Gene Upshaw passes away per pft and nbc sports.com

e2gsports

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just woke up here in the SF Bay Area. News is reporting from the Oakland Raiders HQ.

You usually die 6 months- one year after diagnosis. There are prospects for prolonging your life but not a cure yet.

My godmother got some experimental medicine that they said may prolong her life, but not cure her. In October it will be two years since she was diagnosed.

Just woke up here in the SF Bay Area. News is reporting from the Oakland Raiders HQ.

You usually die 6 months- one year after diagnosis. There are prospects for prolonging your life but not a cure yet.

My godmother got some experimental medicine that they said may prolong her life, but not cure her. In October it will be two years since she was diagnosed.

A while back, I read about some promising research, implanting insulin-producing cells from the pancreas into the liver and then removing the very painful diseased pancreas.

OC, did you ever have the pleasure of watching him play? I suppose that this was the best OL of all time. Some would say it was the superbowl cowboys, but my vote would go to the raiders because imo, Art Shell was clearly superior to Mark Tuinei. The raiders were also stronger at OC, but I digress.....

Gene Upshaw might have been the best pulling OG I have ever seen, at least in the top 5. He was big for his era, and played all out on every play. Funny, but the expression "high motor" (which I loathe) truly applied to this man. He was fierce and relentless.

I know that it is unorthodox for a football fan, but this is the stuff I pay the most attention to. Gene Upshaw was a bulldog as a player, and a polished negotiator as a union leader. I didn't agree with all of his policies, but he was starting to come around, and look at the powerful people he was dealing with.

Upshaw was a man who imo was worthy of a ton of respect. Once more, RIP Mr. Upshaw.

Yes. I saw him play back in the 1980 playoffs. It was the first SB/season where I actually "knew"(as much as a 2nd grader can) what was happening. We were living in Cleveland at the time, and I will never forget the Browns ("cardiac kids") losing to the Raiders in the playoffs. My dad kept saying that the Raiders had the best offensive line and that's why they kept that game close against Cleveland's high powered offense = they stayed on the field and kept the score low. They eventually won/got lucky because Brian Sipe decided to throw a pick on 2nd down from the Raiders' 12 yard line, down by two with 10 seconds left on the clock. Yes, all the Browns needed was a 30 yard FG to win the game. The Raiders went on to win the whole thing. The first Wild Card team to win the SB.

I remember that like it was yesterday, partly because it was exciting, partly because I remember my dad saying the same thing about their line, over, and over, and over.... B-) Each beer cut the time between him saying in half :beer: I remember rooting against them the rest of the play-offs because I thought they got lucky. I didn't know enough to recognize it, or understand it then, but their line kept owning people. The only reason they didn't win their division was because San Diego was good(Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow Sr.)

Yes. I saw him play back in the 1980 playoffs. It was the first SB/season where I actually "knew"(as much as a 2nd grader can) what was happening. We were living in Cleveland at the time, and I will never forget the Browns ("cardiac kids") losing to the Raiders in the playoffs. My dad kept saying that the Raiders had the best offensive line and that's why they kept that game close against Cleveland's high powered offense = they stayed on the field and kept the score low. They eventually won/got lucky because Brian Sipe decided to throw a pick on 2nd down from the Raiders' 12 yard line, down by two with 10 seconds left on the clock. Yes, all the Browns needed was a 30 yard FG to win the game. The Raiders went on to win the whole thing. The first Wild Card team to win the SB.

I remember that like it was yesterday, partly because it was exciting, partly because I remember my dad saying the same thing about their line, over, and over, and over.... B-) Each beer cut the time between him saying in half :beer: I remember rooting against them the rest of the play-offs because I thought they got lucky. I didn't know enough to recognize it, or understand it then, but their line kept owning people. The only reason they didn't win their division was because San Diego was good(Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow Sr.)

