'm more a radio guy than TV but it really looks like a "Jason Peters" move by ch.4. Yes, they have the Bills, but that's 3 hours out of 168 hours in a week. I don't know what the cable penetration is in Buffalo but it's gotta be at least 50%. For people with cable, if you're not on their system, you don't exist. That means 50% of your market not watching your news, prime time programs, etc. (I gotta believe CBS would have something to say on this.)

I wonder if Time Warner can replace ch.4 with Rochester's or Erie PA's CBS channel?

PTR

This should serve as a lesson for anyone who think it wise to have time warner.

Exactly.I switched to Directv when i started losing money in Adelphia stock.Needless to say Time Warner is a terribile cable provider.Just think of the outrage if the Bills game isnt on come Sunday for cable subscribers. :worthy:

My grandfather lives in Jamestown and has Time Warner. He gets Erie's CBS channel in addition to WKBW.

i also live in Jamestown and while Channel 4 (WIVB-Bufalo) and 5 (WSEE-Erie) both were scheduled to show the Bills game, only channel 4 actually did. "Non-Duplication" laws prevented Channel 5 from showing the game as well. I am unsure how this will affect channel 5 going forward, but i was told that in "dual" market towns like Jamestown, the game will be blacked out on channel 5 - bottom line is this sucks !!

That is all well and good if you have other choices. We don't have FIOS and our neighborhood is too wooded for a dish. It is actually Channel 4 causing the problem.

You'll need to "splain" me on this. I'm not an advocate for time warner... just a 'bang for the buck' kinda guy.

The only other options are a sattelite provider... and they don't provide the local chanels as I underand it... you have to usea secondary receiver/antenna/dish to receive the local chanels.

But... do the satellite providers charge you extra for HD? yeah...most of em do.

Then you have fios... but where's the HD

There is no clear cut one is better than the other. I comes down to what your personal preferences are and what works for you.

I'm a time warner subscriber... I don't have digital cable or the box... but I get about 85 chanels... 6 of which are in HD.

I've considered other options, but when I stack all the options up and compare them side by side, time warner wins for me. I have 6 cable ready tvs (2 hd) running off a single cable line feed and a distribution box. No cable boxes. The same set up for a satellite system would require 6 receiver boxes and the fee that goes with it, plus HD fees if I want that option. That would easily double my current cable bill...and I don't see where double the money doubles my viewing pleasure.

You'll need to "splain" me on this. I'm not an advocate for time warner... just a 'bang for the buck' kinda guy.

The only other options are a sattelite provider... and they don't provide the local chanels as I underand it... you have to usea secondary receiver/antenna/dish to receive the local chanels.

But... do the satellite providers charge you extra for HD? yeah...most of em do.

There is no clear cut one is better than the other. I comes down to what your personal preferences are and what works for you.

I'm a time warner subscriber... I don't have digital cable or the box... but I get about 85 chanels... 6 of which are in HD.

I've considered other options, but when I stack all the options up and compare them side by side, time warner wins for me. I have 6 cable ready tvs (2 hd) running off a single cable line feed and a distribution box. No cable boxes. The same set up for a satellite system would require 6 receiver boxes and the fee that goes with it, plus HD fees if I want that option. That would easily double my current cable bill...and I don't see where double the money doubles my viewing pleasure.

You seem misinformed when it comes to locals on Sat. I have DirecTv and receive all of the local channels in Buffalo in BOTH standard and high definition.

As for all the rest. In terms of having to have boxes in each room (and paying for them) you are correct. I have to agree that Cable is a better solution (cost wise especially) for someone with more than a couple of TVs

By the way, with DirecTv, I do pay about 10 a month for HD service and have about 78 HD channels. (not including PPVs and things like that)

I HAVE DISH NETWORK WITH LOCALS AND I GET CHANNEL 4! I SWITCHED 2 YEARS AGO WHEN MY CABLE WENT OUT DURING A PLAYOFF GAME.... AND IT HAPPENED TO BE TIME WARNER!!

Does this particular channel broadcast in HD yet? If so, is it done over the air?
WIVB broadcasts in HD. I happen to live about a mile from their studios, but that isn't where their HD transmitters are.

http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

That site lists HD stations relative to the location you enter. (presumably where you live) Most of the local stations here have their transmitters somewhere near East Aurora. I can pick up the signals most of the time with the cheapest pair of rabbit ears I could find at Target, less than $20.

gone

Yay! and we get HBO Family and CBS college sports channel in return. :sick: At least give us regular HBO, or Encore or something.

And, THIS SUCKS!

