Vince Young+Ricky Williams

nuklz2594

These two seem to have/had the same mental problems after leaving the University of Texas. Your opinion?

I think with just two players, we can chalk it up to coincidence...This kind of thing happens a few more times, and I think it might be worth looking into the coaching practices at Texas.

These two seem to have/had the same mental problems after leaving the University of Texas. Your opinion?

I doubt there is any connection (and it is more likey some mental issues), but why not throw Mike Williams in there as well. Playing football for Texas (football crazy state and biggest university in the country) is about as big as it gets. If you ever read the book Friday Night Lights, the one kid goes to Harvard to paly football and just quits because it doesn't measure up to his high school days. They played hard, got their paydays, and just didn't have as much fun in the pros.

Actually Ricky Williams had mental problems going into University. There however, he was sheltered by his handlers so his anxiety problems wouldn't be found out about by scouts, agents, etc. He has long been a suffering agoraphobic.

Young on the other hand, his problems seem more recent. I'm know armchair psychologist, but his problems are probably from his star not burning so bright in Tennessee and the current adversity he is facing.

I read an article about Texas players not long ago and I truly believe that they are coddled too much there, leading to a higher proportion of NFL busts from that school. The depression thing? Not sure how it factors into it, but don't you think it odd to see all these highly touted Texas players bust out or have major issues:

Ricky Williams (mental)

Mike Williams (soft)

Leonard Davis (soft)

Vince Young (mental)

Cedric Benson (mental/soft)

Quentin Jammer (in my book, a bust)

Shaun Rogers (work ethic)

I'm sure there are others, just as there are some good players from UT (e.g., Casey Hampton).

I read an article about Texas players not long ago and I truly believe that they are coddled too much there, leading to a higher proportion of NFL busts from that school. The depression thing? Not sure how it factors into it, but don't you think it odd to see all these highly touted Texas players bust out or have major issues:

Ricky Williams (mental)

Mike Williams (soft)

Leonard Davis (soft)

Vince Young (mental)

I'm sure there are others, just as there are some good players from UT (e.g., Casey Hampton).

Michael Huff.

Ricky Williams (mental)

Mike Williams (soft)

Leonard Davis (soft)

Vince Young (mental)

Casey Hampton is good, but...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08210/900038-66.stm

Throw Shaun Rogers and Mike Williams in there and I think that UT players struggle with obesity. Clearly something has to be done about the meal plan at that school.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Ricky was a beast, running for 1,800 yards. Sadly, Ricky has a social disorder. And he also couldn't stop smoking pot. VY is just being a baby. He got booed, his leg will heal up fast and he'll be back on the field soon. His team has a good run game and good D, they just need him to not make mistakes. He's a talented guy and just needs to be patient and work hard.

Ricky Williams (mental)

Mike Williams (soft)

Leonard Davis (soft)

Vince Young (mental)

Amen.....Brother.

Also, in Texas' defence, they have sent some good, non-messed-up ones too:

Derrick Dockery (our boy), Michael Griffin (emerging), Derrick Johnson(good, but hasn't lived up to the hype), Nathan Vasher (good CB, great athlete), Roy Williams (great WR), Selvin Young (emerging runner in that Broncos scheme).

Ricky Williams (mental)

Mike Williams (soft)

Leonard Davis (soft)

Vince Young (mental)

This question about Texas players goes back to the 70s. Felser even wrote a column about it a couple of years ago after Mike Williams was proving to be a bust. Anyone remember Kenneth Sims? He was a #1 overall DT from Texas in the mid-80s (drafted by the Pats), and was a bust. There are a lot of those guys from Texas, although clearly there are some good guys too (Earl Campbell).

Ricky Williams had mental problems because of drugs (which has been proven by the number of times he's has beens uspended from the NFL). Not sure what Vince Young's problem is.

Ricky Wililams doesn't have mental problems because of drugs. He has a social disorder, and marijuana is a better treatment for it than paxil. Doctors who are honest about it even admit that marijuana is probably the best treatment for his disorder. However, because of our hyporcritical government and their backwards war on drugs, he's not allowed to get the best treatment for his disease, or allowed to use this non performance enhancing drug and play football.

good points.

i think texas produces awesome talents and great ball players, but they do seem to not get the kids ready for all the stuff that a pro faces.

these are kids that face the big time in school, but do so with tons of support. austin is just a really good postive place. a lot of texans (not football players) leave and just pine to go back, they love their home state and are often not comfortable outside of it.

i think it is a mix of the uni, the team, and the state culture. of course tough minded players are ready to kick ass anywhere (like the dock).

One is a closet homo, and the other is a closet, or technically out of the closet, blunt brother...

Both affects their ability to focus on their sunday responsibilities...