And Don Cockroft, the Browns' kicker, had missed an extra point and two field goals earlier in the game. A FG was hardly automatic against the Raiders that day...it was so blasted cold.

My mother passed from pancreatic cancer. It is a horrible and painful way to die. At least he not suffering anymore.

Sorry to hear that. That must have been tough to deal with.

Troy Vincent?

My money is on him.

I think that Vincent was on the NFLPA Executive Board with, and in support of Upshaw. Or, am I mistaken? Seriously.

From 4/09/08

In the wake of Tuesday’s news that Ravens kicker Matt Stover is leading the charge in connection with the potential replacement of long-term NFL Players Association Executive Director Gene Upshaw, a league source has shared with us some additional details, which suggest that there has been a falling out between Upshaw and former NFLPA president Troy Vincent. Vincent stepped aside as president of the union, due to the fact that he’s no longer an active player. And the source says that Eagles safety Brian Dawkins was Vincent’s hand-picked choice to succeed him. But Dawkins didn’t get the votes. As a result, turmoil exists. "There are warring factions in the NFLPA," the source said. "Brian Dawkins...would have tried to endorse Troy replacing Gene. Gene protected himself by getting [Titans center Kevin] Mawae in and further pushed Troy away." (And this perhaps explains Mawae’s statement of support for Upshaw.) Indeed, with rumors swirling that Vincent would be named the Assistant Executive Director, Upshaw launched into his No. 1 and No. 2 tirade, insisting that there would be no No. 2 because No. 2 always wants to be No. 1. The source believes that Upshaw was talking about Vincent. Indeed, we’re told that the union quietly has appointed Clark Gaines to the No. 2 position that Vincent had targeted.

May she keep fighting. She sounds like she's really tough.

I was too young to see him play but I have some knowledge of NFL history. Gene played in the Super Bowl three times (II, XI, XV) in three different decades (60's, 70's, 80's) for three different coaches (John Rauch, John Madden, Tom Flores). I think that speaks volumes about him as a player. As for the Union stuff I was sour on him and the stance the Union took with the veterans and their benefits. Maybe there'll be a compromise once a new Union Chief is in place.

I was too young to see him play but I have some knowledge of NFL history. Gene played in the Super Bowl three times (II, XI, XV) in three different decades (60's, 70's, 80's) for three different coaches (John Rauch, John Madden, Tom Flores). I think that speaks volumes about him as a player. As for the Union stuff I was sour on him and the stance the Union took with the veterans and their benefits. Maybe there'll be a compromise once a new Union Chief is in place.

Fred Smerlas hates Upshaw because he ignored retired vets that really need help. Maybe the new guy will be more supportive. I can't see Smerlas crying too much over this.

And Don Cockroft, the Browns' kicker, had missed an extra point and two field goals earlier in the game. A FG was hardly automatic against the Raiders that day...it was so blasted cold.

I didn't remember it that way, but you're right. My fiends at school were so happy about having finally beaten Pittsburgh(a giant mountain to get over at the time), I don't think anybody thought about the Raiders. It was a bad weather day. I just remember thinking that the Chargers were going to be the big game, and that the Raiders were going to killed. The Browns were a young team that had won so many close games that year at the very end(hence Cardiac Kids) and the irony of losing the same way they had won was not lost on me.

The point is that the Raiders were able to trade on their team being bad in certain areas, because their O line and Upshaw, could keep them in games.

That, and a whole lot of "stickum" on Lester Hayes hands. Remember that?

I heard on the radio that he was diagnosed last Sunday and passed away today. If true, scary.

I think that Vincent was on the NFLPA Executive Board with, and in support of Upshaw. Or, am I mistaken? Seriously.

Not at all, Bill. forgive my subtle sarcasm; I'm thinking he would be a dynamite choice.

I just hope the players realize that, as well.

Note: i am not suggesting that it would be smooth sailing b/w the Union and Ownership, just that Troy would be a great choice for the job at hand.