Crowell now on IR

VABills

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never know with situations like this. What if Crowell met with team Docs, and they advised him and/or the Bills that he'd need more extensive surgery, or that if he only got it scoped that he'd risk re-injuring it when he came back? Maybe he chose to try the scope?

We have no way of knowing what was said. We only know he met with team doctors and then decided to have the surgery even though he is in a contract year and therefore has every incentive to be on the field. I gotta believe that whatever news they gave him, it wasn't good. This is what DJ said, he sounds pretty sour about it, especially where he says that Crowell "elected" to have surgery. Sounds like Dick thinks he didn't really need to have the surgery.

“Angelo has elected to have knee surgery,” said head coach Dick Jauron. “We’ll know more about that as we move forward, but he is out for the game and that’s a surprise.”

Jauron said it will be a scope procedure which in most cases takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks to recover. But what made the decision so surprising was there weren’t any signs that he was leaning toward surgery.

“It came pretty much out of the blue and it was certainly nothing that we saw coming, but that’s kind of the way our business is,” said Jauron. “He was not in for anything other than his normal treatment.”

looks like we're moving on. Crowell apparently isn't in our longterm plans. He can't stay healthy enough for the coaches to rely on him and now he kind of stabs the team in the back right before the opener. Not sure putting him on IR is the right thing to do though. Jauron is clearly ticked off in the video. I wonder if the union will have a problem with this?

Retaliation.

It sure the !@#$ is...

The team was pissed he decided to have surgery 3 days before the opener, when it has been bothering him the last 2 training camps, without providing any indication he was thinking about it.

Screw him and Peters! :lol::lol::lol:

looks like we're moving on. Crowell apparently isn't in our longterm plans. He can't stay healthy enough for the coaches to rely on him and now he kind of stabs the team in the back right before the opener. Not sure putting him on IR is the right thing to do though. Jauron is clearly ticked off in the video. I wonder if the union will have a problem with this?

I don't know what the union would base their case upon- If Crow's issue was indeed lingering, he should have gotten the surgery earlier. It doesn't seem like there was any major discovery that would prompt surgery RIGHT BEFORE THE GD OPENER! but if there was, the Bills can't just wait around and hopes he plays well in a month. This whole thing just sucks....

It sure the !@#$ is...

The team was pissed he decided to have surgery 3 days before the opener, when it has been bothering him the last 2 training camps, without providing any indication he was thinking about it.

Screw him and Peters! :lol::lol::lol:

It really is the only thing that makes sense. If this wasn't meant to send a message of some sort, they could have put him on the PUP list, allowing him to come back in 6 weeks (per Tim Graham's blog on espn.com).

I like how the Bills acted quickly and Im sure Crowell never would have thought things would have played out like this. This along with how the Bills are handling the Peters situation sends a very loud message that they are in charge- not the players.

Agree. The message is, if you are not team first, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

The Pats* FO has played heartless hardball for years with their players and have a few SB trophies to show for it. It CAN work.

We should be playing hardball with Peters not a guy who shows up to camp and practice. Brandon ought to call Jason's agent and let him know that if his client doesn't report by Sunday morning, then he should plan to sit out the next 3 years!

You may be onto something there - in fact its possible that after being backed into a corner by Crowell they decided to use the situation to their advantage to gain leverage with Peters. Use the opportunity to show their bigger fish (Peters) that they ain't playin'.

You never know with situations like this. What if Crowell met with team Docs, and they advised him and/or the Bills that he'd need more extensive surgery, or that if he only got it scoped that he'd risk re-injuring it when he came back? Maybe he chose to try the scope?

The story line says: "after consulting with team doctors". That tells me the injury is more significant than originally reported. He may have tried the scope to see if that would help the pain, but the team doctors may have found something else. He also may have been trying to play through it during camp/practice/preseason, but couldn't do it anymore.

I don't see the front office as being vindictive and I don't see Angelo as being vindictive. There's definitely more to this than is being reported. The team wouldn't willingly put a player on IR who can be a significant contributor to wins. So they think the injury is more severe, and the results of the scope may have shown it.