will Favre on Jets help the Bills

I do think the Jets will be a better team with Favre behind center, but could his signing help us by beating teams that are in contention with us. The Jets play Denver, Tennessee, and New England. If they can sneak out a previously unheard of win against one of these opponents, it might actually give us a better chance (that is if we beat them as well)

I do think the Jets will be a better team with Favre behind center, but could his signing help us by beating teams that are in contention with us. The Jets play Denver, Tennessee, and New England. If they can sneak out a previously unheard of win against one of these opponents, it might actually give us a better chance (that is if we beat them as well)

One problem. You forgot to include we play the Jets - twice.

Just as much as Favre could help the Bills by beating "our" opponents, Favre could help our opponents by beating us.

There is no way you can rationalize it. Farve on the Jets hurts us no matter what. This was my breakdown for this year.

Pre-farve

25%- we sweep the jets

50%- we split

25%- we get sweeped

With Farve

15%- we sweep the jets

50%- we split

35%- we get sweeped

This hurts our playoff chances a lot becuase it is very rare if ever that two wild cards come out of the same division

There is no way you can rationalize it. Farve on the Jets hurts us no matter what. This was my breakdown for this year.

Pre-farve

25%- we sweep the jets

50%- we split

25%- we get sweeped

With Farve

15%- we sweep the jets

50%- we split

35%- we get sweeped

This hurts our playoff chances a lot becuase it is very rare if ever that two wild cards come out of the same division

By your breakdown it actually doesn't hurt us much because both categories has the highest percentage the same.

50% we split.

By your breakdown it actually doesn't hurt us much because both categories has the highest percentage the same.

50% we split.

I know but that is because we are factoring in home field advantage. If we played on neutral sites I think they would beat us slightly more than not with farve. I still think we split but I just see the chances of us sweeping reduced and them sweeping inncreased.

Idk why guys on our team are saying its a good thing but lets hope that Farve is like he was in 2006 when he threw 18 INTs and honestly i dont know how well he actually fits in the center stage of NYC it will be akward so hopefully we can apply much pressure and knock him on his A*S*S.....and maybe who knows this will maybe motivate us more to just want to win so we wont have to worry about contending with the J E T S suck suck suck even with B R E T T F A G F A G

Pre-farve

25%- we sweep the jets

50%- we split

25%- we get sweeped

With Farve

15%- we sweep the jets

50%- we split

35%- we get sweeped

Seriously?

that's why I included we have to beat them as well

One thing to keep in mind is that Favre likely will only play 2-3 years (at most?). We brought in our 'long in the tooth' savior in Bledsoe and it got us 3 years of mediocrity, KC brought in Montana and got a couple of decent years at best.

While this may make the Jets more respectable, it does nothing for their long-term hole at QB. In fact, the hoopla may give NYJ a false sense of security (as it did us with ticker tapes upon Drew's arrival).

The Jets added Faneca and Kris Jenkins in the offseason. They have a decent group of WR's, not great, but decent. The starters are both pretty fast which means Favre can chuck the ball down the field alot. Thomas Jones is in the backfield which leaves a question in your head. That being which Jones will you get? The last year he spent with the Bears version or the last year with the Jets version? Brett will be protected and have plenty of time to throw the ball because the Jets line is one of the best on it's left side. The right side isn't too shabby either, but I gaurantee there will be alot of runs to the left this season. Lets not forget that the Jets have Chris Baker who emerged last season as a solid player and Favre's old buddy Bubba Franks whom they acquired this offseason. We all know how much Brett loves throwing the ball to his TE's. The defense is the Jets main question. They gave up Vilma, but added Jenkins and Vernon Gholston. David Harris and Darrelle Revis showed that they were for real last year and will surely be better this year. I really think that this trade :censored: us the most. These 2 games could very well keep us out of the playoff picture again. It could be the difference between 10-6 or 8-8. Or maybe the difference between 9-7 or 7-9. Either of the second records having our players at home on the couch watching the playoffs in January again while we're starting a bunch of threads talking about who we need to get in FA and in the draft :D

Pre-farve

25%- we sweep the jets

50%- we split

25%- we get sweeped

With Farve

15%- we sweep the jets

50%- we split

35%- we get sweeped

So you're saying the Jests have a better odds of sweeping us than we of sweeping them?

That's hilarious. The Jests have many more problems outside of the quarterback position to worry about. Favre will make them a little better than they would have been, but he's not a miracle worker.

So you're saying the Jests have a better odds of sweeping us than we of sweeping them?

That's hilarious. The Jests have many more problems outside of the quarterback position to worry about. Favre will make them a little better than they would have been, but he's not a miracle worker.

Granted. But their biggest problem on O the last several years has been the weakness at QB. Everybody knew that if you hit Chadwick, he got rattled and his play suffered. And if you kept hitting Chadwick, he'd go in a shell to try to protect his va-jay-jay. Jests still lack a breakout RB, but it's much easier to produce that with a good OL like they've built. This is the scenario I worried about. Addition of Favre doesn't automatically mean we lose, especially since it's a 22-player game, but it doesn't make it any easier. We went from knowing exactly how to shut down their O to having to beware a gunslinger who can damage you when he's on his game.

