[OT] Baby names...

SDS

I know we are all supposed to avoid silly initials, but my wife REALLY likes a name for our little girl that has crappy initials.

Paige Marie....

but PMS for a girl is probably not desirable, but is this just overblown, overanalyzed gibberish? Sincere opinions wanted....

Would your wife notr marry you because of her new initials?

80090[/snapback]

Apples and oranges. Your child is not in a position to make the decision for herself. Think about whats best for HER, not you. Kids are cruel, some day in about 14 years, she'll come home in tears because of her initials.

How about Paige Elizabeth?

I'd be alot more concerned if it were a boy.

One of the women I used to work with named her kid Grayling, after the fish. She and her husband are bigtime into the outdoors. The other choice was Pike. Last name was Peterson.

When they asked my opinion, I told them they should just name him "Please kick my ass" because that's what they've subjected him to for at least the first few years of public school.

Sincere opinions wanted....

80085[/snapback]

Well......I laugh every time I see YOUR initials because SDS is the name of a refuse company up here.

Go with Paige and a different middle name. Seriously. My sister got harrassed because her initials were ELM. Imagine what Paige would go through with the initials PMS.

Well......I laugh every time I see YOUR initials because SDS is the name of a refuse company up here.

80099[/snapback]

SDS to me always makes me think of sodium dodecyl sulfate, a detergent commonly used in the lab to denature proteins, but then again I'm a science geek. :w00t:

This is an interesting discussion since my wife and I have been throwing names around for our child due in early January. I'll have to pay more attention now to any bad initial combinations. I have already shot down a few suggestions my wife has made solely based the potential teasing factor in the future.

but she also will probably change her last at some point.  The point is, if the name is our absolute favorite - is it that big of a deal?

80090[/snapback]

My wife didn't care for her initials. Her maiden name was Griggs, though....and then she married into my last name on top of it. (Yeah, I know, "Eeeeew, Gross!") :w00t:

There were so many things to consider with naming the kids that we didn't even consider initials until we named them. So we ended up with Kiera Elise and Alannah Ruby....

Of course, thinking about this kind of stuff takes me back to the "I Married Marge" episode on the Simpsons, when they came up with Bart's name....

I can speak from experience here. Without getting into specifics, my name made me RIPE for ribbing for the first 16 years of my life.

You deal with it, OK? It prepares you for the difficulties that life brings, and it prepares you for dealing with the many a$$wipes that confront you throughout your life. Ultimately, it's a character builder.

In the long run it's not a big deal and the kid will become a better adult as a result. Don't decide on your kid's name based on the possible reactions of a few 3rd grade goofballs, decide based on what you want the kid to ultimately become.

It worked in my case, right? :w00t:

I know we are all supposed to avoid silly initials, but my wife REALLY likes a name for our little girl that has crappy initials.

Paige Marie....

but PMS for a girl is probably not desirable, but is this just overblown, overanalyzed gibberish? Sincere opinions wanted....

80085[/snapback]

As much as I like the name...put me in the "nay" column. The formative teenage years can be hard enough without being burdened by an easily mocked name.

There was this girl I went to school with who was the person everyone picked on, her name was Jennifer Ann White, but everyone called her JAWS.

I'd say initials are very important!

80094[/snapback]

And today Jennifer Ann White is living in a trailer down by the river because of it!

In the long run just name your kids what you like the most, you can't avoid other kids making fun of them no matter how hard you try...if kids want to pick on 'em, they will. I mean, if parents are so fearful of other kids making fun of their child will they not get them eye glasses because they'll be "four eyes" or tell them not to study too hard because they don't want to be a "nerd"?

Paige Marie is a good name, even if she will be in a bad mood her entire life :w00t:

Paige Marie....

80085[/snapback]

LOL, what ever happened to praying for a healthy baby who will not develop majory health concerns later in life.

it's bad enough people can't say my Irish last name rite (not hard at all), but my initials are JZPM and a few of my buddies rearranged it to sound out like gypsum (because i can hard as rock to deal with sometimes) so you have to be careful, cuz this stuff sticks forever. I also had the misfortune of being named Justin Zane. I wonder what my parents were smoking the nite they chose that name

Paige Marie....

80085[/snapback]

Yeah, it matters... I remember the stevestojan we used to give the folks from Orchard Park Middle School when I was going to HJHS. Someone else said it, but I'm going to echo - you would probably have more of a problem if it was a boy, though.

Personally, I wouldn't let my wife take any name that sounds even remotely like a target! My sister for instance named her firstborn Colin. Yeah...

-Jeff

That's a bit different though - I think the teasing/harassment comes from school. Since women don't (traditionally) get married under the age of 18, you don't have to worry about it at all.

My parents didn't give me a middle name, so I'm just CW. Nobody ever believes me though until I show proof...

CW

but she also will probably change her last at some point.  The point is, if the name is our absolute favorite - is it that big of a deal?

80090[/snapback]

Then again, she may be a "modern" woman and NOT change her name. Kids have it tough enough as it is...give her a fighting chance out of the gate. It's not as big a deal as an adult but can be brutal up through the teenage years. Put yourself in her shoes and consider how you'd feel. Just my two cents...good luck.

Then again, she may be a "modern" woman and NOT change her name. Kids have it tough enough as it is...give her a fighting chance out of the gate. It's not as big a deal as an adult but can be brutal up through the teenage years. Put yourself in her shoes and consider how you'd feel. Just my two cents...good luck.

80237[/snapback]

Oops! This post was mine...didn't realize that I wasn't logged in. :w00t:

Our 1st daughters initials are MEG, her name is Meghan. We realized this when she was two weeks old......very proud of our little acident....err....the initials.

On the other hand we have friends with a beautifull litlle girl who's initials are SAD, how sad, I cringe every time I think about it.

One of the great things about being a parent is that you get to decide how important the initials are. Here is my .02.

Ask yourself what you are going to say to your 11 year old daughter when she comes home and tells you that she hates you for giving her those initials. If you have a good answer - the names are significant for some reason, then I think you're ok. If you won't have a good answer for her, don't do it.

I agree kids can be mean, but it's not like they won't pick on your daughter if her initials are boring - I can think of a few off the top of my head just for your last name alone :w00t:

We were going to give my son, Evan, the middle name Leo, after my husband's grandpa, but then Ev's initials would have been ELF. We decided go go with Evan Michael instead, and I'm glad we did because Evan is one of the smallest guys in his 6th grade class and would have probably been given holy heck if he was ELF.

There was this girl I went to school with who was the person everyone picked on, her name was Jennifer Ann White, but everyone called her JAWS.

I'd say initials are very important!

80094[/snapback]

My step son has the initials JAW and "Jaws" was a nickname he loved.

My oldest daugher was Amity Faith Benson - AFB - and one uncle always called her Air Force Base when she was little and she loved it.

Most people never really pay attention to initials, so go with the name you love.

If kids are going to tease her, they will find a reason. If it is not initials, it will be something else.

Just my 2 cents.

My intials are JEW

It never came up in conversations during school that I remember, but I never mentioned it either. Biggest problem was when we would have substitute teachers, they would read my first name and middle initial together, and ask if "Jackie" was here. I wouldn't answer. Then when they would ask if someone was missed, I'd raise my hand. "Name?" "Jack" It had a side benefit of them thinking I was pissed so they wouldn't call on me for anything else during class.