Rams' Steven Jackson holdingout

scribo

The Rams told Jackson they are willing to talk about a new deal but not while Jackson is holding out.

As already mentioned here, the Bear's Hester held out the first couple of days of Chicago's camp. Hester has the same agent as Peters, too. Hester reported without a new contract after losing more than $30,000 in fines.

Am I the only one thinking this agent (Eugene Parker) just might be giving his clients bad advice?

Linky to Chris Brown's report on this...

The Rams told Jackson they are willing to talk about a new deal but not while Jackson is holding out.

As already mentioned here, the Bear's Hester held out the first couple of days of Chicago's camp. Hester has the same agent as Peters, too. Hester reported without a new contract after losing more than $30,000 in fines.

Am I the only one thinking this agent (Eugene Parker) just might be giving his clients bad advice?

Jackson only has one year left on his contract, and Hester is at the stage where Peters was two years ago when he was DRASTICALLY underpaid- I think Hester is making something like 445K a year.

I'm not sure if these three scenarios are analogous considering the decent money Peters is getting now (3M) and the time remaining on his contract.

My point is that I don't believe there is another agent out there who has/has three holdouts this season. The Bills, and now the Rams, are saying this agent's tactic is not the way to do business.

My point is that I don't believe there is another agent out there who has/has three holdouts this season. The Bills, and now the Rams, are saying this agent's tactic is not the way to do business.

Eugene Parker is one of the very best agents around.

Some of Parker's clients include:

* Hines Ward (Super Bowl XL MVP and four-time Pro Bowler)

* Richard Seymour (4 time all pro)

* Walter Jones (5 time all pro)

* Emmitt Smith (NFL all time leading rusher)

* Larry Fitzgerald (All pro)

* Derrick Brooks (9 time all pro)

* Rod Woodson (11 time all pro)

* Aeneas Williams (8 time all pro)

* Rex Grossman (Super Bowl QB)

* Devin Hester (NFL record holder, all pro)

* Cedric Benson (Super Bowl running back)

* Curtis Martin (5 time all pro)

* Laveranues Coles (all pro receiver)

* Jason Peters (all pro left tackle)

* James Hardy (Bills 2008 2nd Round Draft Pick)

* Felix Jones (Cowboys 2008 1st Round Draft Pick]

* Tashard Choice (Cowboys 2008 3rd Round Draft Pick)

* Steven Jackson (St. Louis Rams star running back)

I suppose he can rest on his laurels, and mad money, when his clients all waste away and eventually fire him. Perhaps the league is finally getting sick of catering to whiny millionaires. Oh, pardon, except for Jerry Jones, who has an obvious kinship with them.

I suppose he can rest on his laurels, and mad money, when his clients all waste away and eventually fire him. Perhaps the league is finally getting sick of catering to whiny millionaires. Oh, pardon, except for Jerry Jones, who has an obvious kinship with them.

There are very good reasons why star players sign with high profile agents. They get them the best contracts. You as a fan may hate Drew Rosenhaus, but he's extremely good at his job. That's why he has the most stars and makes the most money for them and himself. I don't like him, or agents as a whole for that matter, and I have to deal with them all the time. But that doesn't mean that the best aren't good at their jobs. I would bet you that sometime within now and a year from now, Steven Jackson, Devin Hester and Jason Peters are going to have huge contracts, and be thrilled with their agent, and their teams will be thrilled to have those three players locked up long term.

I wouldn't even doubt if Jason Peters came into camp soon, and this whole thing was simply to make him look like he was making a sacrifice he didn't want to make and it was all just laying the groundwork for a threatened holdout next year if he doesn't get a new deal late in this season or early next year.

There are very good reasons why star players sign with high profile agents. They get them the best contracts. You as a fan may hate Drew Rosenhaus, but he's extremely good at his job. That's why he has the most stars and makes the most money for them and himself. I don't like him, or agents as a whole for that matter, and I have to deal with them all the time. But that doesn't mean that the best aren't good at their jobs. I would bet you that sometime within now and a year from now, Steven Jackson, Devin Hester and Jason Peters are going to have huge contracts, and be thrilled with their agent, and their teams will be thrilled to have those three players locked up long term.

