Positional Needs in the 2009 Draft

Astrobot

As I turn my attention forward to next year's draft positional needs for DraftTek's first 2009 Draft in October (it's not an obsession; it's what I do for http://www.drafttek.com/ and my own amusement), I am ready to suggest an initial Positional Needs list to DraftTek.

Round 1: TE

Round 2: OC

Round 3: WR

Round 4: OLB

Round 5: DT

Round 6: SS

Round 7: FB

RATIONALE:

CB ---In the 2008 Draft the Bills took 3 Corners to address a weaker CB position--Leodis McKelvin in RD#1, Reggie Corner in RD#4, and Kennard Cox in RD#7. Next year, I'll be surprised if the Bills take any CB's, because it has become one of the deeper positions on the team. With McGee, Greer, Youboty, McKelvin, and Corner, we now have a strong, deep stable of CB's. PREDICTION: NO CB's in the 2009 Draft for Buffalo, although a Safety could be a 6th-Round pick for depth.

WR---Many thought our first drafted player would be a wide receiver, and the Bills braintrust did nothing to dispel the rumor that Devin Thomas would be a Bill. As it turned out, no WR's were picked until Round 2, then WR's went at Pick #33 (Donnie Avery to Houston), Pick #34 (Devin Thomas to Redskins), Pick #36 (Jordy Nelson to Packers) and then #41 (James Hardy to the Bills). Hardy looked promising though somewhat green in preseason, but showed enough so that the Bills have a decent stock of WR's. If Evans gets his new contract (and there's no evidence to the contrary), we'll have Evans, Hardy, Parrish, Reed, Jenkins, and Johnson. One more tall receiver might be needed, as Hardy and Johnson (6'2") are the only WR's over 6 feet. PREDICTION: One mid-Round WR, maybe 3rd Round in the 2009 Draft.

TE---Royal is looking good after one game, and looked like the only TE available for a time last week. Schouman may become a good passing target, but he's 223 pounds and no blocker to speak of. We waived Courtney Anderson, who had the right specs without having the right ability to go with it. Likewise for Teyo Johnson and Tim Massaquoi. We still have Jonathan Stupar on the Practice Squad and an injured Derek Fine, our 4th Round pick last year. Anybody think we'd make a play for Shockey? TE will be a high priority in '09. PREDICTION: 1st Round in the 2009 Draft. Brandon Pettigrew from Oklahoma State is currently the best TE, but Chase Coffman, Travis Beckum, Ryan Purvis, and Bear Pascoe will all be Round 1-3 draftees.

DT---We're feeling like we have a solid #1 in Stroud, who has been a menace in the backfield and occupier of 2 linemen on every play. We also have seen Kyle Williams beat out Johnson and McCargo. We even saw last year starter Tripplett and top pass rusher Jefferson released. Corey Mace is on the Practice Squad. It feels like we're one player away here, although we are 5th in the AFC in Rushing Defense (Source) and 7th in Pass Defense (Source). PREDICTION: DT in 5th Round in the 2009 Draft.

O-Line---Jason Peters in back, but his understudy Kirk Chambers played well against All-Pro Kerney in Game 1. Peters is close to passing Walter Jones as the best LT in football. Langston Walker played well in his temporary LT role and can move back to his natural position at RT. LG Dockery moved to the 2nd level several times, and OT Demetrius Bell looks promising, particularly since Matt Murphy is injured. RG Brad Butler is keeping Jason Whittle on the bench, and signed an extension this past June. Butler has the talent to be among the top 6 RG's. Preston looked pretty good against some first string competition when in there in preseason, but is a backup at best. The jury is out on Melvin Fowler and his contribution to this line, particularly on 3rd and short. We still need a big, smart, tough Center. Antoine Caldwell of Alabama would currently be a good pick, with great size, high pancake blocks and low sack totals, although he was suspended for the receipt of free textbooks (I didn't know of a college center who reads textbooks, so this was a new one). Alex Mack will likely end up in Round 2. Jonathan Luigs could be a late 1st Rounder. All are Rimington Award watch list players. PREDICTION: OC will be 2nd Round in the 2009 Draft.

Linebacker---The Bills may have one of the top 3 LB corps in football. Poz has played only 4 regular season games, but looks the part in the middle. Kawicka Mitchell, who turns 29 on October 10, is a monster. DiGiorgio and Ellison have valuable playing time as starters. While they are primarily backups, both play reliably when they're in there. Angelo Crowell and Alvin Bowen are on IR. Crowell may not be a Bill next year, and Bowen could be the heir apparent if he recovers fully. Costanzo and Corto look like nice backups. There's room for a sure fire OLB if Crowell is done, more likely a free agent because that's what Fewell and Jauron like. OLB will be 4th Round in the 2009 draft.

