How the mighty have fallen...

PistolPeaTear

Love the article preview in the corner about "Manning and Leaf Debut"....Wonder how that ever worked out...

I'll admit, it was pretty cool to go out to dinner, and everyone in the place would turn and watch the TV above the bar when ESPN broke in with one of McGwire's at bats as he was getting close to the record.

It's a shame that since the 1920's, the most home runs that a man could hit in a season was right there, either 60 or 61. McGwire artificially shattered that mark with a seemingly unattainable 70, and Bonds jumped that with a steroid assisted 73. What a shame. ARod hit 54 HR's last year, and generally had a season comparable to Mickey Mantle's best ever. And ARod wasn't even a blip on the radar in the HR chase. He needed 20 more!!! That's CRAZY! Ryan Howard led the bigs by a mile this year, and he had what? 47 or 48??? It's a shame that number is so skewed. There's a reason it was where it was for 70 years.

Love the article preview in the corner about "Manning and Leaf Debut"....Wonder how that ever worked out...

I'll admit, it was pretty cool to go out to dinner, and everyone in the place would turn and watch the TV above the bar when ESPN broke in with one of McGwire's at bats as he was getting close to the record.

It's a shame that since the 1920's, the most home runs that a man could hit in a season was right there, either 60 or 61. McGwire artificially shattered that mark with a seemingly unattainable 70, and Bonds jumped that with a steroid assisted 73. What a shame. ARod hit 54 HR's last year, and generally had a season comparable to Mickey Mantle's best ever. And ARod wasn't even a blip on the radar in the HR chase. He needed 20 more!!! That's CRAZY! Ryan Howard led the bigs by a mile this year, and he had what? 47 or 48??? It's a shame that number is so skewed. There's a reason it was where it was for 70 years.

so are you saying that Jose Canseco told the truth about everybody except A-Rod??

at the time it was good for baseball, and anyone who didnt have their suspicions back then is kidding themselves, we loved the long ball and demanded it...and they gave it to us

Link

I really can't believe this was the SI cover 10 years ago to date. Its crazy to think back then and how we all ended up being duped.

so are you saying that Jose Canseco told the truth about everybody except A-Rod??

Definitely not. I believe Canseco, probably more than anybody. The point I was making was that ARod hit .314, 54 HR, 156 RBI...A great, all-time statistical season, like I said it was on par with Mickey's best...He was leading the league the ENTIRE season in HRs, starting with his hot April...And he wasn't even a blip on the record chase. If the record was where it should be, in a human range of 61 or so, it probably would've been an exciting chase.

I'm not saying ARod is clean or isn't clean. I'm saying, an INCREDIBLE season like that, by Ryan Howard or David Wright or Justin Morneau or anybody, is trivialized by comparisons to a ridiculous HR total that was obtained artificially. It's unfortunate.

It's hard to imagine someone hotter than ARod was last year, and he was 20 away from breaking the record!!!! That's TWO MONTHS worth of games!!! Howard led MLB this year with 48!!

73??? That's too crazy.

at the time it was good for baseball, and anyone who didnt have their suspicions back then is kidding themselves,

Like most superficial quick fixes, it was horrible for baseball and I haven't bothered watching much since. 'Roid boys playing Home Run Derby has helped to make baseball the most boring sport in the US.

People will believe anything when they want to. Dudes don't get to 6'6" 270 lbs with less than 5% body fat without a little help.

Aint it the truth.

On the Bills, the poster boy imo for steroids was Cornelius Bennett. He was said to be 6'2"/245, with something like a 32 inch waist and 19 inch biceps, and it was wiry muscle. With all of this, he ran the 40 in about 1 second. :ph34r: This is not to mention the sex crime.

I guess the real question about roids is how much do we care? After playing it for many years, I had stopped watching baseball during the strike, but I admit to tuning back in to watch McGuire. He was hitting 475 foot home runs as an afterthought. Some traveled 550. I was pissed when he broke the record with a chip shot. Now, I never watch baseball. I haven't seen a complete game in several years.

Wrt football, count me as one who continues to believe that hundreds of these guys are still juicing. Does anybody seriously believe that Albert Haynesworth isn't on roids? He actually stomped on a player's face. I looked for the Michael Westbrook tape but couldn't find it.

I don't have the answers for this btw. My point is that I agree with you about NFL players still being roided up.

Mark McGwire has never tested positive for illegal steroid use and he was not included in the Mitchell Report. All we have to go on is the testimony of that scumbag Canseco.

Do I think McGwire juiced? Yes. But still, innocent til proven guilty. He should be in the Hall of Fame.

Well there's what Canseco said, there's the bottle of steroids that was sitting in his locker, there's common sence, and there's the "I'm not here to talk about the past" crap he pulled on Capitol hill. McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, ect. all juiced, and we all know it.

The single season HR record stood for decades, then all of the sudden it gets broken 5-6 times? And as soon as they start really start testing (now), no one has come close to getting 61 HR's in a season.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and sh*ts on your car like a duck, then it's a duck. I don't need blood tests to tell me that.