If JP Starts Sunday...

I don't see any way a QB controversy starts up after 1 preseason game. Sullivan may want to try to create one, but it just won't be there.

Trent may not be the answer, but the coaching staff seems convinced that JP isn't either. JP looking good can only help instill confidence that if they need him for a game or 2, he might be able to get it done. I don't see where JP looking good is a bad thing, nor where him looking bad is a good thing (unless of course, Hamdan starts showing some of that chroise that I keep reading about here :ph34r: ).

I don't know, with this being a completly new offence with Turk in charge, they should be looking for whomever lead the offence the best, but it better be Trent, cause if not we will have another offseason of new game planning since JP's career in Buffalo is done once the season ends no matter how he plays this season.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 of 32 (50.0 Percent) for 163 Yards, (52.0 rating, 5.1 yards per attempt) 0 TD's, 1 INT, and 2 Sacks

18 of 38 (47.4 Percent) for 257 yards, (76.3 rating, 6.8 Yards per attempt) 2 TD's, 1 INT, and 3 sacks

27 of 40 (67.5 Percent) for 211 yards, (67.8 rating, 5.3 yards per attempt) 1 TD, 2 INT's, and 1 Sack

22 of 36 (61.1 Percent) for 257 yards, (82.8 rating, 7.1 yards per attempt) 0 TD's, 0 INT's and 0 Sacks

23 of 31 (74.2 Percent) for 176 Yards, (74.1 rating, 5.7 yards per attempt) 0 TD's, 1 INT, and 3 Sacks

23 of 42 (54.8 Percent) for 206 yards, (58.2 rating, 4.9 yards per attempt) 0 TD's, 1 INT, and 4 Sacks

Just for Sh*ts and laughs, of of those 6 games, which one is supposed to be the game that JP played so badly in that it proved to everyone that he is not starting QB material? And who do those other stats belong to?

The 2 int's tipped me off that this was the Jax game. And let's face it, stats don't tell the whole story. In addition to being really really bad interceptions (not tipped three times or batted around only to land in a LB's facemask, but literally into the DB's numbers), they also came at points in the game which resulted in HUGE momentum shifts.

I was a JP guy, and am not totally sold on Trent yet. But I am a fan of the Bills, not a particular QB, so at this point I just want SOMEONE to grab the QB position and help get this team in the playoffs.

All that being said, I am so tired of this JP vs Trent crap that I almost wouldn't mind if they dumped them both and brought in someone else.

The 2 int's tipped me off that this was the Jax game. And let's face it, stats don't tell the whole story. In addition to being really really bad interceptions (not tipped three times or batted around only to land in a LB's facemask, but literally into the DB's numbers), they also came at points in the game which resulted in HUGE momentum shifts.

And lets not forget that fumble in Jax territory on the qb sneak. I really was still holding out hope for JP until that game, but like others, that one sealed it for me. JP was worse than the stats would indicate, and that game was closer than the final score would indicate they were still right in it in the middle of the 4th and JP just kept screwing up

Just for Sh*ts and laughs, of of those 6 games, which one is supposed to be the game that JP played so badly in that it proved to everyone that he is not starting QB material? And who do those other stats belong to?

I'm not sure?? I think it was the game where nearly 1/3 of his yardage and completions were on the last meaningless drive when the team was down by at least 3 scores.

I can't think of a QB where stats lie more than in JP's case.

I realize that the media loves feeding into these things...As for me personally, the QB controversy ended last season watching JP in the Jacksonville game. Playing on the road, against a good defense, against a playoff team, in essentially a "must-win" game...JP was downright pathetic, and for me, I decided right then and there that I was done with him, and we need a different starter. That awful performance didn't tell me that Trent was the answer, it just told me that JP wasn't. If there was ever a game for him to grab the starter's job by the horns and put the team on his back, that was it. He was disgusting to watch.

Even if he goes 18-18 for 360 yards and 5 TD's this Sunday, all I will be thinking of is trying to win a game on the road in November against a playoff team. I don't see it happening any time soon with our boy JP, unfortunately...

If he was the sole reason for that loss please tell me how the rest of the team played in Jacksonville. Because to me the team quit that day

I don't know, with this being a completly new offence with Turk in charge, they should be looking for whomever lead the offence the best, but it better be Trent, cause if not we will have another offseason of new game planning since JP's career in Buffalo is done once the season ends no matter how he plays this season.

It is a new offense, but Turk has worked closely w/ both of these guys and should know what he's getting from each.

Even if JP looks fantastic, Trent did last week as well. The coaches have said it's Trent's job to lose, and I don't think that he's lost it. If anything he locked it up last week.

JP playing well this week would be a good thing. Very few QB's take all their team's snaps, it would be good to know the Bills have a solid backup. (At least for this season.)

And Losman looked good against the the Redskins who were playing in game 2 of the preseason, and Buffalo was playing in game one. I don't think anyone should be basing who is ultimatly better over a pre-season game

Yes, JP did look good against the skins, but he was looking good against the second team, whereas when trent performed against pittsburgh, he was facing the starters on a defense that was ranked #1 in the league last season and hasn't taken too many hits with player loss(yes, I know polomalu was hurt and didn't play).

16 of 32 (50.0 Percent) for 163 Yards, (52.0 rating, 5.1 yards per attempt) 0 TD's, 1 INT, and 2 Sacks

18 of 38 (47.4 Percent) for 257 yards, (76.3 rating, 6.8 Yards per attempt) 2 TD's, 1 INT, and 3 sacks

27 of 40 (67.5 Percent) for 211 yards, (67.8 rating, 5.3 yards per attempt) 1 TD, 2 INT's, and 1 Sack

22 of 36 (61.1 Percent) for 257 yards, (82.8 rating, 7.1 yards per attempt) 0 TD's, 0 INT's and 0 Sacks

23 of 31 (74.2 Percent) for 176 Yards, (74.1 rating, 5.7 yards per attempt) 0 TD's, 1 INT, and 3 Sacks

23 of 42 (54.8 Percent) for 206 yards, (58.2 rating, 4.9 yards per attempt) 0 TD's, 1 INT, and 4 Sacks

The coaches have made up their minds. Trent is the starter. He played well enough last week to support that decision. If he struggles A LOT in the regular season, maybe the coaches go to JP for a bit.

I do expect JP to be an effective starter in the NFL before his career is over.

I'm not sure?? I think it was the game where nearly 1/3 of his yardage and completions were on the last meaningless drive when the team was down by at least 3 scores.

I can't think of a QB where stats lie more than in JP's case.

Yep, he threw for 100yrds in the fisrt 3 & 1/2 quarters of the jville game. Or about 28 yrds per quarter when the outcome was in doubt.

A much better question that the potential QB controversy is:

How much time will Losman play?

My guess is it won't be as long as it would be w/ Trent in there... not because of a controversy or anything, but the point of the 3rd game is to tune your starters, and without Trent I'm not sure they'll run it as long.

Regardless of how JP plays, he isn't going to be the starter. It serves no purpose, why would the coaches treat Edwards the same way they did JP? We know how well that turned out. They made a decision that Edwards is their starter. I seriously hope they don't change horses midstream on another young QB.

So, I suppose some people could try to create a controversy... but it'd be pointless.

Yes, JP did look good against the skins, but he was looking good against the second team, whereas when trent performed against pittsburgh, he was facing the starters on a defense that was ranked #1 in the league last season and hasn't taken too many hits with player loss(yes, I know polomalu was hurt and didn't play).

that is true, but Trent beat the starting defence with the starting offence, JP beat the 2nd stringers with 2nd stringers so it really can't be considered a fair comparison because although Trent faced a starting defence, hedid it with his best players, JP faced a mostly second string defence, but he also had to do it with mostly backup players on offence

A much better question that the potential QB controversy is:

How much time will Losman play?

My guess is it won't be as long as it would be w/ Trent in there... not because of a controversy or anything, but the point of the 3rd game is to tune your starters, and without Trent I'm not sure they'll run it as long.

Regardless of how JP plays, he isn't going to be the starter. It serves no purpose, why would the coaches treat Edwards the same way they did JP? We know how well that turned out. They made a decision that Edwards is their starter. I seriously hope they don't change horses midstream on another young QB.

So, I suppose some people could try to create a controversy... but it'd be pointless.

Because they want their best players on the field, so if someone is outplaying someone else, they will start.

I know that trent is named the starter and will be, but if JP looks better in the pre-season then Trent, they may change their mind. Although I do think its a bad decision because JP is gone at the end of the year so it will just set them back a year by letting him start if he does outplay Trent

Because they want their best players on the field, so if someone is outplaying someone else, they will start.

I know that trent is named the starter and will be, but if JP looks better in the pre-season then Trent, they may change their mind. Although I do think its a bad decision because JP is gone at the end of the year so it will just set them back a year by letting him start if he does outplay Trent

If you're basing things on preseason, TE locked up the starting spot with his performance against Pitt. One or two exceptional outings from JP at this point would not change this.

Now, if Edwards really struggles during the regular season (and I mean JP first year starting kind of struggles), you may see JP coming in. But I doubt that because I see Edwards being at worst just ineffective, not looking totally unready.

If he was the sole reason for that loss please tell me how the rest of the team played in Jacksonville. Because to me the team quit that day

He was the MAJOR reason for the Bills loss. Jacksonville, AS A TEAM, was better than Buffalo AS A TEAM. That is occasionally when you need an exceptional performance by your 4th-year QB to lift you up on the road, and steal a game you're not supposed to win.

Watching first-year full-time starter David Garrard compared to Losman in that game was a complete joke. Losman looked like Tulane's QB.

He made error after error, dumped the ball off until finally throwing downfield late in the 4th quarter when Jax had blown it open. He knew it was likely his big chance to grab the starting job back and stamp himself as the face of the franchise, maybe even leading a playoff push. His performance that game had me thinking the Bills were light years away from the playoffs.

And the interceptions? They didn't bug me all that much. I understand that they happen when you're trying to make plays. What bugged me was JP's quotes after the game, when asked about the crucial, game-changing INT when the Bills were down 22-14 in the 4th quarter:

"Obviously I wish I could have that play back," Losman said. "It's just inexcusable. I've got to see that Will [the weak-side linebacker]. I was trying to get the ball down the field on that play. I think [in retrospect] we actually had it. I thought I had Josh open but I just didn't see the Will"

Hahahaha...So, down by one score in the 4th quarter, you finally throw downfield...And your receiver was open ("we actually had it") EXCEPT for the LB you didn't see who intercepted the pass???? Nice....Hit the bench.

To continuously watch the guy make the same mistakes is torture. At least with Trent we'll hopefully get some new mistakes.

Well...To be honest, those stats may peak my interest. But I do understand what you're saying. I think you summed it best by saying we may not be sold on Edwards, but we know JP is not the answer....

Nice post... :ph34r:

Absolutely agree. J.P. had his opportunity. Although I think he was hampered by the worst offensive coordinator in bills history, he was not able to execute the bills offense. He holds the ball for too long, can't make decisive reads. As Flutie said, playing qb is about making decisions. Losman can't do it. Edwards can. You saw it against the steelers. The ball was coming out fast...

Heres to babe avatars- the more the merrier.