Fullback--So far, no good. If the Bills stick with a fullback, he better catch the ball when it's thrown his way. That hasn't been the case with cartoonist Darian Barnes. Originally a UDFA signed by the Jersey Giants, he went on to play for the Bucs, Cowboys, Fins, and Jets. Maybe the other five teams knew what they were doing. PREDICTION: FB will be 7th Round in the 2009 draft. Chris Pressley of Wisconsin looks okay, but each prospect has a downside this year. Nevertheless, we can have our pick because FB's a dying breed.

SUMMARY:

Thanks in advance for your help.

Astrobot

Bills Correspondent

www.DraftTek.com

Thanks in advance for your help.

Astrobot

Bills Correspondent

www.DraftTek.com

I think you have our 'needs' mentioned in order of importance (I would put OLB & DT ahead of WR), but is there a TE worth the 32nd pick, or a center worth the 64th pick?

My order would be (based on the liklihood that a worthy player would be available with the pick):

OLB

TE

C

DT

WR

OL

SS

If the Bills re-sign Evans, I don't think they do not need to draft a WR. Let's see what Hardy & Johnson can do first. Also, I think they need to acquire a QB, as Losman is likely gone after this season. I agree that TE may be the single biggest need on this team right now. Finally, you can never have too many lineman or cornerbacks. Here is what I'd do:

Round 2: LB

Round 3: OL

Round 4: DT

Round 5: QB

Round 6: CB

Round 7: TE

After Carefully reviewing the Bills' current needs and depth at each position,

I wager that the draft structure will erupt in a manner not unlike this:

Round 1: CB

Round 2: CB

Round 3: CB

Round 4: CB

Round 5: CB

Round 6: CB

Round 7: CB or S

Right now I`d say rd 1 a De . With Schobel and Denney getting alittle long in the tooth,this is my pick. Rd 2 a Te with a little more speed. Who are the top D- ends this year? Anything after the first 2 rounds I`d have to wait on as the season goes by.

The top dends this year probably George Selvie from USF, and Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech.

You can make a case for Greg Hardy as well, and there's a chance all 3 of those guys go in the top 15. Greg Middleton from Indiana is someone I'd keep my eye on as the season progresses. He had a strong 07 with 16 sacks. He doesn't have great height, and not the most athletic guy, but he holds position well, and can get after the qb with good technique. Very good tackler as well. Normally when looking for edge rushers. I'm looking at the first step, but Middleton is a guy who plays with uncanny awareness.

1: OL

2: OL

3: OL

4-7: Whatever the hot position is, according to everyone on here.

But seriously.

1: TE - Jermaine Gresham if he decides to leave as a Junior, kids phenomenal

2: OLB - Either Marcus Freeman or Tyrone McKenzie

3: C - A.Q. Shipley

4: WR - Brandon LaFell, if he keeps up what he's doing, I'd love him in the slot

5: OG - Roland Martin, for the sole fact I rarely follow O-Linemen in college, except for Penn State, Michigan State and Syracuse guys.

6: DE - Orion Martin

7: CB, WR: Coye Francies, Jeremy Gilchrist.

Yeah... I follow college football, to me, this would be a phenomenal draft.

The top dends this year probably George Selvie from USF, and Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech.

You can make a case for Greg Hardy as well, and there's a chance all 3 of those guys go in the top 15. Greg Middleton from Indiana is someone I'd keep my eye on as the season progresses. He had a strong 07 with 16 sacks. He doesn't have great height, and not the most athletic guy, but he holds position well, and can get after the qb with good technique. Very good tackler as well. Normally when looking for edge rushers. I'm looking at the first step, but Middleton is a guy who plays with uncanny awareness.

Don't forget Tyson Jackson out of LSU. He could end up being late 1st round material (where we'll be picking :thumbsup:)

i think CB is still a consideration - greer will be a UFA so his spot will need to be filled if not resigned

as well, the bills will probably look to add at least 2 backup OL and 1 starter via the draft and FA if guys aren't retained - i believe that fowler, chambers, and preston are all impending UFA's

how i'd rank the needs (starter needs in bold):

1) TE (i'm also hoping to see this finally addressed in the 1st) - schouman's roster spot

2) OC (fowler will be a UFA and an upgrade is required) - fowler's roster spot

3) OLB (ellison could be upgraded, but at worst an upgrade over costanzo would help) - costanzo's roster spot

4) OT (need to find a #3) - chambers' roster spot

5) OG (need to find an adequate backup who can also cover at OC) - preston's roster spot

