Fredonia Girl Wins a Silver

This Jenn Stuczynski?

Trash talk backfires at the Beijing Olympics

By JOHN LEICESTER, AP Olympics Columnist 6 hours, 51 minutes ago

BEIJING (AP)—Yelena Isinbayeva got the Olympic gold and a world record; American Jenn Stuczynski got the silver and a lesson in humility.

This Jenn Stuczynski?

BEIJING (AP)—Yelena Isinbayeva got the Olympic gold and a world record; American Jenn Stuczynski got the silver and a lesson in humility.

Yep, that one. <_<

Fredonia's Jennifer Stuczynski is coming home with a silver medal in the pole vault. Jennifers family lives in Fredonia and her coach is from Rochester.

Congrats!!!!

I know Jen a little bit from when she was competing at Roberts Wesleyan, at the same time I was a decathlete for Brockport. Her vault coach was one of my assistant wrestling coaches in high school (until he quit on us). She seemed like a pretty ok person, but her coach can be a bit of a tool, imo.

EDIT: she is relatively new to the event, and will be back in 4 years barring injury. In a matter 2.5 years she went from never vaulted to silver medalist in the Olympics and American record holder

I know Jen a little bit from when she was competing at Roberts Wesleyan, at the same time I was a decathlete for Brockport. Her vault coach was one of my assistant wrestling coaches in high school (until he quit on us). She seemed like a pretty ok person, but her coach can be a bit of a tool, imo.

EDIT: she is relatively new to the event, and will be back in 4 years barring injury. In a matter 2.5 years she went from never vaulted to silver medalist in the Olympics and American record holder

That's hilarious you said this. NBC showed a brief moment where her coach was "coaching" her prior to the event and I said to my wife, "that guy seems like a dick."

That's hilarious you said this. NBC showed a brief moment where her coach was "coaching" her prior to the event and I said to my wife, "that guy seems like a dick."

If you saw his post-competition reaction, it would have cleared up any doubt you had about whether her coach is a tool.

This Jenn Stuczynski?

“I hope we do some damage,” she had said, “and, you know, kick some Russian butt.”

Not exactly sticking her foot in her mouth. If she had said we ARE going to kick some Russian butt...maybe. But I HOPE we do? That's just talk, not trash talk.

If you saw his post-competition reaction, it would have cleared up any doubt you had about whether her coach is a tool.

I saw that, she just lost the gold medal to the 24 time world record holder and he just bitches about it. I was actually happy she lost after that. I have no respect for Olympians and their coaches that lack any kind of sportsmanship.

He was a dick. The commentators thought so too. He offered nothing of any substance that would help her. It seemed like he was trying to make himself look important (as if she would have won if only she had listened to him about the "grinder" etc.), but instead sounded like a dick.

He should have congratulated her for winning the silver in her first Olympics and finishing second to the best female pole vaulter of all time.

She should fire his ass and get a new coach.

Not exactly sticking her foot in her mouth. If she had said we ARE going to kick some Russian butt...maybe. But I HOPE we do? That's just talk, not trash talk.

Exactly, not half as bad as DW stating the Bills WILL make the playoffs, which made front page news and was a heated debate on this board...[/sarcasm]

There's a link to the coach's reaction here.

http://www.wespeakthetruth.com/2008/08/ric...ault-coach.html

Yeah, that is Rick being a douche. His brother Harold was a great Bobby knight style coach for wrestling. However, Rick has done a great job for coaching pole vault, as he also coached Mary Saxer of Lancaster a couple years ago who broke the national high school pole vault record. I still love that the announcers called out Rick on his doucheness

There's a link to the coach's reaction here.

http://www.wespeakthetruth.com/2008/08/ric...ault-coach.html

What a prick. The poor woman's greatest athletic achievement and that's what this douchebag tells her? I'm so glad he got called out by the broadcasters on national TV.

They should force the a-hole to watch the women's gymnastics competition to see how athletes and coaches reacted with class and chroise whether they won or lost.

What a prick. The poor woman's greatest athletic achievement and that's what this douchebag tells her? I'm so glad he got called out by the broadcasters on national TV.

They should force the a-hole to watch the women's gymnastics competition to see how athletes and coaches reacted with class and chroise whether they won or lost.

Well said.

I sort of agree eball... But what if Jenn kept on making the same mistakes he told her to correct? Ya, he came across harsh... But, IMO the way he came across proves that in his heart he knew that Jenn could have got that gold. Taken by outside observers, it does seem harsh.

IMO only.

I am not totally defending the coach... Just bad timing on his part

And maybe things aren't always as they seem.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p.../808240329/1007

Sure, it's possible she may just be defending him as a gesture of gratitude for all that he's done, but I tend to believe her. I never thought what the guy did was all that bad in the first place. We have no idea how she likes to be coached. Some people like to be kicked in the ass.