Edward's in the Pocket

Mr. T

I know like everyone else that Edwards got off to a slow start against the Seahawks. But something that I saw him do better than any Bills quarterback for quite some time was his slideing around in the pocket. On his TD pass to Royal you can see how he instinctively felt pressure, deftly takes a step forward while keeping his eyes downfield, and launches a perfect pass to his TE. Thats not something that can be taught, its natural.

This kid has a pretty good line in front of him, but he's going to make them look even better.

I disagree. I feel that JP has equal or greater presence.

You just didn't get to see it with the old system and OL.

Back then, when the pressure came, it was too big to evade.

You're either joking or you have been watching a different JP play for a different team.

JP never seemed to be able to sense the pressure and step up and still make a throw, or, he couldn't sense the pressure and just get rid of the ball. Inevitably he would just get sacked.

Edwards seems to have this ability. I also agree that it is a talent some QB's have and other don't.

I disagree. I feel that JP has equal or greater presence.

You just didn't get to see it with the old system and OL.

Back then, when the pressure came, it was too big to evade.

hmmm...right...holding the ball and taking sacks after 5 seconds showed a lot

Trent actually HAD a pocket all day. That has simply been rare for any Bills QB (including JP and Trent) for quite a while.

With that said, aside from the one sack (which was Trent's fault, I think) he was terrific in the pocket and certainly has better pocket presence than JP.

The original post was in regards to Trent. Does every single QB thread need to become a comparison between Trent & JP? Can't someone just post a thought about one OR the other without someone changing the intent of the thread and making unsolicited comparisons?!

I agree -- Trent has great pocket presence. That in combination with his quick release, intelligence, dedication, and a decent O-line should help to keep him generally out of harm's way.

The original post was in regards to Trent. Does every single QB thread need to become a comparison between Trent & JP? Can't someone just post a thought about one OR the other without someone changing the intent of the thread and making unsolicited comparisons?!

I agree -- Trent has great pocket presence. That in combination with his quick release, intelligence, dedication, and a decent O-line should help to keep him generally out of harm's way.

If that were true, you'd have a great point. The original post actually does compare Trent to past Bills' QBs.

...but, I hear where you are coming from, and agree.

This is a trait I saw in him in his first game vs. the Pats b/c the difference b/w him and JP in the pocket was so stark in my eyes. Some QBs can sense the pressure and avoid it, others just get flustered under pressure and eat turf more often than not.

Trent's pocket presence even at this relatively early stage reminds me a bit of... Dan Marino. Dude was just hard to get to. There were so many times when Bruce was THIS close to pounding Mr. Isatoner only to have a side shuffle and quick pass. It made the times when Bruce did get him (still sacked him quite a few times, but it could've been so many more if not for Marino's attributes) a little sweeter. Not saying TE=DM... obviously not. But the awareness/avoiding the hit and getting the ball away are similar.

Trent actually HAD a pocket all day. That has simply been rare for any Bills QB (including JP and Trent) for quite a while.

With that said, aside from the one sack (which was Trent's fault, I think) he was terrific in the pocket and certainly has better pocket presence than JP.

What he said, welcome back!

GO BILLS

If that were true, you'd have a great point. The original post actually does compare Trent to past Bills' QBs.

...but, I hear where you are coming from, and agree.

Actually I was comparing him to JP, Bledsoe, Johnson, and even Flutie. Even Flutie when he felt pressure would simply take off on his feet, wildly scrambling. Sometimes he would make something happen, alot of times he wouldn't give the play a chance to develope.

Kelly had a sense of the pocket, but he was very slow footed and many times couldn't get out of his own way, let alone move away from the pass rush.

So there, comparing Trent to many of the past Bills QBs was my intent.

Actually I was comparing him to JP, Bledsoe, Johnson, and even Flutie. Even Flutie when he felt pressure would simply take off on his feet, wildly scrambling. Sometimes he would make something happen, alot of times he wouldn't give the play a chance to develope.

Kelly had a sense of the pocket, but he was very slow footed and many times couldn't get out of his own way, let alone move away from the pass rush.

So there, comparing Trent to many of the past Bills QBs was my intent.

Well, I certainly agree he has better pocket awareness than JP and Bledsoe (and RJ). And, I see what you mean about Skin Flutie. He may have had decent presence, but his choices were sometimes suspect. In Kelly's best days, he looked pretty good back there. Toward the end, though, he did have some problems.

So, yes, so far, given the limited number of starts we have to observe, Trent may be better in the pocket than all of them...but, let's give it a little while to see how it plays out.

Obviously, one area where Trent needs to improve, is in his ability to use his feet to pick up some yards. Another area where I have some concern continues to be his play in bad weather. I think (and hope...and pray) that he will continue to make progress in those areas, too.

Well, I certainly agree he has better pocket awareness than JP and Bledsoe (and RJ). And, I see what you mean about Skin Flutie. He may have had decent presence, but his choices were sometimes suspect. In Kelly's best days, he looked pretty good back there. Toward the end, though, he did have some problems.

So, yes, so far, given the limited number of starts we have to observe, Trent may be better in the pocket than all of them...but, let's give it a little while to see how it plays out.

Obviously, one area where Trent needs to improve, is in his ability to use his feet to pick up some yards. Another area where I have some concern continues to be his play in bad weather. I think (and hope...and pray) that he will continue to make progress in those areas, too.

I watched the game again last night and one of the things that I took note of was when the rain actually stopped. Obviously TE's play in the elements is key to his success down the road and I was surprised that the rain lasted well into the 3rd Quarter...point being their were several nice plays from the offense in the wet conditions. (several not so nice plays as well, but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless)