Did anyone catch the jack@ss CBS announce crew..

Heels20X6

I didnt agree with it but I cant understand why he said, Bills only had one timeout and there wasnt a lot of time left...if the Bills kick and made the FG it would have been a one score game and would have saved them time on the clock...again I didnt agree with it but I understand what he was saying

his piint was you save time by kicking the FG there

Right, I understood it as well but it was a stupid point to keep driving- the Bills were within the 20 and he kept saying- go for the FG here! If you're that close to a TD, you go for it!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is surprisingly dumb for a HOF QB.

With 2:15 left and the ball at midfield down by only 2 - is the clock really your enemy at that point? "They need to hurry up and run another play here!". Really Dan? Why?

The clock still is your enemy at that point because you are not in field goal range and you don't know how many plays you'll need to get there. (Will it be three ten-yard gains? Or a couple of series where it takes all four downs to get ten yards?) His point was to get a play off before the two-minute warning, which the Bills did. Then you can manage the clock if you manage to get into field goal range, which again the Bills did. Fouts's insistence (and he did say it more than once) that the Bills should first seek a field goal first, then a touchdown, was completely stupid. This wasn't.

Some of his other statements weren't so bad--he recognized the simultaneous possession issue on the "interception," for example. The guy wasn't the worst analyst I've ever heard, but the bar isn't set really high by the other announcers out there.

Hopefully we can get some better crews when the Bills start playing division games or high-profile games. I'm not optimistic about the next two weeks.

Can't remember who was calling the game with Dan Fouts but they were attrocious at times with their love of JaMarcus Russell. And when he threw the TD to Higgns, idiot play-by-play guy said: "and that ends the game" or something to that effect. He didn't say "should" or "could" he said it with finality.

Good to see our Bills made him eat crow on national TV.

I saw that too and there were 6 minutes left in the :thumbsup: ing game down by 9!!!

Figures... he never finished a game while he was playing either...

:rolleyes:

What bothered me a bit more was Fouts continually saying Buffalo should play for the Field Goal on the drive that got the Bills to within 2 points at 23-21. Thank God they went for the score......

I was shaking my head at that one too!! :huh:

Can't remember who was calling the game with Dan Fouts but they were attrocious at times with their love of JaMarcus Russell. And when he threw the TD to Higgns, idiot play-by-play guy said: "and that ends the game" or something to that effect. He didn't say "should" or "could" he said it with finality.

Good to see our Bills made him eat crow on national TV.

Hate to say it but I thought it was over at that point too, I'll take my crow medium served with a side of my foot.

I'm having difficulty putting into words just how frustrating it was listening to Fouts carry on about kicking the field goal. First off the TD is tougher to acheive, so you have to get the TD 1st if you're in position to do so. Secondly, the D has to stop the Raiders offense. If they drive down and kick a field goal (after you kick one) you're right back where you started. But if you score the TD and then hold them to a FG you still have a shot.

The last good game Fouts announced was with Brent Musberger when Bobby Boucher led the Mud Dogs to victory in the Burboun bowl. Remember, they won (and by forgoing the field goal) because they didn't hold anything back. Dan, you need to stick to movie announcing.

I'm having difficulty putting into words just how frustrating it was listening to Fouts carry on about kicking the field goal. First off the TD is tougher to acheive, so you have to get the TD 1st if you're in position to do so. Secondly, the D has to stop the Raiders offense. If they drive down and kick a field goal (after you kick one) you're right back where you started. But if you score the TD and then hold them to a FG you still have a shot.

The last good game Fouts announced was with Brent Musberger when Bobby Boucher led the Mud Dogs to victory in the Burboun bowl. Remember, they won (and by forging the field goal) because they didn't hold anything back. Dan, you need to stick to movie announcing.

Yeah, no doubt. He was basically saying that it would take more time to drive the 14 yards than it would to stop the Raiders and drive at least 70 yards. There are reasons why some ex-jocks are in the announcing booth instead of on the sidelines. Especially since Edwards threw the TD on the play after his statement.

Anyone else catch the "Upset Sunday" graphic that CBS showed right after the Raiders TD bomb? It showed that the home Pats, Bills, and Giants were about to be upset. Of course, the Bills and Giants came back. The Pats, well, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Re: Fouts calling for the Bills to kick the FG first -- did anyone watch the Pittsburgh-Philly game? Pitt down 9 with about a minute to play, and on FOURTH DOWN from the Philly 15 or so they go for the first instead of kicking. Absolutely idiotic decision by Tomlin, and Nantz/Simms rightfully called him out for it.

In the Bills' broadcast, I believe Fouts was trying to be "smart" without really thinking through the game situation. Obviously a TD is harder to score than a FG so a team is going to try to get the TD first unless they have no other legitimate option (i.e., it's fourth down).

On the Raiders radio broadcast (Buffalo native and play by play man Greg Papa and ex-Bill and former Raider coach Tom Flores), they were wary of the Bills even after the long TD. Plus, Flores was disgusted when Higgins slowed down. They're a pretty solid crew.

I really like reading about coverage from the other team's POV. I can read the newspaper articles, but I can't always get a sense of what was said during the game. Thanks for this.

Yeah, when you have a first down at the opponent's 15, down by two scores, I don't think there's a single coach at any level that would elect to kick a field goal. Hell, you could bring in the swim coach and he'd tell you to go for the touchdown. Maybe Fouts was just showing why he never got into coaching.

I have to defend Fouts because Criqui asked him point blank after that comment whether the Bills should kick and he said NO go with TE's hot hand. --But he did kinda casually think out loud about getting the FG before he cleared that up.

Definitely a weakish crew.

Re: Fouts calling for the Bills to kick the FG first -- did anyone watch the Pittsburgh-Philly game? Pitt down 9 with about a minute to play, and on FOURTH DOWN from the Philly 15 or so they go for the first instead of kicking. Absolutely idiotic decision by Tomlin, and Nantz/Simms rightfully called him out for it.

In the Bills' broadcast, I believe Fouts was trying to be "smart" without really thinking through the game situation. Obviously a TD is harder to score than a FG so a team is going to try to get the TD first unless they have no other legitimate option (i.e., it's fourth down).

Fouts said right after that they should go for the TD--go with TE's hot hand. As bad a broadcaster as Fouts is you can't unfairly brand him with this one.

6 minutes is a lot of time for two scores, IMO.

If the Bills were up 9 points with six minutes left I'd be very unsettled.

I agree. Does anybody remember when we played the Raiders and Broncos at home in back-to back weeks in the early '90's? Both times we came roaring back to win both games. In one, against the Broncos I think, we scored 21 or 24 points in a 77 seconds. In the other game we scored the othe point total (21 or 24) in just 2 or 3 minutes. Three minutes is a ton of time, especially for a home team.

I agree. Does anybody remember when we played the Raiders and Broncos at home in back-to back weeks in the early '90's? Both times we came roaring back to win both games. In one, against the Broncos I think, we scored 21 or 24 points in a 77 seconds. In the other game we scored the othe point total (21 or 24) in just 2 or 3 minutes. Three minutes is a ton of time, especially for a home team.

September 30, 1990 and October 8 (Monday Night), 1990.