6) QB (losman will be gone, so need to find a #3, assuming a vet fills #2 role, although hamden could step up to that spot) - JP's roster spot

7) S (someone to push wilson and scott on ST's would be useful) - wilson/scott's roster spot

8) CB (depth player, mostly ST's) - greer's roster spot

ideally, a couple of these needs will be sorted in FA (would be good to find a starting C/top interior backup and a #2 QB in free agency) and/or simply resigning some of these impending free agents will negate the need to fill the position

i think CB is still a consideration - greer will be a UFA so his spot will need to be filled if not resigned

as well, the bills will probably look to add at least 2 backup OL and 1 starter via the draft and FA if guys aren't retained - i believe that fowler, chambers, and preston are all impending UFA's

how i'd rank the needs (starter needs in bold):

1) TE (i'm also hoping to see this finally addressed in the 1st) - schouman's roster spot

2) OC (fowler will be a UFA and an upgrade is required) - fowler's roster spot

3) OLB (ellison could be upgraded, but at worst an upgrade over costanzo would help) - costanzo's roster spot

4) OT (need to find a #3) - chambers' roster spot

5) OG (need to find an adequate backup who can also cover at OC) - preston's roster spot

6) QB (losman will be gone, so need to find a #3, assuming a vet fills #2 role, although hamden could step up to that spot) - JP's roster spot

7) S (someone to push wilson and scott on ST's would be useful) - wilson/scott's roster spot

8) CB (depth player, mostly ST's) - greer's roster spot

ideally, a couple of these needs will be sorted in FA (would be good to find a starting C/top interior backup and a #2 QB in free agency) and/or simply resigning some of these impending free agents will negate the need to fill the position

Wow. On the money once again. This comes very close to my ideal draft, but "murra" brings us a dose of reality, wouldn't you say?

Edit: DT Should definitely be on this list, especially wrt the McCargo situation.

OLB-with crowell's situation, this gets bumped to the top of the list.

TE-all we have are a stable of barely serviceable TE's who can't stay healthy

QB-JP may well be gone after this year so we will need a capable back-up to develop in case Trent goes south.

DE-this will be a major need in years to come but we can probably get by another year or so with the aging Schobel

WR-if they don't sign Lee, this gets bumped to No. 1.

OC-Fowler is just medoicre, this position cries out for an upgrade.

First, are you suppose to take free agency into account? If so, I think we need to replace Crowell through FA next offseason, as I foresee us looking to enter next season as a serious contnedor, meaning no longer looking for rookies to start immediately. And OLB will be key position to upgrade.

After that, we need to build solid depth on in the interior of our offensive line. So a top-tier center would be great or even a monster guard.

We'll have extended Evans by then, so too much dough will be tied up in our WRs to draft another one high. Plus, Hardy will be coming into his own by year's end, hopefully.

I really like Derek Fine, and the coaches really like the other Derek, so I don't think they'll take a tight end in the first, even if there is a TE worth a 1st round pick.

Another DT will be needed, especially if the reports of shopping McCargo are true, and I think they are.

We just spend a t 3rd on Ellis, and I think he is going to becoming a good player, so this has to be a position addressed late if at all.

We need depth at safety, but I think we have our starting duo in place for the forseeeable future.

I'd go with:

1. OLB

2. C/G

3. C/G

4. DT

5. TE

6. S

7. OLB

I'd go with (in order of importance) OLB, OC, TE. However, it all depends on the rankings of who is available when we select. Since it is VERY uncommon to have a center worth a 1st round pick, and with Crowell being out, i think OLB is the round 1 importance. Round 2 would be a toss up between C and TE if any are worth it. If not, then DT in round 2.

However, it may be a moot point to take a DT in round 2, because only 1st round DTs make you a championship team (except when they dont).

Before the season, I'd definitely say TE was the most important to fill, even with Crowell gone. But, Royal is starting to be more involved in the offense and Trent really likes him. If Royal keeps this up, I think we should either go OC or OLB as the first need. If not, Ellison is more of a solid player than Royal, and I'd take a TE first.

Top 5 needs are:

OLB

TE

OC

DT

OG

Its early but...

Round:

1: OLB

2: TE

3: DE

4: WR

5: C

6: S

7: FB

Although I think that OLB, TE, and DE are interchangeable as our top needs as of right now. Of course if Ellis gets some playing time and shows promise, we can hold off on drafting a DE for another year. But we definately need a OLB, especially if Crowell leaves, and we really need a pass catching TE for Trent. It would add another dimension to our Offence.