I wouldn't even doubt if Jason Peters came into camp soon, and this whole thing was simply to make him look like he was making a sacrifice he didn't want to make and it was all just laying the groundwork for a threatened holdout next year if he doesn't get a new deal late in this season or early next year.

If Rosenhaus was Peters Agent He would be in Camp, new Contract or not...He's on record a million times saying He's a FIRM believer in not holding out...Not to say He won't do it if He has to...But it goes against His personal theory about how to get a deal done...That's why He's the best...He works WITH Teams and usually gets exactly what He wants for his Clients...Now I'm not sure how Jim Overdorf would feel about Rosenhaus sleeping on the Sofa in His Office ;) ...Drew's theory seems to be cooperate and hound the living hell out of the Team until He gets what He wants for His Client...But at least Peters would be in Camp and the new deal would be all but done by now if Rosenhaus was JP's Agent... :cry:

If Rosenhaus was Peters Agent He would be in Camp, new Contract or not...He's on record a million times saying He's a FIRM believer in not holding out...Not to say He won't do it if He has to...But it goes against His personal theory about how to get a deal done...That's why He's the best...He works WITH Teams and usually gets exactly what He wants for his Clients...Now I'm not sure how Jim Overdorf would feel about Rosenhaus sleeping on the Sofa in His Office ;) ...Drew's theory seems to be cooperate and hound the living hell out of the Team until He gets what He wants for His Client...But at least Peters would be in Camp and the new deal would be all but done by now if Rosenhaus was JP's Agent... :cry:

Holding out for a couple days is not really holding out, IMO. It's not really a big deal right now. Sure I would rather have him in. Sure, I think Parker and Peters are making a mistake right now because the Bills have all the cards. I really do think that Parker is just feeling the Bills out, seeing if they will cave. As soon as it appears to him that they won't, he will have Peters in camp and they will just do the deal later. Again, I think he's just laying the groundwork. The first two days of training camp for a four year vet who is one of the very best in the game is no big deal at all. He will be in, he will start opening day. In fact, I expect him to be in soon.

Also, Rosenhaus has had numerous holdouts. Granted, he usually threatens it and then they report. But...

A partial list of holdouts represented by Rosenhaus in recent years includes Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin, Carolina Panthers linebacker Dan Morgan, Denver Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker (who was a holdout with Green Bay), New Orleans Saints cornerback Mike McKenzie (then with Green Bay), New York Giants running back Reuben Droughns (then with Cleveland), Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens (then with Philadelphia) and Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs.

From your list, Kelly -- I seem to recall Emmitt Smith missing a couple of regular-season games (including one against the Bills) due to a holdout, and didn't Walter Jones do the same thing for three or four training camps in a row? Not sure if Parker was involved in either case, but if so, it definitely reinforces the trend scribo is suggesting.

From your list, Kelly -- I seem to recall Emmitt Smith missing a couple of regular-season games (including one against the Bills) due to a holdout, and didn't Walter Jones do the same thing for three or four training camps in a row? Not sure if Parker was involved in either case, but if so, it definitely reinforces the trend scribo is suggesting.

That list was Rosenhaus clients who have held out, in response to Kokbills saying that Rosenhaus' clients don't hold out and if he was Peters agent, Peters would be in camp. That list came from an article in the Pittsburgh Trib on a rookie last year whose agent is Rosenhaus. I am not sure how accurate it was but I know he has held out a lot of guys over the years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_506368.html

That list was Rosenhaus clients who have held out, in response to Kokbills saying that Rosenhaus' clients don't hold out and if he was Peters agent, Peters would be in camp. That list came from an article in the Pittsburgh Trib on a rookie last year whose agent is Rosenhaus. I am not sure how accurate it was but I know he has held out a lot of guys over the years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_506368.html

Nonono, I meant the FIRST list - the one of Parker's clients. You're right about Rosenhaus' track record, I think.

