Trent Edwards was injury prone

Simon

Trent's commitment to some offseason conditioning has certainly paid dividends on the field. He looks stronger, leaner and sharper than he did last year. But is the on-field benefit the only dividend it will pay? I haven't really seen it discussed anywhere but I submit that his newfound commitment to conditioning will also increase his durability in two ways; 1) it will improve his ability to avoid potentially damaging situations (i.e. getting rolled up on, not being able to extricate himself from traffic, etc) and 2) the increased muscle mass will also help protect joints and ligaments at the times he does get bounced around.

Any docs or trainers on board who'd care to comment on this hypotheseis?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trent's commitment to some offseason conditioning has certainly paid dividends on the field. He looks stronger, leaner and sharper than he did last year. But is the on-field benefit the only dividend it will pay? I haven't really seen it discussed anywhere but I submit that his newfound commitment to conditioning will also increase his durability in two ways; 1) it will improve his ability to avoid potentially damaging situations (i.e. getting rolled up on, not being able to extricate himself from traffic, etc) and 2) the increased muscle mass will also help protect joints and ligaments at the times he does get bounced around.

I predict nay.

I think he was injured in preseason.

Maybe so, but he would not have been 100%. I am very happy with Trent's play so far this year, however I still question his ability to stay healthy & play well in poor weather.

if health and bad weather play are your major concerns for Edwards then i would say hes ahead of the curve and you should feel real good about the bills QB.

YOU DICK!!! you just jinxed him!! If he gets hurt this week it's YOUR

:pirate: ing fault!!!!! JACK-ASS!!!

Not being a doc (or even playing one on TV) I cannot comment on the specifics of your hypothesis. In general, your hypothesis sounds like a reasonable one.

The problem is that it ends up coming down to something some boxer (it might have even been that poet laureate Mike Tyson which I will paraphrase.

Every athlete has a good theory until someone hits them in the mouth.

Has Trent doing off-season conditioning helped him avoid injuries?

Almost certainly. Being better conditioned is better than being worse conditioned.

Duh!

The question is whether being better conditioned (more muscle mass and it is to be hoped more commitment to stretching and even some disciplined yogaesque movements to increase his flexibility (actually probably increased flexibility will do more to help him avoid injuries than increased muscle mass.

My guess is yes it has helped but probably in such a marginal amount that it is unlikely to be a difference maker for him in terms of any proneness to injury.

You are correct in soliciting feedback from a doctor or some other medical professional as I guess a real answer to the question you raise is going to be one which states with some backing whether improvements Trent made in a mere off-season of conditioning made more than a marginal difference in his ability to avoid injury.

I would be surprised if anyone could make a credible case that this improvement will be much more than marginal unless Trent was so bad before he really did no stretching whatsoever before exercising.

I think the ultimate finding is quite likely to be that any marginal improvement he gained would simply pale next to the heaviness of an impact if a D rusher hit him going full tilt or the impact of him getting a year older. The amount of flexibility one loses because you age a year can be offset by more diligent exercising but in the end father-time is gonna get us all.

Not being a doc (or even playing one on TV) I cannot comment on the specifics of your hypothesis. In general, your hypothesis sounds like a reasonable one.

The problem is that it ends up coming down to something some boxer (it might have even been that poet laureate Mike Tyson which I will paraphrase.

Almost certainly. Being better conditioned is better than being worse conditioned.

Duh!

The question is whether being better conditioned (more muscle mass and it is to be hoped more commitment to stretching and even some disciplined yogaesque movements to increase his flexibility (actually probably increased flexibility will do more to help him avoid injuries than increased muscle mass.

My guess is yes it has helped but probably in such a marginal amount that it is unlikely to be a difference maker for him in terms of any proneness to injury.

You are correct in soliciting feedback from a doctor or some other medical professional as I guess a real answer to the question you raise is going to be one which states with some backing whether improvements Trent made in a mere off-season of conditioning made more than a marginal difference in his ability to avoid injury.

I would be surprised if anyone could make a credible case that this improvement will be much more than marginal unless Trent was so bad before he really did no stretching whatsoever before exercising.