I'd go

1. TE

2. C

3. OLB

It'll be interesting to see how the class of 2009 pans out, but at this point, if C Alex Mack of Cal is half as good some are saying, he's worthy of a first round selection. I know center's aren't normally first rounders, but he'll be a starter from Day 1.

TE Brandon Pettigrew has some character concerns, but is a physical player with very good hands. Buffalo needs size at the TE position and Pettigrew provides that.

I think we're overestimating the LB position, especially given how LB's can be replaced in the C2 defense. I think the Bills rely less on FA as the team is built. That's not to say I think Ellison is the answer, but plenty of players have stepped into the position and performed well. IMO, LB's out of college are more apt to be available than TE or C.

I'd go

1. TE

2. C

3. OLB

It'll be interesting to see how the class of 2009 pans out, but at this point, if C Alex Mack of Cal is half as good some are saying, he's worthy of a first round selection. I know center's aren't normally first rounders, but he'll be a starter from Day 1.

TE Brandon Pettigrew has some character concerns, but is a physical player with very good hands. Buffalo needs size at the TE position and Pettigrew provides that.

I think we're overestimating the LB position, especially given how LB's can be replaced in the C2 defense. I think the Bills rely less on FA as the team is built. That's not to say I think Ellison is the answer, but plenty of players have stepped into the position and performed well. IMO, LB's out of college are more apt to be available than TE or C.

The Jets drafted a C in the first round, in Nick Mangold only a couple years ago.

I think a key for you to meet an October deadline is to wait as long as you can to see what type of offense the Turk decides to run

It looks to me like he is sorely tempted to actually want to have the spread offense with 3 WRs be our base and as this would get Parrish on the field more this is a logical thing to do. In addition, I think Lynch is actually a more productive rusher from the 1 back spread than in a smash mouth FB lead running game.

You can get the extra WR through a method of dropping the FB or even through not making use of the TE as receiver. However, this would be quite different than what the Bills have historically done and the team seems to have hard time committing to either approach.

They are flirting with it as we really have one functional TE on the roster and no functional FBs as passing or short yardage threats.

I would watch how the team settles into a particular O style over the next month. My sense is that Royal is actually a good enough receiver that the team is going to be forced to use the TE as a pass option and this will heighten the need to get some depth at this position as really Schouman has not been a consistent enough producer to replace Royal as a starter if we need a back-up.

I'd go

1. TE

2. C

3. OLB

I concur. Alex Mack is supposed to be one of the better center prospects in awhile. So depending on how things pan out, I think it will be C, TE and a Crowell replacement...not sure of the order because it depends on who's available and free agency.

I certainly don't think we take a WR in or before round 3.

Right now I`d say rd 1 a De . With Schobel and Denney getting alittle long in the tooth,this is my pick. Rd 2 a Te with a little more speed. Who are the top D- ends this year? Anything after the first 2 rounds I`d have to wait on as the season goes by.

I'll pick you up from summer school after you learn how to properly use the english language when writing.

I concur. Alex Mack is supposed to be one of the better center prospects in awhile. So depending on how things pan out, I think it will be C, TE and a Crowell replacement...not sure of the order because it depends on who's available and free agency.

I certainly don't think we take a WR in or before round 3.

Chris Spencer of Seattle, Jeff Faine originally from New Orleans, and Damien Woody first of New England* all have gone in the first in recent years.

It's a small sample size, but those three are pretty good, though Woody is the RT with NYJ now.

I'd like to see a center with mobility and the ability to handle bigger DT's. Running up the middle has been an issue, and even though Fowler isn't the only reason, he's a liability in run blocking. Mack is most likely the top talent at the position next April. It's a long way off, but C may be the team's weakness, and that's not a bad thing.

Wow! I really appreciate all of your input. I made an Excel spreadsheet of all of your opinions, ranking a 1st Round position 7 points, 2nd Round 6 points, etc., all the way down to 7th Round suggestions getting 1 point. For example If 8 of you wanted OLB in the 1st Round (7 points), that got 56. In fact, 8 of you mentioned OLB as 1st Rounder.

This is when it pays to have your very own Draft Droid.

The Results Are:

Round 1: OLB-56 pts., TE-28 pts., OC-14 pts., DE-14 pts.

Round 2: TE-42 pts., OC-24 pts., OLB-18 pts., DE-6 pts.

Round 3: OLB-20 pts., TE-20 pts., OC-15 pts., OL-10 pts.

Round 4: OC-20 pts., DE--8 pts., WR-8 pts., OLB-4 pts.

Round 5: OL-12 pts., QB-3 pts., OC-3 pts., DE-3 pts., TE-3 pts.

