Jon Ritchie says Edwards is the next Brady/Manning

Just my 2 cents... I think Edwards is going to be a hell of a lot better than Delhomme/Hasselbeck. I have nothing against those guys, and they are among the upper tier in the league, but Edwards is truly something special. The guy was flat out doing surgery out there Sunday. For nearly a decade we've sat and watched our team through many a frustrating loss, where we'd almost get to the QB... only to have him deliver a KO punch. We finally have THAT guy. Trent is that guy... when Jax was up 16-10 and needed to stop a 3rd and long... they ALMOST got to Trent... only to have him step to the side and connect with Evans 30 yds. down field. And you know what? For the first time since Kelly retired, I had no doubt whatsoever that we were going to get that first down and punch it in the end zone and win that game. I don't know what it is about this guy, but he definitely has IT. It took a long time to find the guy, but I think we not only found the guy... I think we've stumbled upon another GREAT QB. Flame away, but I maintain my position on this... Trent is going to be a great one, and we're watching it unfold before our eyes.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my 2 cents... I think Edwards is going to be a hell of a lot better than Delhomme/Hasselbeck. I have nothing against those guys, and they are among the upper tier in the league, but Edwards is truly something special. The guy was flat out doing surgery out there Sunday. For nearly a decade we've sat and watched our team through many a frustrating loss, where we'd almost get to the QB... only to have him deliver a KO punch. We finally have THAT guy. Trent is that guy... when Jax was up 16-10 and needed to stop a 3rd and long... they ALMOST got to Trent... only to have him step to the side and connect with Evans 30 yds. down field. And you know what? For the first time since Kelly retired, I had no doubt whatsoever that we were going to get that first down and punch it in the end zone and win that game. I don't know what it is about this guy, but he definitely has IT. It took a long time to find the guy, but I think we not only found the guy... I think we've stumbled upon another GREAT QB. Flame away, but I maintain my position on this... Trent is going to be a great one, and we're watching it unfold before our eyes.

19 and 0 baby!!! :pirate:

Amen Brutha! Bill Walsh told Levy after the Bills drafted him that they had a very special QB. :pirate:

TE is the most freakin' cerebral QB to ever line up over center in the entire history of the NFL. Period. QED. HFE.

Now let's just hope he's durable, and can adjust to playing in climates not rife with palms and eucalyptus.

That said, BillfromNYC saw it way before I did - TE's a special kid, and I'll always look at him as Marv's last mark on Marv's storied Buffalo Bills legacy....

19 and 0 baby!!! :pirate:

TE is the most freakin' cerebral QB to ever line up over center in the entire history of the NFL. Period. QED. HFE.

Now let's just hope he's durable, and can adjust to playing in climates not rife with palms and eucalyptus.

That said, BillfromNYC saw it way before I did - TE's a special kid, and I'll always look at him as Marv's last mark on Marv's storied Buffalo Bills legacy....

19 and 0 baby!!! :rolleyes:

It would be freakin hilarious if the Bills did go 19-0, that would shut the Pets* fans up for sure!!!!!!! :pirate: :pirate: :death:

Why can't he be in the Brady mold??? It is obviously way to early to tell but confidence is a crazy thing. Brady got to have a redshirt year before he played. Edwards was thrown to the wolves. When Brady game-managed the Pats* to their 1st Super Bowl, no one would have ever guessed he would become the player he became.

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you're still amongst the stars. :thumbsup:

he doesnt cheat :(

Thanks for the great post. I concur. Edwards has IT, that magical something that has been lacking since the days of Kelly. Great arms mean nothing, if you can't figure out that you are going to get creamed. Losman has a terrific arm, but the lights are on, and nobody is home. Kelly wasn't all that bright, but he could read defenses and had a big heart and a strong arm. Edwards is an intellectual giant compared to Kelly, and if his arm strength gets better, he might be the next Joe Montana. Brady isn't all that great, if you add in the defense cheating. Anyone can win if they know the plays of the opposing team. Montana was a GREAT QB, and Edwards has that same something.

Sorry, this killed the rest of your post.

Nice. I also think Trent will only get better. I'm not a nervous wreck every time he goes back to pass, and am starting to enjoy the games more.

The one thing I still want to see is him play well in bad weather: wind, rain, snow, BUFFALO!

He's got like a 108 QB rating after 2 games, 1 sack and 1 pick, not too bad.

Nice. I also think Trent will only get better. I'm not a nervous wreck every time he goes back to pass, and am starting to enjoy the games more.

The one thing I still want to see is him play well in bad weather: wind, rain, snow, BUFFALO!

He's got like a 108 QB rating after 2 games, 1 sack and 1 pick, not too bad.

He's clearly off to a very solid start. His yards per attempt stat for the season is above 8--very impressive. Not only that, he's achieved that by 1) playing intelligently, 2) playing against playoff-caliber defenses with few if any injury concerns, and 3) with a receiving corps that features Josh Reed as the #2 WR and Robert Royal as the #1 TE.