The missing info for both holdouts is that in both cases teh teams were negotiating with the player for an extension. The Rams did offer a new deal to Jackson BEFORE camp started. W

Hester came to camp on the premise that progress was being made on a new deal.

Why absolutely no discussions of any sort by the Bills with regard to Peters.

Regardless if he has contract in place, the team should have been pro-active and opened discussions to take care of Peters far earlier in the off-season so training camp would not have been a problem.

Just because they can hide behind his contract, does not mean they should.

It's taken 15 years to find a bona fide LT, it is a poor choice to make Peters an example of hard lining on contracts, while extending Williams and Butler BEFORE required to report at camp. They had time left on their deals as well. When Schoebel was extended, I seem to recall that he skipped all the off-season stuff as well - but still got a new deal BEFORE camp.

Why the double standard?

Nonono, I meant the FIRST list - the one of Parker's clients. You're right about Rosenhaus' track record, I think.

Ah, my bad. I am not sure how many clients that Parker has held out. It's obviously one of the only bargaining chips the agents and players have. I doubt he has had many players hold out, if any, with three years left on his deal though. :cry: I really am not worried about this very much at all. That may change, but to me this is a lot to do about little.

Good guy too, met him once years ago (great Boilermaker point guard)

Ah, my bad. I am not sure how many clients that Parker has held out. It's obviously one of the only bargaining chips the agents and players have. I doubt he has had many players hold out, if any, with three years left on his deal though. :cry: I really am not worried about this very much at all. That may change, but to me this is a lot to do about little.

The uniqueness of Peters is that he did not get the benefit of the big money from being a high draft pick.

He will never get those early years back.

Parker's name Googled with "holdout" includes everything from an "expected long holdout" for Saints #1 pick Sedrik Ellis to Hines Ward, Richard Seymour, Cedric Benson's rookie contract, Walter Jones, Corey Simon, Shawn Springs, Peter Boulware, Chris Perry, and the list goes on and on. One blog reports that between 1995 and 2005, Parker led all agents in 1st-round rookie contract holdouts with 13 (a tie with Tom Condon).

I'd say if all those are accurate, there pattern is well established as Scribo suggests.

You'll even find some tactical similarities here in the Benson Holdout if the author is to be believed-Eugene Parker: Agent Holdout

The missing info for both holdouts is that in both cases teh teams were negotiating with the player for an extension. The Rams did offer a new deal to Jackson BEFORE camp started. W

Hester came to camp on the premise that progress was being made on a new deal.

Why absolutely no discussions of any sort by the Bills with regard to Peters.

Regardless if he has contract in place, the team should have been pro-active and opened discussions to take care of Peters far earlier in the off-season so training camp would not have been a problem.

Just because they can hide behind his contract, does not mean they should.

It's taken 15 years to find a bona fide LT, it is a poor choice to make Peters an example of hard lining on contracts, while extending Williams and Butler BEFORE required to report at camp. They had time left on their deals as well. When Schoebel was extended, I seem to recall that he skipped all the off-season stuff as well - but still got a new deal BEFORE camp.

Why the double standard?

Yes they should. Peters has plenty of time still left on his contract and plenty still yet to prove. Evans is in the last year of his contract; therefore, he's a higher priority. The FO should be doing just as they are... work out Evans, first. Then as the season progresses and next offseason extend Peters.

The Bills have waited for 15 years for a probowl QB, RB, and S as well. So if Edwards, Lynch and Whitner break out this year do they suddenly get top 5 money as well? That logic doesn't hold up.

I don't have the time nor energy to look it up... but how many players re-work a contract less than half way through the contract term? My guess is not many. Yes, contracts are thrown out all the time, but it seems its typically the last year or 2 that are thrown out - not the last half or more.

Yes they should. Peters has plenty of time still left on his contract and plenty still yet to prove. Evans is in the last year of his contract; therefore, he's a higher priority. The FO should be doing just as they are... work out Evans, first. Then as the season progresses and next offseason extend Peters.

The Bills have waited for 15 years for a probowl QB, RB, and S as well. So if Edwards, Lynch and Whitner break out this year do they suddenly get top 5 money as well? That logic doesn't hold up.

I don't have the time nor energy to look it up... but how many players re-work a contract less than half way through the contract term? My guess is not many. Yes, contracts are thrown out all the time, but it seems its typically the last year or 2 that are thrown out - not the last half or more.

EVANS

Evans may be a higher priority.

but why was he not signed to a new deal before camp?

was it a surprise to the front office that this was his last year?

why have the Bills front office chosen to distract Evans during camp while they work on his extension? or they just stringing him along?

why were Williams and Butler (with years left on their deals) deemed a higher priority than Evans (and Peters) and got extension BEFORE camp?

PETERS

How many UDFA's turn into pro bowl LTs?

maybe Peters is unique and should be treated as such.

if any other player on the team turns into a pro bowl LT, then the Bills will have to deal with the precedent.

The Bills already set the precedent when they extended Schobel with 3 years left on his deal.

Bills Pro Bowl DE Aaron Schobel signs contract extension with Buffalo

Associated Press

Updated: August 24, 2007, 11:04 PM ET

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Schobel signed a contract extension with the Buffalo Bills on Friday that is potentially worth about $50.5 million over the seven-year deal.

The deal includes $20 million in guaranteed money and locks Schobel up through 2013, extending his current contract for four additional years. The new deal was reached after Schobel earned his first Pro Bowl selection last season, and now makes him the team's highest-paid player.

"Obviously, I had three years left on my deal so they didn't have to do anything ... so it's good: It's good for both of us," Schobel said after the Bills 28-17 preseason loss to Tennessee. "I like it here. This is my kind of style. I'm a small-town guy. I like the organization, I like the fans."

Evans may be a higher priority.

but why was he not signed to a new deal before camp?

was it a surprise that this was his last year?

why make contracts a distraction during camp?

I'm fairly certain they're currently working on his new contract and its not distracting him in any way. So how is it such a bad thing that Evans is not re-signed. When did it become required that all contracts had to be renegotiated with 2 years or more left on the existing deal for the FO to be considered good?

why were Williams and Butler (with years left on their deals) deemed a higher priority than Evans (and Peters)?

Were they a higher priority or just easier to get done because they're lower tier players?

How may UDFA's turn into pro bowl LTs?

maybe Peters is unique and should be treated as such.

Peters is not unique. He's becoming just like every other greedy player that over states is importance to the team and things the world revolves around him. How much time and money did the Bills invest in Peters to transform that UDFA TE into a Pro Bowl LT? So, it's not like the Bills haven't done their part to get him to where he is. Why is he not at least a little bit gracious and willing to work with the team?

if any other player on the team turns into a pro bowl LT, then the Bills will have to deal with the precedent.

You, sir, must not manage people. Because if you did, I assure you you'd see the dangers in giving in to Peters at this point. Essentially, Peters and his agent have backed the Bills into a corner. The FO has only one option to maintain team unity and order - don't give him a new contract.

But that worry did not stop them from extending Schobel with 3 years left on his deal.

Thanks for the find. I had forgotten that. However, the primary difference is that Schobel was reporting to the team activities and being a team player. Peters has chosen a different path and, not surprisingly, he's getting different results.

You, sir, must not manage people. Because if you did, I assure you you'd see the dangers in giving in to Peters at this point. Essentially, Peters and his agent have backed the Bills into a corner. The FO has only one option to maintain team unity and order - don't give him a new contract.

how does that management thing work when your best and most productive employee who has been nationally recognized for his achievements is paid half of the guy in the office next door who works on less important projects.

and the boss wants to hang in there for another year before we talk about a raise.

I can see how that would be good for morale

If the Bills are in a corner, it's their own fault because they were too arrogant to deal with this situation in the off-season.

how does that management thing work when your best and most productive employee who has been nationally recognized for his achievements is paid half of the guy in the office next door who works on less important projects.

One thing is certain... any employee that thinks the company can't go on without him, will be looking for a new job pretty soon. Ability is only half of the equation. Attitude and team morale are equally as important.

One thing is certain... any employee that thinks the company can't go on without him, will be looking for a new job pretty soon. Ability is only half of the equation. Attitude and team morale are equally as important.

people who think ability is only half the equation are usually people with very little ability.

Notice the date on your own link, obie whine. Schobel signed August 24th. Why didn't they sign him in January when they had the chance?

my recollection is they signed Kelsey in Feb and Schobel stayed away from the off season activities that year.

Schobel says he asked for the increase but do not know when he asked.

my recollection is they signed Kelsey in Feb and Schobel stayed away from the off season activities that year.

You're contradicting yourself for the sake of being a whiny B word.

Evans is getting an extension worked on = he's distracted in your warped little mind

No one was complaining that an extension was "distracting" schobel last season.

So you complain when they dont lock up their players, and then complain when they are currently "intensely negotiating" with Evans on a new deal.

As for the front office and Peters, consider this (although you may find it tough, because it doesnt fit the anti-front office crusade you're currently on).

Peters: i want to be the highest paid OL in the league

FO: we're willing to work on a new deal, but we cant make you the highest paid OL

Peters: well until you can, see ya

Evans is getting an extension worked on = he's distracted in your warped little mind

So you complain when they dont lock up their players, and then complain when they are currently "intensely negotiating" with Evans on a new deal.

As for the front office and Peters, consider this (although you may find it tough, because it doesnt fit the anti-front office crusade you're currently on).

FO: we're willing to work on a new deal, but we cant make you the highest paid OL

At this point, I'd just as soon trade him and his bad attitude for a first rounder and change. And pick a tackle who can score more than 5 on the wonderlic.

The point is you're whining every five minutes in late July that we didn't take care of Peters in January, and using Schobel as an example, who signed in late August.

The point is you're whining every five minutes in late July that we didn't take care of Peters in January, and using Schobel as an example, who signed in late August.

Schobel had 3 years left on his deal, just like Peters.

that is the relevance

Schobel had 3 years left on his deal, just like Peters.

that is the relevance

But he didnt sign until right before the season started. And you said he signed "before camp", which he didn't. So if you're going to use him as a reference, to be fair, you should wait and see whether Peters is in camp and playing or has signed a new deal a week before the season, not the first day of camp.

Do you honestly believe that he is not going to be in the starting line-up and ready to play on opening day? Or that the Bills are not going to offer him a huge contract and sign him within the next three years before he becomes a free agent? If you don't, please stop obie whining so much.

But Schobel didn't refuse to show up to any team activities.... Peters has, and that's the big difference

Seems to me that the Bills haven't refused to give Peters a new deal, they just want him in camp before they talk. The agent's stance is that he wants the new deal first. It probably doesn't hurt Peters or the team for him to be holding out in the short run (couple weeks or so). I'd be surprised if the Bills refused to give him a new deal even though I think he should play another year first.

Nothing to do with this post, but after reading some of these threads I think you should probably change your sig to include Peters on the "being run out of town" list.

You give these agents way too much credit for what they do. Peters reputation with the fans of our great team has gone down the tubes. I strongly believe that Parker and Peters have totally misjudged Brandon's resolve with doing things the "Bills" way. Peters is only going to come out of this looking like a fool. He either will sit out and not play this year, or come back with his tail between his legs alienating his teammates and fans alike. He ain't getting a new contract as long as he doesn't report. And how does that make Eugene Parker a great agent?

You give these agents way too much credit for what they do. Peters reputation with the fans of our great team has gone down the tubes. I strongly believe that Parker and Peters have totally misjudged Brandon's resolve with doing things the "Bills" way. Peters is only going to come out of this looking like a fool. He either will sit out and not play this year, or come back with his tail between his legs alienating his teammates and fans alike. He ain't getting a new contract as long as he doesn't report. And how does that make Eugene Parker a great agent?

Because his client is not only going to come in soon, but the Bills fans are going to love him as soon as the games start, and he's going to be one of the highest paid OLs in the league when he finally signs, which I believe will be next year. I don't give all agents a lot of credit, I hate them. I give a couple of the best a lot of credit for being the best for their clients. And Parker is one of the best.