Big Time (LAMP) Thread

plenzmd1

As many here may know, I just recently quit smoking, May the 8th to be exact. I started smoking when I was 23(i know what an idiot) and smoked bout a pack of Red Cowboy killers every day for the next 22 years . To go along with that, bout the only exercise i got in those 22 years was hoisting twelve ounces of liguid to my gullet while sitting on the couch.

Well today I made a half marathon, the Va Beach Rock and Roll. It was hot and humid as a sum B word, but I still made it. My goal was 2:11.00, and i did 2:10.58. LOL That equates to 10 minute miles. I know not fast by any means, but when I started running mid June, I could only do a mile in 14 minutes.

Ahh, the beers will be flowing tonight fellas!! Hope everyone is having a great holiday.

Oh yea, for those who no believe me, here is the link to my splits, I was bib #22369!!

http://www.runraceresults.com/LiveElite/Default.aspx

way to go man....wish i had your drive...i had one eye set on the 8k at the richmond marathon...but dont think i will meet that goal....way to stick with it, you should be proud

As many here may know, I just recently quit smoking, May the 8th to be exact. I started smoking when I was 23(i know what an idiot) and smoked bout a pack of Red Cowboy killers every day for the next 22 years . To go along with that, bout the only exercise i got in those 22 years was hoisting twelve ounces of liguid to my gullet while sitting on the couch.

Well today I made a half marathon, the Va Beach Rock and Roll. It was hot and humid as a sum B word, but I still made it. My goal was 2:11.00, and i did 2:10.58. LOL That equates to 10 minute miles. I know not fast by any means, but when I started running mid June, I could only do a mile in 14 minutes.

Ahh, the beers will be flowing tonight fellas!! Hope everyone is having a great holiday.

Oh yea, for those who no believe me, here is the link to my splits, I was bib #22369!!

AWESOME, MAN!!

I'm doing the Chicago half in two weeks! Congratulations!!

Outstanding!!! An amazing accomplishment considering what you were doing just 4 months ago.

I was there, too, with the family and would have bought you some of those after-race curls as we stayed to watch the B-52s on the beach.

Meh, call me when it's a full marathon.

Just kidding, bud, nice work! Always warms the heart to hear stories like that.

LOL, you Docs are never satisfied are you. BTW, going for a physical this morning, think my Doc is gunna poop his pants when I tell him I made a half

Great job. Keep running, not many things feel as good as a runners high. Little advice for the future, go out the first 5k a little slower, it will make all the difference for the last 10.

I agree, but whats weird is I do not think we were going that fast. I signed up to run with a pace person at 2.07, and was just following them. But it was so dam humid out, I starting walking the water breaks to make sure I got enough liquid in me and ON me, they did not,and that was a big reason my pace slowed down. Man, there were people breaking down all over that race, and I didn't want to be one of em LOL

I was there, too, with the family and would have bought you some of those after-race curls as we stayed to watch the B-52s on the beach.

We were thinking of going, then I got a few beers and burgers in my belly, and didn't feel like getting on the bike and riding down there. How were they, and did you get there to see the motels??

We were thinking of going, then I got a few beers and burgers in my belly, and didn't feel like getting on the bike and riding down there. How were they, and did you get there to see the motels??

The Motels' set was short but they sounded good. The B-52s were fun as usual - Fred seems to enjoy himself when he's out there. I saw them earlier this year at the National and that was a good time, too.

Congratulations man that is fantastic. You have alot to be proud of.

Great stuff!

I was in the same boat about six years ago. I smoked like crazy, but I quit when my daughter was born. I gained about 70 pounds after that. I went from a healthy 180 to about 250. On a 5'10" frame, I looked like a real fat ass. I spent about three years like that. The sad thing is that I never noticed how damn bad I had gotten. I just quietly bought bigger pants.

Then I saw the Christmas video!

About two years ago, I started walking. Running was too tough on the knees. Eventually, I dropped enough to start moving my legs without hurting myself. I'm in the habit of running about 5 miles a night now. Sometimes more, sometimes less... it depends on what my body tells me it can do. I did about 5 1/2 this evening. I've got the weight down to about 195 now. I still have a bit to go, but my *goal* is 180 by the end of this year.

We had a TBD weight loss thread about a year or so ago, I don't know what happened to it.... that's about when I started, I kept up with it.

Be glad you replaced the smoke with running. Lots of people (myself included) just replace it with eating, which causes you to balloon right up.

Good job. It's a great feeling to look back and realize how much effort you've put in!!