"Hover" vs. "Click" navigation menus...

SDS

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer click, but hover are alright as long as the top categories jump to link pages of the menu items. That gives you a static click path as well.

Two additional concerns I'd have with JS menus in general -- do they work correctly with screen readers and will the JavaScript screw with search engine ranking (if you care about that)? If the link data is in an external .js file or is handled via DOM manipulation, I can see that being a potential problem (again, if you care).

A bad example of suck and hover is the Fins homepage. Their drop downs windows go from vert.box to a narrow horiz. bar across the page. You have to hold the L.click down to navigate and if your pointer slips off that narrow bar the boxes close and you have to start all over again. Sucks like some fish.

Bye the way that has to be the worst NFL team site going.

Hate hover. Like click more better.

By the way, on Mac Safari the "Open External Links in New Window" isn't working, even though the box is checked. On the front page, only the sub-links listed under "Sunday's Washington Coverage" will open the link in a new window.

Hate hover. Like click more better.

By the way, on Mac Safari the "Open External Links in New Window" isn't working, even though the box is checked. On the front page, only the sub-links listed under "Sunday's Washington Coverage" will open the link in a new window.

try reloading the page. It's working for me. Sometimes though it requires a refresh.

I like hover unless the items in the dropdown exceed 4 items. Otherwise, click is less obtrusive. Of course, I wouldn't complain either way.

So, for some technical reasons - I need to change out our current menus on TBD. While doing lots of thinking about menus - I wondered which style people preferred:

1. Hover over a section in the menu bar and the drop down magically appears

2. Click on a section in the menu to make the submenu appear

I guess this comes down to the convenience of not having to click vs. the inadvertent mouse moving over and displaying the menu when you don't want it to.

I like hover unless the items in the dropdown exceed 4 items. Otherwise, click is less obtrusive. Of course, I wouldn't complain either way.

I agree. I voted click, but I could handle the hover if it was limited to less than 4 dropdown items.

click

btw, different topic...

the checkbox for spawning a new window on tbd is nice, but it doesn't remember my selection. I'm using Mozilla Firefox and I have uncheck it and check it again every time I reopen Firefox to tbd. Is that a Firefox problem? I admit I haven't it tried it with IE or Safari.

you need to have cookies enabled.