Round 6: OL-6 pts., QB-4 pts., DE-2 pts., OC-2 pts.

Round 7: WR-2 pts., TE-1 pt., OLB-1 pt., DE-1 pt., OL-1 pt.

Most often mentioned: OLB (99 pts.), TE (94). These would be our Top Priority Needs.

OC (70 pts.) is a Priority Need.

DE (39 pts. ) is a Need.

OL (19), QB (12), and WR(10) round out our Needs.

Your subjective opinions were also great.

It's a great point that the Bills might replace OLB, say, via FA and not the draft.

Another great point was that a great OC like Mack might supercede the OLB availability in RD#1 and be better value.

Our first draft is in October, but I wanted to dipstick the Wall (That doesn't sound dirty). I believe that the consensus of our group did very well picking our needs last year, and certainly beats one "expert" dictating our team's Positional Needs.

Thanks!

Astro

Bills Correspondent

www.DraftTek.com

If we re-sign Crowell, we can get away with ignoring the LB position entirely. As for McCargo, he played well for large portions of this year. I don't see a need to take away his roster spot if you're going to give it to some 4th round pick who's going to have a so-so career.

An elite DE would be a huge addition for this defense, but DE isn't really a need position.

At WR, I'd be comfortable with Evans and Parrish as the speed guys, and Hardy and Johnson as the big, physical guys. Josh Reed provides depth.

That said, I could envision the following draft:

1. Mack, C

2. TE

3. OG

4. QB

5. FB

6. S

7. OL

That 3rd round OG could provide depth at the three interior positions. He might eventually be able to beat out one of our OGs for a starting position.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the team should do with that 3rd round pick. If you use it on a DE, you have to ask yourself how much better you think that 3rd round pick is going to be than any of the four DEs in our rotation. Ditto with DT and the four guys there (unless you've given up on McCargo). If we re-sign Crowell, then using the 3rd on a LB would just give you more depth. This team clearly has no business using a 3rd on a CB, Greer or no Greer. We're pretty much set at the starting safety positions.

On offense, it's going to be hard for a 3rd round pick to break into the starting lineup. I'm already filling the C and TE positions with my first two picks. So that leaves QB (Edwards), WR (Evans, Hardy, Parrish, and Johnson), LT (Peters) LG (Dockery), OC (1st rounder), RG (Butler) and RT (Walker). I don't see a huge chance of a 3rd round pick providing a large upgrade over any of those guys.

Given this situation, the Bills should pay less attention to need than usual when their third round pick comes up. Instead, they should look for a guy who might have a significantly better career than you'd normally expect from a third round pick.

First, are you suppose to take free agency into account? If so, I think we need to replace Crowell through FA next offseason, as I foresee us looking to enter next season as a serious contnedor, meaning no longer looking for rookies to start immediately. And OLB will be key position to upgrade.

After that, we need to build solid depth on in the interior of our offensive line. So a top-tier center would be great or even a monster guard.

We'll have extended Evans by then, so too much dough will be tied up in our WRs to draft another one high. Plus, Hardy will be coming into his own by year's end, hopefully.

I really like Derek Fine, and the coaches really like the other Derek, so I don't think they'll take a tight end in the first, even if there is a TE worth a 1st round pick.

Another DT will be needed, especially if the reports of shopping McCargo are true, and I think they are.

We just spend a t 3rd on Ellis, and I think he is going to becoming a good player, so this has to be a position addressed late if at all.

We need depth at safety, but I think we have our starting duo in place for the forseeeable future.

I'd go with:

1. OLB

2. C/G

3. C/G

4. DT

5. TE

6. S

7. OLB

I agree with you to a point. LB is one position where guys have traditionally come in and been able to play very well as rookies. That said, Derek Fine is an H-Back, so I do see a need there, though Royal seems to be acquitting himself nicely in the passing game. We could use help on the inside of the line © as well as greater depth there. I do agree with what another posted pointed out- that our DEs, while a decent enough unit, are starting to get a little long in the tooth. Let's not forget that next year is a GREAT draft for LBs, so I see us going there in Rd 1 with Crowell gone.

Round 1: LB

Round 2: TE

Round 3: OL

Round 4: DE

Round 6: QB

Round 7: S

I'd go

1. TE

2. C

3. OLB

good points.....as well with regards to the OLB position, the #3 backer often doesn't see the field a tremendous amount to begin with (ex. ellison was likely in for less then 50% of the game vs. seattle) and that lowers the impact they have on the game.......with the increased use of nickel and dime in NFL defenses the #3 LB has become less important

an elite TE has a greater impact on the game then an elite #3 LB