I move all the way to Buffalo so I can watch the games without a hassle...and they take the channel away? WTF? Now it's back to the same thing it's been since I got out of college = find a damn Direct TV bar. Irony seems to follow me wherever I go....

This is true....Go buy an antenna if you have time Warner or call time warner and make them pay for it haha oh wait that'll never happen

After February 2009 though this will no longer be an option

That's not true. After 2009 you can still use an antenna. The ONLY difference is that you need a digital tuner on your TV. If your TV was purchased in the last ~4-5 years, you probably already have a digital tuner. If your TV is HD, you definitely have a digital tuner.

Yay! and we get HBO Family and CBS college sports channel in return. :sick: At least give us regular HBO, or Encore or something.

And, THIS SUCKS!

I move all the way to Buffalo so I can watch the games without a hassle...and they take the channel away? WTF? Now it's back to the same thing it's been since I got out of college = find a damn Direct TV bar. Irony seems to follow me wherever I go....

You don't need to find a DirecTV bar (BTW - almost all bars that do sports are DirecTV bars). You can use an antenna just fine.

Or switch to DirecTV or Dish.

One option is nearly free, the other two are (most likely) cheaper than what you pay now.

You don't need to find a DirecTV bar (BTW - almost all bars that do sports are DirecTV bars). You can use an antenna just fine.

Or switch to DirecTV or Dish.

One option is nearly free, the other two are (most likely) cheaper than what you pay now.

Dude, I am not going to complete this circle of stupidity and go out and buy 1950's technology-->what if they settle this "dispute" on Saturday? This whole things smells to high heaven, btw = like two monopolies, Bills games vs. Cable company, fighting it out to see who gets to rip us off first? How much do you wanna bet that the "solution" means everybody's bill goes up, and Time Warner cries crocodile tears while telling us it's not their fault that they have to charge us more. :sick:

I don't pay anything now. Cable is free in my building(we used to get HBO free as well).

I can't switch to DTV because they won't let me, though it's not like I couldn't find a way to do it anyway. I sure as hell ain't moving to the dopey suburbs, ever, and I'm not sure I want to buy a house just yet with all the chaos going on, never mind the large potential for taxes going up with the state spending cuts.

(Btw, when is Upstate ever going to learn and stop voting for people who raise taxes and overspend? High taxes is our #1 problem in every county there is, it drives business away. Yet the fools here keep electing these idiots. Yeah, maybe more manufacturing companies will move in :sick:, their sure to do it with top 3 in the country taxes. Like I said: Fools. :sick: )

So, unfortunately, none of your solutions apply, and yes, I will be seeking a DTV bar this Sunday, in Buffalo, of all places. :sick:

Dude, I am not going to complete this circle of stupidity and go out and buy 1950's technology-->what if they settle this "dispute" on Saturday? This whole things smells to high heaven, btw = like two monopolies, Bills games vs. Cable company, fighting it out to see who gets to rip us off first? How much do you wanna bet that the "solution" means everybody's bill goes up, and Time Warner cries crocodile tears while telling us it's not their fault that they have to charge us more. :lol:

1950's technology....? :unsure: Antenna's are actually very common, especially now with all the HD signals in the air.

So instead of spending $25 on a Silver Sensor antenna (or similar), you'd rather B word and moan that you have to go to a bar...?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PHDTV1-Silve...8838&sr=8-1

This whole things smells to high heaven, btw = like two monopolies, Bills games vs. Cable company, fighting it out to see who gets to rip us off first? How much do you wanna bet that the "solution" means everybody's bill goes up, and Time Warner cries crocodile tears while telling us it's not their fault that they have to charge us more. :lol:

Well, its not quite like that. NBC here in Austin is gone as of midnight, because its also owned by LIN-TV. It's not just Buffalo CBS, its all stations owned by LIN.

They could pick up the game from the Syracuse CBS station on Time Warner that shows all the Bills games.

I don't believe that they can legally show another market's feed without permission from the home market carrier, which would be WIVB and there is no way they will offer permission. It would kill any leverage they have.

EDIT:

Looks like I was right. TWC was going to try to get permission to show the Rochester Feed and WIVB (or LIN-TV anyway) said No Way....

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/453762.html

Do you think this would be as big a deal if they did not carry the Bills games? I don't watch ANYTHING on CBS. I also dont watch too much TV... mostly cable and sports.

Do you think LIN would be doing this if the Bills were not doing as well? I feel like they are laughing at all the TW customers because they have this huge bargaining chip. But like I said, cable is my only option in my neighborhood.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get an antenna since I have people coming over for the game on Sunday :lol: