Jon Ritchie says Edwards is the next Brady/Manning

ESPN First Take had former Eagles and Raiders FB Jon Ritchie on just now. They asked him who out of the surprise 2-0 teams we should really look out for. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the guy got positively giddy, and he almost cut off the anchor and said, "I. Love. The Bills."

In addition to whats in the title, he also said he thinks Lynch will have a monster year even though his stats are nothing special so far, and that Peters being back in the fold should help him. Said the big guys up front love blocking for Lynch. Ritchie said he loves the defense and that they'll create plenty of turnovers. Said this is a team that has "everything going on right now."

WRT Edwards, he joked he may be a bit biased being a Stanford guy, but that Edwards diagnoses defenses "like nobody's business." The anchor was surprised when he said Edwards will be the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but Ritchie nodded and repeated himself with conviction.

Think I remembered most of it...just thought I'd pass it along. No matter what some of you say, I think its nice to hear stuff like this about your team once in awhile. Go Bills!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN First Take had former Eagles and Raiders FB Jon Ritchie on just now. They asked him who out of the surprise 2-0 teams we should really look out for. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the guy got positively giddy, and he almost cut off the anchor and said, "I. Love. The Bills."

In addition to whats in the title, he also said he thinks Lynch will have a monster year even though his stats are nothing special so far, and that Peters being back in the fold should help him. Said the big guys up front love blocking for Lynch. Ritchie said he loves the defense and that they'll create plenty of turnovers. Said this is a team that has "everything going on right now."

WRT Edwards, he joked he may be a bit biased being a Stanford guy, but that Edwards diagnoses defenses "like nobody's business." The anchor was surprised when he said Edwards will be the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but Ritchie nodded and repeated himself with conviction.

Think I remembered most of it...just thought I'd pass it along. No matter what some of you say, I think its nice to hear stuff like this about your team once in awhile. Go Bills!

I think I saw him, but missed that part. I saw a guy answer a question like "Which 2-0 team is overrated?" or something to that effect. He said, "Tennessee" because they beat an injured Jag team and Cincy. I thought for sure he was going to mention the Bills THEN.

Was that the same interview? If so, he must have done the Bills before I changed the channel.

Thanks for the great post. I concur. Edwards has IT, that magical something that has been lacking since the days of Kelly. Great arms mean nothing, if you can't figure out that you are going to get creamed. Losman has a terrific arm, but the lights are on, and nobody is home. Kelly wasn't all that bright, but he could read defenses and had a big heart and a strong arm. Edwards is an intellectual giant compared to Kelly, and if his arm strength gets better, he might be the next Joe Montana. Brady isn't all that great, if you add in the defense cheating. Anyone can win if they know the plays of the opposing team. Montana was a GREAT QB, and Edwards has that same something.

I saw it too, and was almost expecting us to get looked over. The best part is that Ritchie actually believes that. He's not reading the latest Dallas news off of a script like most of their other football segments.

While I don't agree that Trent will be like Manning/Brady*, I could see him turning out to be in the Hasselback/Delhomme mold.

I was thinking about starting to consider entertaining some feelings of enthusiasm about this, but I know how strictly regulated it is. I'm working on the official Enthusiasm Request Form right now, with all the relevant back-up information. I was just wondering if anyone here would help me out with a Letter of Recommendation. Somebody with six blue squares under their avatar would be awesome!

I saw it too, and was almost expecting us to get looked over. The best part is that Ritchie actually believes that. He's not reading the latest Dallas news off of a script like most of their other football segments.

While I don't agree that Trent will be like Manning/Brady*, I could see him turning out to be in the Hasselback/Delhomme mold.

Why can't he be in the Brady mold??? It is obviously way to early to tell but confidence is a crazy thing. Brady got to have a redshirt year before he played. Edwards was thrown to the wolves. When Brady game-managed the Pats* to their 1st Super Bowl, no one would have ever guessed he would become the player he became.

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you're still amongst the stars. :unsure:

I was thinking about starting to consider entertaining some feelings of enthusiasm about this, but I know how strictly regulated it is. I'm working on the official Enthusiasm Request Form right now, with all the relevant back-up information. I was just wondering if anyone here would help me out with a Letter of Recommendation. Somebody with six blue squares under their avatar would be awesome!

Request DENIED! :unsure: waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early...just ask The Dean.

I hate how it always has to be the next Brady/Manning. Those guys are the elite superstars. They don't come around all that often. I'd gladly take a QB like the ones you mentioned. They're not the elite, but the're both top 10 guys in this league.

Agreed. Let's give this kid a chance. How beneficial to the Bills is it to saddle this kid with the expectations that say, Eli Manning or Philip Rivers? It won't help a bit.

Besides, don't prod the football gods!

I have to admit, I've been impressed...strangely, he doesn't make me nervous... :unsure:

Agreed. Let's give this kid a chance. How beneficial to the Bills is it to saddle this kid with the expectations of say Eli Manning or Philip Rivers? It won't help a bit.

I have to admit, I've been impressed...strangely, he doesn't make me nervous... :unsure:

damn...I got some deja vu.... :unsure:

Agreed. Let's give this kid a chance. How beneficial to the Bills is it to saddle this kid with the expectations of say Eli Manning or Philip Rivers? It won't help a bit.

That's what I'm worried about right now. Great! We're 2-0 and Edwards is off to a great start. But remember that this kid (as bright as he's been so far) is still a kid and is going to make some mistakes this year. Don't all break your ankles hopping off and on Trent's bandwagon! Give him the time he needs to develop and maybe, just maybe, he'll be that elite QB the Bills have so sorely needed.

Thanks for the great post. I concur. Edwards has IT, that magical something that has been lacking since the days of Kelly. Great arms mean nothing, if you can't figure out that you are going to get creamed. Losman has a terrific arm, but the lights are on, and nobody is home. Kelly wasn't all that bright, but he could read defenses and had a big heart and a strong arm. Edwards is an intellectual giant compared to Kelly, and if his arm strength gets better, he might be the next Joe Montana. Brady isn't all that great, if you add in the defense cheating. Anyone can win if they know the plays of the opposing team. Montana was a GREAT QB, and Edwards has that same something.

I agree...you don't NEED a monster arm to succeed in the NFL. You need the ability to know what you are seeing and to make quick decisions. You do need to have a strong enough arm, but not a monster arm that can throw 80 yards downfield. Trent's arm is plenty strong enough to do what he needs to do.

I disagree. I think Trent can truly be a great one like Joe Montanna. Of course, gotta win some Super Bowls before making that comparison, but I really think he's got the whole package. Just got to keep him healthy and keep a good strong cast around him and the team has a bright future.