The Jets added Faneca and Kris Jenkins in the offseason. They have a decent group of WR's, not great, but decent. The starters are both pretty fast which means Favre can chuck the ball down the field alot. Thomas Jones is in the backfield which leaves a question in your head. That being which Jones will you get? The last year he spent with the Bears version or the last year with the Jets version? Brett will be protected and have plenty of time to throw the ball because the Jets line is one of the best on it's left side. The right side isn't too shabby either, but I gaurantee there will be alot of runs to the left this season. Lets not forget that the Jets have Chris Baker who emerged last season as a solid player and Favre's old buddy Bubba Franks whom they acquired this offseason. We all know how much Brett loves throwing the ball to his TE's. The defense is the Jets main question. They gave up Vilma, but added Jenkins and Vernon Gholston. David Harris and Darrelle Revis showed that they were for real last year and will surely be better this year. I really think that this trade :censored: us the most. These 2 games could very well keep us out of the playoff picture again. It could be the difference between 10-6 or 8-8. Or maybe the difference between 9-7 or 7-9. Either of the second records having our players at home on the couch watching the playoffs in January again while we're starting a bunch of threads talking about who we need to get in FA and in the draft :D

Gholston will be this year's Ted Ginn. I am a huge Ohio State fans, and saw both of them as good college players who won't do much in the NFL.

I do think Favre will do well in his first year- it will really boost the performance of the WR's who will go all out for him. I also think the improved OL will jump start Thomas Jones. Kris Jenkins is the same situation as Stroud- are they healthy?

They will be a tough matchup for us this year

The Bills swept the Jets last year (by the skin of their teeth in both games). Adding Favre also decreases the likelihood of that happening again this year.

I was going to post this very same reply. Instead of +2 here, it could be very well -2. IMO, the playoffs hinge on our performances against division rivals and road games.

I think Favre is a horrible fit for New York. He has been hero-worshipped in Green Bay for the past 15 years. I can't understand why he would want to put himself through the scrutiny and demands of Jets fans and the New York media at this stage in his career. This has a much higher probability of being a disaster for Favre than anything else. On top of that, does anyone think he is going to respect much less listen to Schottenheimer's kid and Mangini? Green Bay knew what it was doing. If anything, this was a Hail Mary by the Jets before the season even started and is more an indictment of Pennington and Clemens and the Jets chances with one of them as their QB.

I think Favre is a horrible fit for New York. He has been hero-worshipped in Green Bay for the past 15 years. I can't understand why he would want to put himself through the scrutiny and demands of Jets fans and the New York media at this stage in his career. This has a much higher probability of being a disaster for Favre than anything else. On top of that, does anyone think he is going to respect much less listen to Schottenheimer's kid and Mangini? Green Bay knew what it was doing. If anything, this was a Hail Mary by the Jets before the season even started and is more an indictment of Pennington and Clemens and the Jets chances with one of them as their QB.

ESPN had an interesting analytical take on the question of how much Favre will improve the Jets. They predicted that the big problem for them is gonna be Favre learning the offense in a relatively short time.

They predicted the problem would be heightened because the Jets and GB run such different offensive styles with the NYJ scheme being a WCO style with the plays planned and laid out and the QB being called upon to implement them as they were drawn up. The GB style they described as much more oriented to Favre reading and reacting to the situation and in essence free-lancing rather than running a fairly set style.

If this analysis is true it points to this almost being a lost half season or so for the Jets O as not only is Favre gonna have to cram in the new language and new scheme, but in essence he will have to change a careers play style to the Jets way.

The alternative is actually likely worse IMHO since it will demand that all the players in essence toss chunks of the playbook they have spent the off-season learning if the Jets take the route of altering it significantly to fit Favre's style.

Even in a good case of adaptation of the Jets/coaches O style to Favre or the adaptation of the Favre to the Jets O style you still are gonna have to have the receivers and Favre develop chemistry and the OL and Favre develop chemistry on how they block and how he scrambles.

In general, Favre is a good enough player that it will make sense for the Jets to make some changes to take advantage of what he can do that most other QBs can't but overall I would generally expect that it is Favre who is going to have to change himself to win in our system. It will be tough getting your starting QB to recalibrate his play and learn a new playbook on short notice. However, it strikes me as much worse to demand the entire rest of the O to learn a bunch of new stuff and throw a lot of old stuff out.

The interesting soap opera to watch is how Favre reacts to having to stand on his head athletically and adapt to every one else since for years the Pack was built around his skills and desires.

I must admit the thing which bums me out most about this is that the Bills do not get the Jets until mid-season. Opponents will likely mop the floor with this team the first quarter of the season.

There is also the soap opera question of how long it takes the NYJ fans to turn on Favre when they begin losing initially through adjusting.