Peters will report Saturday

Coach Tuesday

But I thought the Bills would talk contract until he shows up to camp?

Who wants to bet that the Bills either waive the fines or include them in his next contract, and by the time he signs, either during the year or before next season, it will be an enormous contract, the biggest in Bills history, and he will be one of the highest paid LTs in the game? Thereby showing that, although Parker and Peters were jerks, and totally stupid, and hurting his team, the holdout ultimately got him more money. Or, at the very least, didn't hurt him.

Fine, but Brandon won big too. He definitely proved he couldn't be pushed around. Your post suggests the Bills gave something here, and as I see it, they didn't give an inch. New GMs get tested. Peters/Parker (Spiderman?) tested Brandon and lost. Crowell tested Brandon and lost. Hopefully players will stop testing him now. Good precedent by the Front Office was set IMO.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who wants to bet that the Bills either waive the fines or include them in his next contract, and by the time he signs, either during the year or before next season, it will be an enormous contract, the biggest in Bills history, and he will be one of the highest paid LTs in the game? Thereby showing that, although Parker and Peters were jerks, and totally stupid, and hurting his team, the holdout ultimately got him more money. Or, at the very least, didn't hurt him.

He would have gotten the big contract next year in any case. As for the fines, the Bills should enforce them this year and before they agree to a new deal, to send a message to Peters that holding-out was stupid, cost him money, and the team aggravation.

buffalobills.com update

With NFL.com reporting that Bills Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters will be ending his holdout and return to the Bills, team Chief Operating Officer Russ Brandon issued the following statement.

“It is our understanding that Jason has filed a re-instatement letter with the National Football League and that he is reporting to One Bills Drive tomorrow morning,” said Brandon.

Peters has been holding out since the first day of training camp on July.

I didn't. Just guessing if he shows Saturday he will not play. Someone will have to be cut once he is activated and I don't see the Bills doing that right now. Just a hunch, nothing more.

I thought there was some change to the rules that you had heard about. If he's on the roster, regardless of whether he's activated or not, he gets paid. And as a vested veteran (4 or more accrued years in the NFL), if he's on an opening day roster, his entire salary for the year is guaranteed.

The real question is whether he will get a bigger extension after pulling this crap instead of renegotiating under normal conditions during the year.

Great. That makes it all OK then. Someone else will have to be released. That must make all his teammates feel better about fat ass coming back. :w00t:

I know one guy will not be very happy. Works his ass off all camp to make the team, then gone. Nice isn't it?

This really angers me to do it 1 day before a game just to get his paycheck for the week but um you couldnt have reported at the beginning of the week you fattty! Ahh this is so angering but ohh well if he can get back in shape and play like a pro bowler and waits until next year to get a new contract without another holdout then i might forgive him but way to be a distraction one day before a game and not just a game the season opener of the year where you are supposed to make the playoffs :w00t: ahh this furiates me. But all i am going to say what took you so long but anyways you better play well!

He would have gotten the big contract next year in any case. As for the fines, the Bills should enforce them this year and before they agree to a new deal, to send a message to Peters that holding-out was stupid, cost him money, and the team aggravation.

I agree he would have gotten it. IMO, now he will get a little more. It's just an opinion, and it will be impossible to tell. I would be shocked if the Bills make him pay the fines and that a condition of his return was that he didn't have to pay them. But it's possible he will pay them. Usually, the players don't in situations like this.

I thought there was some change to the rules that you had heard about. If he's on the roster, regardless of whether he's activated or not, he gets paid. And as a vested veteran (4 or more accrued years in the NFL), if he's on an opening day roster, his entire salary for the year is guaranteed.

Ok - thanks. Do the Bills have to take him off the the did not report list immediately and put him on the roster? If so, someone will be cut tomorrow.

I'll take that bet. They'll enforce the fines. And I'd also bet anything you'd like that the only 'contract talks' were, "Hey, Peters, get it through your thick skull - there ain't gonna be any talks at all until you get your fat lazy ass in here and start doing your job!"

And he better play at a level that's so absolutely sky-high - I mean absolutely right the !@#$ outa his cleats - or they'll be no talks for next year, either. If he doesn't he'll have lost plenty of money. If he does, guy's still an ass hole in my book, but if the Bills think he's worth it then I don't care how much they pay him.

Ok - thanks. Do the Bills have to take him off the the did not report list immediately and put him on the roster? If so, someone will be cut tomorrow.

Depending on who gets cut, it could be a double switcharoo. Release someone on the roster....they clear waivers, then put that guy on the PS and dump some other poor dude.

The real question is whether he will get a bigger extension after pulling this crap instead of renegotiating under normal conditions during the year.

Right. It's something we as fans will probably never know.

It's entirely possible, although few will admit it or agree with it, that BOTH Russ Brandon and Eugene Parker did the right thing, and both won, because this is a unique situation. Brandon didn't really cave, and likely won't have to pay Peters this year. He didn't look weak. He held up against one of the tough guys. Peters only missed one game (depending on the shape he is in) and the Bills will eventually lock him up. Simultaneously, Parker did well for his client. Parker's job is only to get his client the most money. Chances are, he did that. IMO, it will be more than he would have gotten without this holdout. Ultimately, the Bills did talk before Jason agreed to come to camp. So it really could be a case of both of them sticking to their guns and getting their jobs done under unusual circumstances. Actually, that is what I think happened here.

I also think that it is very likely the Crowell situation had something to do with this. The locker room could have been turning on the management. The morale could have been lowered going into the season. For the first time, the fans were turning on the management. They could kill a lot of birds by giving in a little bit behind the scenes to Parker, getting Jason into camp, re-invigorating the team and the fans just before the season starts, etc. I think this helps the locker room a lot, knowing Peters is back, which overcomes the Crowell problem.