It's just two games, and he still has a lot to prove. But I feel very optimistic about this player, and I think he has an extremely bright future in this league. Just think of what he'll be able to do once we get a real TE, and once Hardy displaces Reed as the #2 WR! :thumbsup:

He's clearly off to a very solid start. His yards per attempt stat for the season is above 8--very impressive. Not only that, he's achieved that by 1) playing intelligently, 2) playing against playoff-caliber defenses with few if any injury concerns, and 3) with a receiving corps that features Josh Reed as the #2 WR and Robert Royal as the #1 TE.

It's just two games, and he still has a lot to prove. But I feel very optimistic about this player, and I think he has an extremely bright future in this league. Just think of what he'll be able to do once we get a real TE, and once Hardy displaces Reed as the #2 WR! :thumbsup:

I have to say, I was down on Royal when he first joined the team (for various reasons). But, I think it's becoming clear that, part (a big part, actually) of the reason he wasn't a big contributor to the Bills' offense, the past two years, is because Fairchild was a clueless OC who didn't know how to use a TE (or a RB) in the passing game. I'm starting to thing Royal is a "real" TE. He's a good blocker, and has shown he can be valuable in the passing game, when actually used.

Now, I agree that the team could use an upgrade at TE (and several other positions on the team), but Royal is a very serviceable TE.

I also agree that hopefully, as the year progresses, Hardy will see more time as a WR. Eventually, I expect him to become a true #2 WR, but probably not this year, and maybe not next, either. You can call Reed a #2, but I don't think the Bills really use their receivers, that way. As Hardy sees more time, Josh may see a LITTLE less, but I don't think Hardy necessarily comes out at Reed's expense. That is, I think Reed will still see a lot of PT, Hardy or no Hardy, as he does things Hardy can't do now, and may never do.

I have to say, I was down on Royal when he first joined the team (for various reasons). But, I think it's becoming clear that, part (a big part, actually) of the reason he wasn't a big contributor to the Bills' offense, the past two years, is because Fairchild was a clueless OC who didn't know how to use a TE (or a RB) in the passing game. I'm starting to thing Royal is a "real" TE. He's a good blocker, and has shown he can be valuable in the passing game, when actually used.

Now, I agree that the team could use an upgrade at TE (and several other positions on the team), but Royal is a very serviceable TE.

I also agree that hopefully, as the year progresses, Hardy will see more time as a WR. Eventually, I expect him to become a true #2 WR, but probably not this year, and maybe not next, either. You can call Reed a #2, but I don't think the Bills really use their receivers, that way. As Hardy sees more time, Josh may see a LITTLE less, but I don't think Hardy necessarily comes out at Reed's expense. That is, I think Reed will still see a lot of PT, Hardy or no Hardy, as he does things Hardy can't do now, and may never do.

I actually like Josh Reed quite a lot. When he's focused and comes to play (which the older he gets the more consistent he becomes it seems to me) he is a very tough, gutsy WR that makes tough catches in traffic and runs for tough YAC. As I recall we were all enamored with Reed following his rookie season and felt he made Price expendable. He obviously wasn't ready for it at that time and needed some time to mature, IMHO. Reed may never be a superstar, but he's a guy that is very valuable to have on the roster. Trent seems to have very good chemistry with him as well. A lot of completions to Reed have moved the chains.

I think I saw him, but missed that part. I saw a guy answer a question like "Which 2-0 team is overrated?" or something to that effect. He said, "Tennessee" because they beat an injured Jag team and Cincy. I thought for sure he was going to mention the Bills THEN.

Was that the same interview? If so, he must have done the Bills before I changed the channel.

Jeez. Can you say "The Pats*"? Or would that be simply to much blasphemy for the networks to bear? Or perhaps they wouldn't want to contend with having to haul Peter King's copious body mass index off some camera set in a studio somewhere.

Jeez. Can you say "The Pats*"? Or would that be simply to much blasphemy for the networks to bear? Or perhaps they wouldn't want to contend with having to haul Peter King's copious body mass index off some camera set in a studio somewhere.

No kidding. But, in his defense, I think he was asked to pick one team, that was 2-0, that wasn't very good, or wouldn't make the playoffs, or something to that effect. Anyway, at the time, I felt that Tennessee was a pretty good answer. Unfortunately, I think the Pats* are built a little stronger that Tenn. But, no doubt about it, I agree that the Cheaters are overrated.

I hate how it always has to be the next Brady/Manning. Those guys are the elite superstars. They don't come around all that often. I'd gladly take a QB like the ones you mentioned. They're not the elite, but the're both top 10 guys in this league.

Of course I'd take Edwards if he proves himself to be a consistent good QB, even if he doesn't become the next superstar.

Of course, if he does, then awesome for us. So far this season he's looked good. Even if he isn't racking up the touchdown passes his throws have been almost scarily accurate, with not a single interception so far this year. I'll take THAT over a the Peyton Manning we've seen of late.

I wonder, if Trent starts looking like Peyton Manning week in and week out against all competition, how long is Turk Schonert going to stay in Buffalo?

If he keeps doing the playcalling like he's done the last two weeks... hopefully until the day he dies. Longer if Ralph Wilson manages to sign his soul for a few years post-mortem.