I think the ultimate finding is quite likely to be that any marginal improvement he gained would simply pale next to the heaviness of an impact if a D rusher hit him going full tilt or the impact of him getting a year older. The amount of flexibility one loses because you age a year can be offset by more diligent exercising but in the end father-time is gonna get us all.

Linkage

"Turk wants me at about 225 pounds so I'm better able to take hits," Edwards said.

With extra muscle on Edwards' frame he'll likely be able to withstand more punishment through the course of the season, and have the strength to escape from the clutches of NFL defensive ends at times as well.

The only thing Edwards is guarding against is sacrificing one asset to improve another.

"Now that I've added the muscle I have to work to maintain my flexibility, speed and quickness," he said. "I don't want to lose that."

And while that will be another challenge for Edwards to deal with through the remainder of the offseason, just having the opportunity to immerse himself in an NFL conditioning program for the first time has paid off in a big way. It leaves Edwards feeling better equipped physically for Sundays.

'Nutha article:

Edwards missed two games his sophomore year at Stanford with a shoulder injury. He missed four his senior year due to a broken bone in his ankle. The Bills’ scouts never held those injuries against Edwards due to Stanford’s sieve-like offensive line play. In fact, the first time assistant coach Turk Schonert met Edwards, he shook his hand and congratulated him for staying on the field as long as he did.

:pirate::pirate::death:

Maybe so, but he would not have been 100%. I am very happy with Trent's play so far this year, however I still question his ability to stay healthy & play well in poor weather.

That's because you are a fan who has to look for negatives when they don't exist.

Anyone who says he can't play in poor weather has no real data to back it up. Just look at the QB stats on the other side of those games and realize there are certain conditions that NO QB can play well in. According to your logic Ben Roethlisberger can't play in bad weather because last week the Steelers couldn't score more than 10 points because it was rainy & windy. I remember another night game, 11/26/07 when nobody scored until 1:19 when Pittsburgh beat Miami 3-0. Therefore you should be all over the Roethlisberger can't play in bad weather bandwagon. By the way 2 weeks later, the Bills, led by Trent Edwards, beat Miami 38-17 with Trent Edwards throwing 4 TD passes-IN POOR WEATHER!

As the SF Chronicle article states, calling Edwards injury prone when he was playing behind that horrid O-line at stanford is like calling the town drunk hangover-prone. He got hurt because he was hit almost every time he dropped back. Now that he has a line that can actually block somebody, he'll be fine.

Strengthening muscle groups around joints will help stabilize joints if you have lax ligaments to begin with. This is why double jointed people hurt themselves often, because their ligaments are loose and strain easily. Building up muscles will compensate for the loose ligaments. So, yes, strengthening the muscles around the joints will help.

However, this will not help for other types of injuries. And I can't exactly detail every injury Trent has sustained in his career. However, his last one, a thigh bruise (if that was really the case) would not have been prevented by extra muscle mass.

It is too early to tell this season if he has shaken the injury bug.

That's because you are a fan who has to look for negatives when they don't exist.

Anyone who says he can't play in poor weather has no real data to back it up. Just look at the QB stats on the other side of those games and realize there are certain conditions that NO QB can play well in. According to your logic Ben Roethlisberger can't play in bad weather because last week the Steelers couldn't score more than 10 points because it was rainy & windy. I remember another night game, 11/26/07 when nobody scored until 1:19 when Pittsburgh beat Miami 3-0. Therefore you should be all over the Roethlisberger can't play in bad weather bandwagon. By the way 2 weeks later, the Bills, led by Trent Edwards, beat Miami 38-17 with Trent Edwards throwing 4 TD passes-IN POOR WEATHER!

This is just nonsense. Forget about stats except for W's & L's, Trent was outplayed in EVERY bad weather game so far - HE LOST THEM ALL. And don't tell me QB's can't play well in bad weather, I'm sure you saw the Super Bowl Payton Manning won. That weather was as bad as any Trent has played in.

I remember another night game, 11/26/07 when nobody scored until 1:19 when Pittsburgh beat Miami 3-0. Therefore you should be all over the Roethlisberger can't play in bad weather bandwagon.

oh, you mean the game that roeth went 18-21? :thumbsup:

additionally, it should be noted that up until week one this year, that game against miami was big ben's highest completion % game in his whole career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/game...&sYear=2007

Duh!

LOL. Worth reading the thread just for that.